Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 12:12 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times

Advertisements

Politicians and the media make everything black or white. Life is really about shades of grey.
Try not to fall into the trap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 12:37 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Sometimes you can be both
I support the bold. I guess I'm a dying breed.
Your views are very common, and not a dying breed. Many conservative New Englanders and younger ones have the same exact philosophy as you.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 9,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Yeah, masks are a bigger liberty issue than abortion. Right.

If people think the Dobbs decision isn't going to impact states over time, they are foolish. I don't expect a mass exodus, but Dobbs and other trends will absolutely, over time, impact peoples decisions of where to live and raise a family. I have a daughter and a portable career. I wouldn't raise children, especially not my daughter, in Ameristan (Texas, Tennessee, etc.) I have friends on states with bans and potential bans who are looking to relocate because of the totality of the shifts that are happening.

I'm sure it also works both ways, too. I'm more than happy lose the anti-mask, anti-vaccine, pro-gun, anti-public education pro-Theocracy crowd and take people who want great public education, access to abortion and birth control, LGBTQ protections, and freedom FROM religion.
If you ask most conservatives in the states you dub ameristan, I assure you they view this as a feature not a flaw. they do not want an immense influx of liberals fleeing bad policy blue states and voting in the same bad policy.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:28 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I rarely hear any one talk about politics in Ct. I don't talk about it at all except for here. This forum is more like a bad SNL skit though and the opinions here don't represent the majority of CT residents.

If someone read the CT forum and didn't know the 50 states can have and do have different political ideologies they would think CT is as red as Florida, Kansas, or Ohio, etc.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:45 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Problem is both Democrats and Republicans can’t get out of their own way. There needs to be a third (and fourth, fifth, etc) party movement. I see that happening before any “break up”. It would take a LOT more to break up a country than this.

Common sense would say that would be the more likely outcome and I'm not saying you're totally incorrect on that, far from it, but I'm thinking of the one and probably the only scenario where secession even would be attempted. I can't think how else blue states would react if the combination of Trump or DeSantis and a fully red Congress bans abortion and/or birth control nationally in an absolute way. I think it would be just too much for blue states to take and I wouldn't blame them. If we were talking about guns as being the trigger for secession (pun intended) I'd fully agree with you. But I think Roe really woke up a sleeping giant and maybe the total 2024 scenario I paint won't happen as a result.

Since someone noted how France stops it at 14 weeks or something like that, if SCOTUS followed Roberts' lead and simply cut it to 15 weeks, I don't think we'd have the chaos that resulted and it would kind of be compromise. But I'd still want there to be exceptions for situations where it's "life of the mother". I think 15 weeks could easily be enough for rape though (but not 6! Or worse, total absolute bans).

Old 07-13-2022, 02:55 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Common sense would say that would be the more likely outcome and I'm not saying you're totally incorrect on that, far from it, but I'm thinking of the one and probably the only scenario where secession even would be attempted. I can't think how else blue states would react if the combination of Trump or DeSantis and a fully red Congress bans abortion and/or birth control nationally in an absolute way. I think it would be just too much for blue states to take and I wouldn't blame them. If we were talking about guns as being the trigger for secession (pun intended) I'd fully agree with you. But I think Roe really woke up a sleeping giant and maybe the total 2024 scenario I paint won't happen as a result.

Since someone noted how France stops it at 14 weeks or something like that, if SCOTUS followed Roberts' lead and simply cut it to 15 weeks, I don't think we'd have the chaos that resulted and it would kind of be compromise. But I'd still want there to be exceptions for situations where it's "life of the mother". I think 15 weeks could easily be enough for rape though (but not 6! Or worse, total absolute bans).

There will never be succession because the red states couldn't survive without the wealthy blue states.
Guns, abortion, healthcare don't matter. Once they see the true cost of Govt and once they see how much of the national debt they would have to absorb [in order to succeed] their political ideology would change within seconds.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
I think New Hampshire has more of the "conservative libertarian" streak that people would be looking for, if they just want the government to f-off. Of course, they'd have to be OK with colder winters. Live Free or Die... best license plate ever.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:36 PM

34,916 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Aside from some of the states that appear to be aspiring to criminalize abortion (which is not all 'red states'), I do not see how more conservative states are any more "authoritarian" than "progressive" states. Given Democratic states' sweeping and often draconian executive actions during the pandemic, that argument or insult rings entirely hollow to me.

Florida consistently ranks among the freest states in the country by almost every metric.

CATO Institute | Freedom in the 50 States
You must be kidding. The Cato Institute is a highly biased libertarian organization. Their ideas of freedom is hardly objective. I wouldn’t believe a ranking they give especially one that says Florida of all states is the freest. I’m sure Disney would disagree with that. Jay

Old 07-13-2022, 03:39 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiruko View Post
aside from some of the states that appear to be aspiring to criminalize abortion (which is not all 'red states'), i do not see how more conservative states are any more "authoritarian" than "progressive" states. Given democratic states' sweeping and often draconian executive actions during the pandemic, that argument or insult rings entirely hollow to me.

Florida consistently ranks among the freest states in the country by almost every metric.

cato institute | freedom in the 50 states
+1.

And the best part about it? FL isn’t even a red state. In a state of double digit millions, DeSantis won by only 30k votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That’s not the decision of the federal government.

You (and others) are talking like this decision ended abortion. It did not. SCOTUS solely said “this is not our area and we’re going to be hands off on the issue”. State’s rights is a form of freedom in its own way - it eliminates the Federal government’s abilities and puts a greater trust in local politics. Less big government = more freedom.

Old 07-13-2022, 03:46 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You must be kidding. The Cato Institute is a highly biased libertarian organization. Their ideas of freedom is hardly objective. I wouldn’t believe a ranking they give especially one that says Florida of all states is the freest. I’m sure Disney would disagree with that. Jay
Did you even look at their criteria? I doubt that you did. I think that their metrics are undeniably objective.

An Index of Personal and Economic Freedom: HOW IT'S CALCULATED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut