Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2023, 06:46 PM

34,087 posts, read 17,145,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
He's being identified as a "16-year-old juvenile," so, I'd assume so.
He'll have to hear three verses of Officer Krumpke as his sentence, no doubt.

We have taken a position of not truly punishing violent thugs in Ct in any meaningful way. Until the population wakes up and punishes our pols in power as their sentence, nothing will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 05:30 AM

21,656 posts, read 31,274,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
He's being identified as a "16-year-old juvenile," so, I'd assume so.
A juvenile who is at least age 14 may be treated as an adult if he is charged with certain serious offenses, would not benefit from treatment or care at an available facility, and is a danger to society. I’d imagine he checks all three boxes.

Old 09-23-2023, 05:31 AM

6,971 posts, read 3,788,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

We have taken a position of not truly punishing violent thugs in Ct in any meaningful way.
I think most violence is still dealt with Bob. Even I'm not THAT dramatic.
States like CT, in the Northeast and West Coasts have taken a postition of compassion and sympathy for criminals. It's something you just have to accept and live with if you wish to continue living in one these states, like hundreds and hundreds of millions will.
It is what it is as they like to say these days. Voting won't work, you're outnumbered. The only alternative is to start packing your bags.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
States like CT, in the Northeast and West Coasts have taken a postition of compassion and sympathy for criminals.
and no compassion for victims in these states. I agree.

A violent 14 year old will be a violent 30 year old, as they showed early on they are nothing but rotten to the core.

Old 09-23-2023, 08:33 AM

512 posts, read 443,968 times
Quote:
I think most violence is still dealt with Bob. Even I'm not THAT dramatic.
States like CT, in the Northeast and West Coasts have taken a postition of compassion and sympathy for criminals. It's something you just have to accept and live with if you wish to continue living in one these states, like hundreds and hundreds of millions will.
It is what it is as they like to say these days. Voting won't work, you're outnumbered. The only alternative is to start packing your bags.
Unfortunately there’s no escaping the increase in crime, it’s happening happening nationwide. This recent similar event happened in Dallas, TX. Apparently there’s a word for this, called “jugging”. The video in the below link is very scary. I think if/when enough voters are impacted by such crimes, they will start pressuring their local leaders to be tougher on crime. We’re certainly not there yet.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/22/video-...lthy-investor/

Old 09-23-2023, 11:24 AM

752 posts, read 556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
He'll have to hear three verses of Officer Krumpke as his sentence, no doubt.

We have taken a position of not truly punishing violent thugs in Ct in any meaningful way. Until the population wakes up and punishes our pols in power as their sentence, nothing will change.
I understand the skepticism, however, there is a line when it comes to violent crime. Most violent crime IS punished.

Remember that this case in Westport is different from a typical car theft-- this was a carjacking with the victim present. He was assaulted. I think this kid is going to see time inside.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:29 AM

752 posts, read 556,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Unfortunately there’s no escaping the increase in crime, it’s happening happening nationwide. This recent similar event happened in Dallas, TX. Apparently there’s a word for this, called “jugging”. The video in the below link is very scary. I think if/when enough voters are impacted by such crimes, they will start pressuring their local leaders to be tougher on crime. We’re certainly not there yet.

We've had periods of worse crime in the US. It's cyclical to some extent.

The research shows that certainty of punishment is a much larger deterrent than long sentences. I would think the more we could do to help police solve crimes and ensure criminals serve reasonable sentences. It is the cycle of being caught and released with minimum sanction that causes what we are seeing now.

We have to look at the whole CJ system-- more consistent sentencing, more racial equity, more intervention and diversion for first time offenders would all be of benefit. We've tried locking them up and throwing away the key. We've tried minimizing sanctions and hoping for the best. Maybe it's time to aim for the reasonable middle and base what we do on research and best practices we see elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2023, 04:00 PM

6,971 posts, read 3,788,520 times
Quote:

How did Dallas handle it? Has TX taken a softer more compassionate view?
What I’m getting at is the way states are handling crime and the stances they’re taking, not so much the amount or spikes.
I hope Digital Milford gets at least 25% of this

Old 09-23-2023, 06:12 PM

512 posts, read 443,968 times
Quote:
How did Dallas handle it? Has TX taken a softer more compassionate view?
What I’m getting at is the way states are handling crime and the stances they’re taking, not so much the amount or spikes.
I hope Digital Milford gets at least 25% of this
I’m not sure how Dallas handled this case, but how Dallas handles their crime I’m sure differs from other cities, towns and counties in TX.

Below in an interesting article how one politician changes her tune from defunding the police after being carjacked.

“Sathanandan was the victim of a violent carjacking outside her house in the Twin Cities around 7:45 p.m. on Tuesday. The attack happened in front of her 4-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son.

The prairie politician posted a photo of her bloodied face on Facebook — and she’s calling for scalps. Credit where due.

She wrote: “I have a broken leg, deep lacerations on my head, bruising, and cuts all over my body. And I have rage.”

The article sums it up pretty well.

“It is a truism that pols do little when it comes to crime unless it affects them directly. The words “out of touch” strike a chord far too often.

God forbid anything happen to any of our elected officials, or their families.

What then?

Would they continue to blow off the anguished cries of mothers whose children have been murdered? Brush off early parole for a cold-blooded killer? Or the transfer of one of the nation’s most infamous killers to a softer prison?

I would expect that two-thirds of politicians would suddenly get behind a more realistic worldview of crime in this country.

It took a terrifying carjacking that could have turned deadly to change the tune for Shivanthi Sathanandan. Is that what it’s going to take here?

I hope not.”

https://torontosun.com/news/world/hu...ody-carjacking

Last edited by EmiSky; 09-23-2023 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Added a quote

Old 09-23-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:

“It is a truism that pols do little when it comes to crime unless it affects them directly. The words “out of touch” strike a chord far too often.

God forbid anything happen to any of our elected officials, or their families.

What then?

Would they continue to blow off the anguished cries of mothers whose children have been murdered? Brush off early parole for a cold-blooded killer? Or the transfer of one of the nation’s most infamous killers to a softer prison?

I would expect that two-thirds of politicians would suddenly get behind a more realistic worldview of crime in this country.

It took a terrifying carjacking that could have turned deadly to change the tune for Shivanthi Sathanandan. Is that what it’s going to take here?

I hope not.”

https://torontosun.com/news/world/hu...ody-carjacking
I also think sometimes someone defending themselves and it getting well publicized is a foreshadowing of a shift. IMO, and I went to college in NYC during the Koch years, visited monthly (Little Italy) through the mid 90s, Bernie Goetz was a foreshadowing that soft on crime Dinkins would be replaced by tough on crime Giuliani. NYC prosecutors tried Bernie twice and seemed startled that fed up NYC juries would not convict him on serious charges. Bear in mind, it was also the era the Guardian Angels were a force welcomed by the vast majority of the city. They didn't use guns, but pro boxers would have been impressed by them. LOL.

The soft on crime folks here are just a passing phase in terms of having critical mass.

PS: Ct Gun Ownership is up sharply in recent years, and young adult women have shown the sharpest % increase. One of these days, a teenage thug will try to attack someone packing, and will, no doubt, learn an invaluable lesson in 2A rights.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 09-23-2023 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut