Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 03:46 PM

4,547 posts, read 6,834,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That's where the "unthinkable" about our country actually breaking up could actually happen. I don't think the blue states would put up with a national total abortion ban that has zero exceptions....or worse if there is a national "birth control" ban (if SCOTUS scuttles Griswold sometime between now and 2024).
Not going to happen. The breaking up of the country is not a realistic solution to solve these issues. If one thought they would be better off they are sadly mistaken. Our constitution is based on a dual system of government and any action that looks to formally separate states would likely result in another civil war. Pragmatically, it would lead to far worse economic and social consequences if we dissolved our country than to follow the process defined in the Constitution to find a solution to these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 04:50 PM

6,199 posts, read 2,952,006 times
Quote:
Since someone noted how France stops it at 14 weeks or something like that, if SCOTUS followed Roberts' lead and simply cut it to 15 weeks, I don't think we'd have the chaos that resulted and it would kind of be compromise. But I'd still want there to be exceptions for situations where it's "life of the mother". I think 15 weeks could easily be enough for rape though (but not 6! Or worse, total absolute bans).
Every single state has exceptions for the life of the mother. Almost every state has exceptions for rape and incest, which is only truly needed in states that enact strict limits. It should also be noted that abortions that occur due to rape, incest, or life of the mother only makeup about 1.5 percent of all abortions. The vast majority of abortions that occur are the result of unprotected sex.

If the Constitution does not explicitly state or imply that the right to an abortion is Constitutionally protected, then how would the Supreme Court be able to establish limits on abortion? The answer is that they cannot, which is why they completely left it up to the states.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:50 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,834,387 times
I saw a thread the other day and maybe it was in the Texas forum. They were discussing the politics and they were complaining about the unbearable heat and the strain of their power grid (or whatever you call it.) They were not happy and sounded kind of scared. Some did speak about the birth control and abortion issues and I know one said he had the money take his (niece? daughter) out of state if needed so he would stay in Texas and fight for rights.

I think some of the others said they were looking for places to move to. A good thing would be to check some of the threads on CD from the weirdo states.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:04 PM

21,705 posts, read 31,377,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
If the Constitution does not explicitly state or imply that the right to an abortion is Constitutionally protected, then how would the Supreme Court be able to establish limits on abortion? The answer is that they cannot, which is why they completely left it up to the states.
I have tried to explain this to so many (and I’m pro choice!) yet either people cannot comprehend it, or they refuse to acknowledge.

Old 07-13-2022, 05:16 PM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post

Correct. One key many uninformed people miss is the urge amongst pro choice folks for Congress to codify the right to an abortion. That is who is empowered to do so, in addition to states, and any legislative body able to codify can do so in EITHER direction. They miss the fact codifying is a right SCOTUS lacks.

Old 07-13-2022, 06:23 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,987,129 times
Quote:
That's where the "unthinkable" about our country actually breaking up could actually happen. I don't think the blue states would put up with a national total abortion ban that has zero exceptions....or worse if there is a national "birth control" ban (if SCOTUS scuttles Griswold sometime between now and 2024).
Do you really think either of those things is even remotely possible?

Old 07-13-2022, 07:25 PM

872 posts, read 526,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpqqq View Post
If you ask most conservatives in the states you dub ameristan, I assure you they view this as a feature not a flaw. they do not want an immense influx of liberals fleeing bad policy blue states and voting in the same bad policy.
Leaving aside the “bad policy” nonsense, I agree they think it’s a feature for them. Let’s see how well those states do down road when a huge portion of the highly educated, highly productive liberals leave. North Carolina might want to get rid off all the libs in the Triangle, Charlotte, and Asheville, but you can bet you butt the state benefits from them. When those companies who relocated there for lower taxes find out they can’t attract talent anymore, let’s see how great things look down there.

Maybe those companies go back or continue remote so talent can move. Progressives flock to the affordable parts of CT and MA. Massive resurgence in Eastern CT from Texas refugees. Killingly school board snaps and has a mass relocation to TN when progressives take over the town.

So sad for the women of Ameristan, but I’m also sad for women in Iran. We can’t fix them.

Big win for CT in the long run. Quiet corner and Naug Valley back to life. I’m ready.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:05 PM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post

Big win for CT in the long run. Quiet corner and Naug Valley back to life. I’m ready.
My first professional job was in the Naugatuck Valley, and I find that line hilarious.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:05 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,198,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I think some of the others said they were looking for places to move to. A good thing would be to check some of the threads on CD from the weirdo states.
Why don't you list which states you deem weirdo for us......

Old 07-14-2022, 12:06 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,198,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My first professional job was in the Naugatuck Valley, and I find that line hilarious.
Yes, everyone knows the CT valley is the secret epicenter of CT.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut