Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Funny - Mr. Waterbury brought it to the Florida forum in hopes of causing trouble and further debate, but instead their responses mirrored ours.

As a high school student im not going to lie Miami High schools are Terrible but to say that for Coral Reef and SAS... im sorry but you are wrong those schools are great i myself tried to get into Coral reef but was unable because it was too late for me to join the magnet program. MAST is also a great school. Sure miami has a lot of terrrible schools but not all are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
As a high school student im not going to lie Miami High schools are Terrible but to say that for Coral Reef and SAS... im sorry but you are wrong those schools are great i myself tried to get into Coral reef but was unable because it was too late for me to join the magnet program. MAST is also a great school. Sure miami has a lot of terrrible schools but not all are bad.
We were talking about public school districts - IMO a school you have to be "accepted" to doesn't count as a public school.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Quote:
We were talking about public school districts - IMO a school you have to be "accepted" to doesn't count as a public school.
Every single public high school in southern Orange County in California made this Newsweek list and NONE of our schools are magnet schools. Looking at the list, most California schools on there are traditional neighborhood schools, not magnets. The CT schools had just as equal a change as our schools did. I don't know why everyone is freaking out. It is just one list that looks at which schools have the strongest AP and IB programs. Maybe some of the CT schools don't have large AP or IB programs, that is FINE. They probably still have amazing programs that aren't focused on AP or IB. Maybe if the list was changed to best "AP/IB Programs" instead of "Best High Schools" people would calm down.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:35 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Maybe if the list was changed to best "AP/IB Programs" instead of "Best High Schools" people would calm down.
You're right. The whole point here is that the schools with the best AP/IB programs are not necessarily the "best high schools". Some can't seem to understand this.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Funny - Mr. Waterbury brought it to the Florida forum in hopes of causing trouble and further debate, but instead their responses mirrored ours.
OMG. Too funny. Ur missing his shout out to New York also.

//www.city-data.com/forum/westc...kers-high.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...p-florida.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...a-schools.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...a-schools.html

Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times
Quote:

the school is a public school, just to get in from out of the area you need to go for a magnet.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times
Quote:
You're right. The whole point here is that the schools with the best AP/IB programs are not necessarily the "best high schools". Some can't seem to understand this.

OK, that may be your opinion. But the fact is today's colleges look at AP/IB classes as a determinant for acceptance. If you go to the Princeton Review (or buy the book), they will even tell you if the college that you're applying to reviews IB/AP tests for admission.

Some can't even seem to understand this? You're the one that found it unacceptable that Florida high schools made the list. I'm PROMOTING the list. You're the one that can't understand it. It appears that you don't understand how it works.

And by the way, you should take a look at the definition of "Public School". You can't just redefine the word "Public" to mean what you feel like making it mean. Schools in large cities have acceptance policies for certain schools so they can be challenge students that wouldn't be challenged in an ordinary environment.

Say, for example, I am a student in an inner city public school. As an eighth grader, I am placed in a class with other inner city students. Those other students don't want to be an astronaut like I want to be an astronaut. They have no real goals because, in an inner city school, there is a very good chance that the parents of many of the students may not have the education or the interest to push their kids to greatness. So if a school system knows this, why should I (the eighth grader) have to go to a school with low potential? Shouldn't I be able to go to a public school where everyone has the same potential and demonstrated ability as I?

Achievement-based (acceptance) high schools bridge the gap so the kids in the city can have the same opportunities as kids in the suburbs. And to be honest, as a Connecticut resident, I would think that someone would be proud that Connecticut high schools are performing as well as achievement-based high schools in states like Florida.

For a better example, see www.stuy.edu, one of New York City's premier high schools.

(Trying to be reasonable)

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:

You obviously haven't read ALL of the links. Look particularly at the Yonkers' response. VERY accurate.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
I wouldn't pay any attention to this list...schools that were on this list for years (Ridgefield and New Fairfield) are not on it now? What, are these school systems failing now? Alot of school systems have pulled out of this study. I see alot of schools for FL on the list, FL schools are not that good...another example, Yonkers NY is # 136...there is noooo way they are the 136th best school in the country...no way! People never move to Yonkers for their schools...they move out!

Wow.

You realize that Florida is a state of almost TWENTY MILLION people?

To brand the state with your blanket assumption is... well... not very educated.

Besides, the list ranks individual HIGH SCHOOLS, not school systems. One of the Florida schools on the list, Lincoln Park Academy, is located in Fort Pierce, in St. Lucie County. That particular area has a very large socioeconomically disadvantaged population, and a large migrant population that often has struggles with the English language. Most schools in that city don't "grade" well for that reason (compared with schools in the same county, with the same resources, drawing from the same teacher talent pool, but in a different city that is majority white - Port St. Lucie).

BUT, to take away from Lincoln Park's achievement because it is located in a district that doesn't do well "overall" does nothing but assuage those who are mad little Johnny doesn't go to a top school despite all those taxes.

I also note that many Palm Beach County schools also make the list fairly high up on the chart (SunCoast, Dreyfoos School of the Arts), however, high schools that serve family suburbs are also included, and ranked in the 300 - 400 range (Palm Beach Gardens High, Dwyer High).... these are not schools you have to "place" into.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wow.

You realize that Florida is a state of almost TWENTY MILLION people?

To brand the state with your blanket assumption is... well... not very educated.

Besides, the list ranks individual HIGH SCHOOLS, not school systems. One of the Florida schools on the list, Lincoln Park Academy, is located in Fort Pierce, in St. Lucie County. That particular area has a very large socioeconomically disadvantaged population, and a large migrant population that often has struggles with the English language. Most schools in that city don't "grade" well for that reason (compared with schools in the same county, with the same resources, drawing from the same teacher talent pool, but in a different city that is majority white - Port St. Lucie).

BUT, to take away from Lincoln Park's achievement because it is located in a district that doesn't do well "overall" does nothing but assuage those who are mad little Johnny doesn't go to a top school despite all those taxes.

I also note that many Palm Beach County schools also make the list fairly high up on the chart (SunCoast, Dreyfoos School of the Arts), however, high schools that serve family suburbs are also included, and ranked in the 300 - 400 range (Palm Beach Gardens High, Dwyer High).... these are not schools you have to "place" into.

+1 for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut