Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 06:18 AM

40 posts, read 9,928 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Southbury area but have a unique situation. I currently live on Long Island and for many reasons would like to relocate to CT but also am professionally committed to LI as I own a business here in Nassau Co. I cannot delegate my duties and work remotely and am not looking for business management advice here. I would need to trek to LI at least 4 days per week. Is this even doable? I am a high energy person who wakes up before the dawn and can get ahead of the morning traffic but am concerned about the return trip home plus the wear and tear on the car and days of bad weather. I don't have kids so there is no concern there. My wife does not have a job so she would need to adjust, seeing me less. Am I biting off more than I can chew in my desire to get the large suburban home on 2-3 acres at an affordable price giving me the NE vibe I have always wanted which is impossible to get on LI? Anyone know anyone who crossed this Rubicon? I know on paper this may seem like a ridiculous question but it is gnawing at me. I don't hold myself to the standard paradigms of life and have no problem doing things differently but I also am interested to learn any lessons from those who may have previously tried something similar. Advice and thoughts are greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 07:03 AM

710 posts, read 404,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeT72 View Post
Is this even doable?
Sorry to say, but not in the slightest. You would be insane for even trying.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:36 AM

Thanks Round. I appreciate the honest assessment. Is that based on any specific experience or is it a generalized thought?

Old 12-30-2023, 08:44 AM

7 posts, read 4,157 times
YankeeT72, I've done the commute from Danbury to NYC by train and car. Eventually I ended up finding a job closer to home that became remote. In the morning, traffic getting from 84 to 684 can be slow. 684 clears up after Katonah, but if you leave early in the morning, traffic won't be a problem (I have no clue about Whitestone/Throggs Neck bridge at that hour).

The afternoon commute is a huge wild card. From my experience, 84 tends to have accidents very frequently for some reason. After exit 8 it can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes to get to Southbury from Danbury. 684 can also back up if there is an accident, and there is always traffic getting onto 84 from 684. Even if these bottlenecks were not a problem and you hit a day without traffic, the commute is still really long.

Is a different town in CT an option? Can the Southbury home be a weekend home? That might give you what you are looking for if you only have to be in LI 4 days a week.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:55 AM

6,966 posts, read 3,788,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeT72 View Post
Thanks Round. I appreciate the honest assessment. Is that based on any specific experience or is it a generalized thought?
It's based on real facts. That commute would get old fast and start to wear you down over time, even if one way was less traffic like the wee morning hours. Then you have to spend your weekends upkeeping 2-3 acres my God, unless you hire landscaping services. I wouldn't want that life but YMMV.
Best

Old 12-30-2023, 10:56 AM

34,976 posts, read 57,065,662 times
I knew someone that commuted from Long Island to Bridgeport every day by ferry. She would drive to Port Jefferson and take the ferry and then would walk a few blocks to her job. It was long and grueling but she did it for 10 years. Your commute from Southbury would be a lot longer and more difficult. So by that I’d say no, it’s not doable.

You do not say what your budget is and other than 2 or 3 acres, what you expect/want for your budget. Maybe consider a coastal or second tier town near Bridgeport to use the ferry to lessen the commute. That certainly is more reasonable.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:13 AM

21,793 posts, read 28,166,701 times
I don’t think that’s doable. Even if you left at 4am, you still have to deal with rush hour traffic coming back.

I agree with ferry suggestion. Trumbull, Shelton, (north) Milford, Orange, Monroe are all relatively close to ferry and not too much different in pricing than Southbury. Maybe Easton but can get pricier.

Or if you must drive, look at closer towns like New Fairfield or Ridgefield.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:16 AM

21,793 posts, read 28,166,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
It's based on real facts. That commute would get old fast and start to wear you down over time, even if one way was less traffic like the wee morning hours. Then you have to spend your weekends upkeeping 2-3 acres my God, unless you hire landscaping services. I wouldn't want that life but YMMV.
Best
Most 2-3 acre properties are mostly woods which don’t need much attention. Honestly there’s often not a huge difference in practicality or privacy from 1-3 acres.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:47 AM

367 posts, read 782,396 times
Your best bet is the Bpt-Pt Jeff ferry commute but it would still be a grueling slog. On the CT side, you would do best in a town along or near the Merritt Pkwy. Any further north would be darn near impossible. On the LI side, you would then have a fairly long drive from Port Jeff to Naussau County.

You didn’t give a budget, but you might be better off finding a suburban home near one of the Metro North train lines (either CT or Westchester NY) and taking the train into NYC then switching to the LIRR.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:10 PM

A lot of great thoughts here. Much appreciated. A few people asked about budget. I think that's the easy part of this formula, I would probably look in the $750k-$1m range. I have been monitoring the market and can be easily satisfied with what that would buy me. I know the area well having spent much time up there with family and friends in that area. On LI, it is very difficult getting one acre of land for under a million and then the property taxes are usually well over $20k, if not $30k/yr. I know CT is not cheap, but I know I can get a much newer house, with about 1500 extra square feet and 1-3 acres well below the purchase price and tax base here. It really goes to quality of life, which I know seems very inconsistent with a massive commute. I have always enjoyed my time in CT, especially the more rural areas with access to hiking and more populated activities, hence Southbury. I knew I was pushing the boundaries even considering this move and that is why I reached out on this forum, hoping to hear from one unlikely soul who tried it and held the secret sauce. If I had a "normal" job that was fungible, I would not even hesitate. But my business cannot be moved to CT so I am anchored here professionally. Giving up that business would cost way too much money to me year over year, as I am just now beginning to reap the financial benefits. Too early to pull the rip cord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut