Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 05:46 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times

Advertisements

I was on Reddit today and saw this thread asking if people in Red States are considering moving to Connecticut to escape “increasingly authoritarian environment” there. Initially I thought no one would respond but surprisingly after just a few hours there were several seriously considering it or on their way. I’m wondering if we have any lurkers here? Anyone? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 05:49 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I’m sure there are some, but official numbers are showing the opposite is happening.

Old 07-12-2022, 06:32 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m sure there are some, but official numbers are showing the opposite is happening.

That was before the Roe decision....it may "awake a sleeping giant" to some degree even if totals will still be muffled by those who do the opposite (nowadays most Northeast to Florida moves are just that).

Old 07-12-2022, 06:48 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Anything is possible but it won’t be with any great numbers for the foreseeable future as it’s too cost prohibitive to go from red state to blue. It’s a blip on the radar. That could change over time. Who knows.
There’s no doubt that politically forced migration patterns are taking hold around the nation. Now more than ever before in history. New Mason Dixon lines are being drawn in the Divided States of America.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:11 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I do know quite a few people who hopped from PA to NY.

CT is surrounded by some pretty great states like RI MA NY and NJ. There may be so expdus from TX FL etc but given where CT is, it may fare better

Old 07-12-2022, 08:11 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That was before the recent Roe vs Wade decision.

I am now past my reproductive years. In my entire lifetime I never had to worry or think about and unwanted pregnancy. I can't imagine what all the young woman of a reproductive age are going through. I am very interested in articles on this subject and have been reading all of them I come across.

I am reading many articles where many young woman (and men too) are now worried about the state they are living in. I am reading stories about young woman turning down scholarships in red states to go to college in blue states. Or young women who had a college picked out in a red state switching to a blue state. I can't imagine this new SCOTUS will stand but if it does I believe the ramifications will be enormous.

BTW the blue states are not safe either if the Republicans win total power in 2024....or beyond with the makeup of the Supreme Court.

It should be interesting to see which way the moving vans are going in each age bracket in the future.

My husband who was born down south made an interesting statement. He said if I was a young man down south right now I would get out fast. Now with DNA there will be a lot of men in conservative states paying for children that they otherwise would not have to support.

Last edited by CTartist; 07-12-2022 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 08:27 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Anything is possible but it won’t be with any great numbers for the foreseeable future as it’s too cost prohibitive to go from red state to blue.
Really......who much does it cost to support a child you didn't want?

"So, how much does it cost to raise a kid? The average cost of raising a child born to a middle-income, married couple is approximately $267,000 (in 2021 dollars) over a period of 18 years".
https://www.westernsouthern.com/lear...World%20Report.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:35 PM

274 posts, read 144,168 times
If anything it seems people are fleeing blue states in favor of red states out of fear of authoritarian environment. Think Covid and the shutdowns really illustrated this.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:05 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,038,418 times
The Dobbs decision changed everything for a lot more people, but before Dobbs there were reports of young women/families leaving southern states prior to having children and that’s likely going to increase. I’m sure it doesn’t mean much to a lot of people but there are plenty of others who won’t set foot in a state that wishes to make medical decisions for women of childbearing age.

Last edited by hvexpatinct; 07-12-2022 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Changed wording

Old 07-13-2022, 03:20 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
If anything it seems people are fleeing blue states in favor of red states out of fear of authoritarian environment. Think Covid and the shutdowns really illustrated this.
Exactly.

And for everyone saying “it was before the Roe decision”, I encourage all of you to realize the Roe decision does not ban abortion and only a select few states (which are not NC, SC, TN, FL, etc, so CT has zero in common with) have pushed to limit the procedures.

Sorry, nobody’s moving to CT to “flee red states”. Many times, you can Reddit anything and find what you want. This is one of those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Exactly - and that’s what made me chuckle initially. It’s funny to read, especially post COVID during which the blue states have horrified people with their draconian measures, someone from a blue state accuse red states of being “authoritarian”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut