Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 02:52 AM

40 posts, read 9,835 times

Advertisements

Thanks, DIY. That does give some perspective. I imagine that does make the commute over the year more bearable. Summers are discounted and various weeks off during the year (Christmas, Winter break, Spring break, etc). I would be looking at about 50 weeks of the commute each year. Plus, I assume he can hit the road a bit earlier without the pull of the office, which is another concern of mine. Some days when I say I am going to leave early, say 3 or so, I look up and it is now 5pm because of calls, emails, paperwork or people coming into my office with issues. That is another concern I have. But this is all good information. I do thank you very much. It is helping me form the proper basis for my decision making process!

I have no doubt that the CT lifestyle is much more my speed but I need to know that I will have some time for that lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 04:46 AM

212 posts, read 262,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeT72 View Post
Thanks, DIY. That does give some perspective. I imagine that does make the commute over the year more bearable. Summers are discounted and various weeks off during the year (Christmas, Winter break, Spring break, etc). I would be looking at about 50 weeks of the commute each year. Plus, I assume he can hit the road a bit earlier without the pull of the office, which is another concern of mine. Some days when I say I am going to leave early, say 3 or so, I look up and it is now 5pm because of calls, emails, paperwork or people coming into my office with issues. That is another concern I have. But this is all good information. I do thank you very much. It is helping me form the proper basis for my decision making process!

I have no doubt that the CT lifestyle is much more my speed but I need to know that I will have some time for that lifestyle.
Well like I said, some North Shore towns have the same vibe. Like Stony Brook village and East Setauket. Worth looking into for sure.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:56 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeT72 View Post

Leaving at 3 doesn’t help. That’s rush hour traffic already.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:25 AM

352 posts, read 162,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Leaving at 3 doesn’t help. That’s rush hour traffic already.
This. If you aren't in Norwalk area by 2pm you are stuck.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:22 PM

If in the Danbury area you don’t go by Norwalk. You take 95 to the Hutchinson River Parkway to 684 to 84. So it really depends on the location.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:25 PM

For us, the majority of the traffic was simply getting off Long Island. Which is part of the reason why we wanted to get out of Long Island because we were tired of the congestion, and only really one way on or off the island. However, as long as you don’t need to get off of Long Island, there are points east in Suffolk that are significantly less congested, although even 25/25A get pretty backed up at times.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 9,835 times
Agreed. I do like Stony Brook Village, Setauket and even Shoreham on east a bit, although you have to be somewhat careful as you move points east. The prices are considerably higher than the counterparts in CT and of course the property taxes are easily $10k+ more per year. We have been monitoring the market in northern Suffolk with an eye to Stony Brook in particular.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:03 PM

352 posts, read 162,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
If in the Danbury area you don’t go by Norwalk. You take 95 to the Hutchinson River Parkway to 684 to 84. So it really depends on the location.
This is all rationalization. During the course of last 7 years I've been to Long Island twice and trying to minimize the need to go there. Commute to LI from CT is hell.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:19 PM

No, I am not rationalizing anything. Which is why I also suggested areas on the North shore of Long Island. But the thing to keep in mind is that traveling from one part of Long Island to another part of Long Island can also be hell. We lived in Ridge for a while (near Shoreham) and when trying to commute to Nassau County we might as well have lived in central Connecticut. Even commuting from Sayville could be a PIA sometimes when we lived there for 8 years. Even going South Shore Suffolk to South Shore Nassau. The traffic on Long Island takes forever to get through. And taxes across the island are HIGH. So commuting from one part of the island to another is not always a walk in the park either.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:21 PM

I miss the beaches. And I really miss Port Jeff Village. But I do not at all miss the congestion and traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut