Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 02:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by witnessachange View Post
where are you reading or where do you live?? weather.com is saying for all snow and some rain.. all this week for naugatuck all the way north
West Hartford... rain is being called for.
I'd much rather have snow, but that's not what weather.com is predicting for us here.

ETA: It does say Rain/Snow, but that really means rain and that the snow is not going to stick... which means my backyard (and my dog) will be a mud pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OK, you weather gurus, which site do you have more faith in being correct?

weather.com?

NOAA?

accuweather?

The reason that I'm asking is that both weather.com and NOAA are calling for rain for four days this coming week, but accuweather is calling for a bit of snow. I always trusted weather.com as my weather bible, but since recently finding accuweather, I began to trust that more. But the discrepancy is making me trust it less.

Which site is your go-to and most trusted weather site?
I wouldn't say there is one reliable source of weather info. But if pressed... :-)
I'd say weather.com is the worst, very general many times, I'd never base my plans on their forecasts

NOAA NWS.. depends on which station has jurisdiction over your area. For Northern CT it's the Taunton, MA station. For Southern CT it's Upton, NY. Both stations have different levels of conservatism. They do provide nice detailed forecast discussions may many times there's "low confidence" in their forecasts until it's 6hrs till the start of the storm.

The storm before this last one was a major bust for many weather stations... weather.com, accuweather, local tv stations.

My favorite places to keep tabs on the weather are actually the accuweather.com forums. There you have pros, pro ams, and pure ams all talking about individual storms up to 3 weeks in advance. It can get confusing at times but you get used to following the threads. I like Henry M. on accuweather blogs as well, he does a daily vid blog. He's not always accurate but he details his forecasts nicely.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
For me, it would have to be NWS BOX (Taunton)

I haven't taken Accuweather seriously for years, though part of that was from their attempts to lobby a former Pennsylvania senator to eliminate the NWS for forecasting purposes.

Weather Channel seems a bit too sensationalist for my liking - however I do like their radar displays the best.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
For me, it would have to be NWS BOX (Taunton)

I haven't taken Accuweather seriously for years, though part of that was from their attempts to lobby a former Pennsylvania senator to eliminate the NWS for forecasting purposes.

Weather Channel seems a bit too sensationalist for my liking - however I do like their radar displays the best.
At first, I was going to say, "Sure! Throw another site into the mix and make me even more confused!" but then I saw that NWS BOX is NOAA.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Agree on both points, and here's the latest sensationalism: weather : news headlines - weather.com Snowstorm ahead: what you need to know

Though if you read the OKX (and presumably BOX) discussion, it's sounding like a good chance that much of CT will be rain as well as Boston and NYC until you get well north and west of both cities.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 AM

This rain/snow mix is awful. No snow is sticking, but walking the dog this morning was like walking in an ankle-deep Slurpee. Feh!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Got a couple of inches of the heavy wet stuff. Looks like it went to rain within the last few hours though, as there's not much more on top of my tracks last night.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Hartford area--Can you say "bust" one more time?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Yes it was just rain in Hartford but just a few miles northwest and the snow really did pile up. Jay

Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
What was with all the schools letting out early or closing altogether today...???

I've been driving around all day and the roads are completely clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut