Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 01:28 PM

40 posts, read 9,849 times

Advertisements

Basement, I commute into Jericho. So not far off the LIE. I honestly believe that makes it easier in this scenario. I worked for many years near Freeport prior to that.

You hit it right on the head with the vibe. LI is all about the beaches and summer living. That has never been my thing. No judgments, just not me. I was born and raised here and happened to build a successful business here. Stayed here originally for family. If not for my business, if I were just an employee, this would be a super easy decision. I would be off this paved over sand bar. But life is never that easy. I might have to tough it out another decade or so. But I am exploring all options. You are correct about the east end, there is a certain NE vibe in parts there as well as the Stony Brook area. Honestly, I think my best bet is the Stony Brook area, but to me it would still be a "poor man's" version of the more Yankee life I would desire up in CT.

Thanks for your thoughts. You seem to be cut from the same cloth as I!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 01:33 PM

212 posts, read 263,006 times
What kind of business do you run? Is it something that could eventually be relocated or operated more remotely?

Old 01-07-2024, 01:41 PM

It's professional services and I have partners. Must be based off of LI. If I could expand a client base north of the city, I could justify opening a satellite office in Westchester which would solve my problem. I know a man who commutes from Newtown to there and it takes just over an hour, which I currently do. But I don't have the option just yet.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:30 PM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeT72 View Post
It's professional services and I have partners. Must be based off of LI. If I could expand a client base north of the city, I could justify opening a satellite office in Westchester which would solve my problem. I know a man who commutes from Newtown to there and it takes just over an hour, which I currently do. But I don't have the option just yet.
Westchester is wayyyy more doable.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:13 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
There actually are very good towns in Connecticut with homes under 400,000.

Listen, I grew up in Connecticut. I know what it is like. But I spent a long time on Long Island in my adult years, and I can tell you that you may think that towns in Connecticut are homogenous, but it is much more so on Long Island.

There are towns and cities in Connecticut with diversity. Danbury is diverse. You will find people of different colors and ethnicities. You will also find different socioeconomic groups. It is hard to find a town like that on Long Island. You are either rich or you are poor. Very few truly middle-class neighborhoods.
Any town or city in CT, NY or LI with 80K population is going to be diverse

Old 01-07-2024, 03:44 PM

Not true. The larger towns on Long Island still are not diverse. They have one group of people or another. Very homogenous. Not diverse at all. Back in the day, the realtors used to practice segregation and only show people of certain backgrounds certain areas. And it has stuck. There are different groups of people on Long Island. That is true. But they are grouped together in certain towns. You do not see diversity within a town. Just one group of people or another.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:49 PM

DIY, is absolutely correct. I have lived on LI for well over 50 years and the towns are entirely segregated.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Westchester is wayyyy more doable.
Agreed. And there are plenty of areas in Westchester where you can have more space and privacy.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:28 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
Not true. The larger towns on Long Island still are not diverse. They have one group of people or another. Very homogenous. Not diverse at all. Back in the day, the realtors used to practice segregation and only show people of certain backgrounds certain areas. And it has stuck. There are different groups of people on Long Island. That is true. But they are grouped together in certain towns. You do not see diversity within a town. Just one group of people or another.
The larger ones are. Valley Stream is.
Come on guys, Danbury is 80K, of course it's going to be diverse. It's also more middle class across the board. There isn't much in the way of socioeconomic diversity in Danbury.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:48 PM

352 posts, read 163,354 times
Half of Danbury population is renters with median income of $80k. This isn't by any means a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut