Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:17 AM

143 posts, read 122,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
OP was referring to people moving because of increases in authoritarian rule, not abortion.
Which many people see as authoritarian- the government taking away my bodily autonomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 07:29 AM

7,172 posts, read 3,900,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
OP was referring to people moving because of increases in authoritarian rule, not abortion.
Same thing
Both factions want to impose authoritarian rule. They would love to take away as many rights as possible that fits their ideologies.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:33 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,720,953 times
Default Moving to CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
That was before the recent Roe vs Wade decision.

I am now past my reproductive years. In my entire lifetime I never had to worry or think about and unwanted pregnancy. I can't imagine what all the young woman of a reproductive age are going through. I am very interested in articles on this subject and have been reading all of them I come across.

I am reading many articles where many young woman (and men too) are now worried about the state they are living in. I am reading stories about young woman turning down scholarships in red states to go to college in blue states. Or young women who had a college picked out in a red state switching to a blue state. I can't imagine this new SCOTUS will stand but if it does I believe the ramifications will be enormous.

BTW the blue states are not safe either if the Republicans win total power in 2024....or beyond with the makeup of the Supreme Court.

It should be interesting to see which way the moving vans are going in each age bracket in the future.

My husband who was born down south made an interesting statement. He said if I was a young man down south right now I would get out fast. Now with DNA there will be a lot of men in conservative states paying for children that they otherwise would not have to support.

I am one who migrated from the Midwest on down to Georgia over 40 years ago.
Since then, I've often lamented that I probably would never have made that particular move if I had realized the direction the state would take politically eventually in terms of the radical far right policies the Republicans would seek to put in place once they gained total political control off all levers of state government after the Millennium.
To be clear, I'm far better able to deal with moderate Republicanism given that's the environment I grew up in both at home and in terms my previous state government. As for the sharply radical right turn of much of the Republican Party in the U.S., they are now a "no-go" party for me.

Georgia, as has been highlighted in the political news of the past few years, is heading toward purple status and who knows where it may be 5 years from now.
My own expectation is that the trend here will generally continue in that direction but not be a steady one. As such, the "blue" political and social environment of a state like Connecticut has long held an appeal for me.

A factor possibly in Connecticut's favor not discussed here, is the global warming one which, other than an increased flooding risk on the shoreline there, may make a cooler summer in Connecticut desirable for those fleeing the worsening summer heat below the Mason-Dixon line.
I have followed weather trends, patterns and data for years and am astounded at the warm-up that is occurring!
For example, have any of you been watching the weather misery in Texas this summer?
Just today I read a national news media story on Houstonians and their record-breaking heat so far this season & in late spring. Houstonians it said are basically hunkered down inside, cocooned, as it were, in their air conditioned environments so as to escape the big heat.
And that, my friends, is no way to spend a summer in my book!

As such, I cannot fathom working for a company that announces it would move to that state and then expect it's employees to relocate there. On the weather factor alone I would just say no! Period! By contrast, Connecticut is definitely more appealing!

Old 07-13-2022, 08:43 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,199,619 times
So there will be a huge uptick in studio/1 bedroom apt/houses here!?

Macron in France bemoaning the SC decision while his own country restricts it to 14 weeks!
I'm adopted fwiw

Old 07-13-2022, 08:50 AM

873 posts, read 528,587 times
Yeah, masks are a bigger liberty issue than abortion. Right.

If people think the Dobbs decision isn't going to impact states over time, they are foolish. I don't expect a mass exodus, but Dobbs and other trends will absolutely, over time, impact peoples decisions of where to live and raise a family. I have a daughter and a portable career. I wouldn't raise children, especially not my daughter, in Ameristan (Texas, Tennessee, etc.) I have friends on states with bans and potential bans who are looking to relocate because of the totality of the shifts that are happening.

I'm sure it also works both ways, too. I'm more than happy lose the anti-mask, anti-vaccine, pro-gun, anti-public education pro-Theocracy crowd and take people who want great public education, access to abortion and birth control, LGBTQ protections, and freedom FROM religion.

Last edited by WestRiverTraveler; 07-13-2022 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-13-2022, 08:56 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,199,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Yeah, masks are a bigger liberty issue than abortion. Right.
Think masks/ vaccines serving to protect against an unwanted outcome more closely relate to birth control, smart decision making. Don't you??

Old 07-13-2022, 09:26 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,055,095 times
This thread only reinforces how little I, as a woman of childbearing age, want men who are unrelated to me having any kind of say in my medical decisions

Old 07-13-2022, 10:50 AM

486 posts, read 521,605 times
Here is one for you. My family moved from Western MA 5 years ago to Florida. At the time all I did wash bash Connecticut. 5 years later we are seeing fascism rising here in Florida. My wife is a teacher and is terrified of what will be asked of her. The county one over just passed rules requiring teachers to out kids who newly identify as LGBTQ+ to their parents, with the teacher being liable if they just forget to do it. They are making them take down safe space stickers. She has had kids tell her in confidence that they are no longer straight and that their parents will kill them if they find out. Then there are the new "civics" rules downplaying slavery, saying the founders did not mean the separate christianity and government, etc.

We moved here to be in a purple state where every vote counted, but it's now deep red via gerrymandering and the governor putting little fascist yes men into every position and open judge around.

I have a daughter, so the abortion stuff matters too. I may not like it potential outcomes, but she should be allowed her choice. All indications is that the GOP will ban it outright in the state next legislative session, and that the governor will sign it.

At this point I am just hoping the value on my house stays high long enough for us to make it through the next school year, its too late to move before then.

Old 07-13-2022, 11:12 AM

3,211 posts, read 3,601,509 times
Aside from some of the states that appear to be aspiring to criminalize abortion (which is not all 'red states'), I do not see how more conservative states are any more "authoritarian" than "progressive" states. Given Democratic states' sweeping and often draconian executive actions during the pandemic, that argument or insult rings entirely hollow to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
Here is one for you. My family moved from Western MA 5 years ago to Florida. At the time all I did wash bash Connecticut. 5 years later we are seeing fascism rising here in Florida.
Florida consistently ranks among the freest states in the country by almost every metric.

CATO Institute | Freedom in the 50 States

Old 07-13-2022, 11:53 AM

7,172 posts, read 3,900,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I'm sure it also works both ways, too. I'm more than happy lose the anti-mask, anti-vaccine, pro-gun, anti-public education pro-Theocracy crowd and take people who want great public education, access to abortion and birth control, LGBTQ protections, and freedom FROM religion.
Sometimes you can be both
I support the bold. I guess I'm a dying breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut