Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,814 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm surprised there are not more CT schools on the list.

I grew up in SoCal and moved to the East coast for college. There are good schools in CA but you have to look for them, and then you have to be able to afford to live in that district. Quality education in SoCal is much more difficult to find than it is in CT. I moved here 4 years ago and was instantly pleased with how you can strike up an intelligent conversation with just about anybody, even and especially the blue collar people in CT. In SoCal, forget it. It's not hip to have brains. It's hip to look good and pretend you have money.

I don't know anything about schools in FL, that can be a good or a bad thing. It looks like a lot of the schools are huge with large class sizes, so I will go with not good, since the student to teacher ratio is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy1979

I don't know anything about schools in FL, that can be a good or a bad thing. It looks like a lot of the schools are huge with large class sizes, so I will go with not good, since the student to teacher ratio is higher.
In Florida, class size for grades K - 3 is capped at 18 students.

For grades 4 - 8, the class size is capped at 22 for "core" classes

For high school, the class size is capped at 25 for "core" classes (electives and such would naturally have a larger class size).

Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 AM

252 posts, read 769,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In Florida, class size for grades K - 3 is capped at 18 students.

For grades 4 - 8, the class size is capped at 22 for "core" classes

For high school, the class size is capped at 25 for "core" classes (electives and such would naturally have a larger class size).
Unless that's a new policy, or there's new adherance to an old policy, i doubt those cap figures.

When i visited public schools in Boca and Coral Springs, i heard (from school staff) that classes were routinely filled with 40+ students, some having to sit on the floor for lack of enough desks. This in schools that our realtor touted as being "excellent."

Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourdreamhouse View Post
Unless that's a new policy, or there's new adherance to an old policy, i doubt those cap figures.

When i visited public schools in Boca and Coral Springs, i heard (from school staff) that classes were routinely filled with 40+ students, some having to sit on the floor for lack of enough desks. This in schools that our realtor touted as being "excellent."
Same thing with public schools in Sarasota...also touted as being "excellent".

Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
My cousin found the same thing around Jacksonville. Jay

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 34,605 times
Fitch isn't on the list anymore. I just ran a search of CT using the link provided and there were 17 school, but not Fitch.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM

181 posts, read 557,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblc View Post
Fitch isn't on the list anymore. I just ran a search of CT using the link provided and there were 17 school, but not Fitch.
I don't know. I just scanned the list and all of the schools were still on there. The list shouldn't have changed. They essentially pick the list each year and leave the results from the other years on their respective lists. So even next year this list should still be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut