Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
This Accuweather article is interesting not just for the story, but the map that shows the historical chance not of a white Christmas per se, but of having 5" or more on the ground on Dec. 25. That is quite low, the 20% line is just south of the CT/MA border.......

AccuWeather.com - Outdoor - Why We Hope for a White Christmas (But Probably Won't Have One) (http://www.accuweather.com/en/outdoor-articles/outdoor-living/why-we-hope-for-a-white-christ-1/58856 - broken link)
That is an interesting map…but I actually saw that a few years ago.

It doesn’t really surprise me that the line is so far from southern Connecticut/Long Island/NYC and points south, but it is a bit surprising to see that 20% line up near Massachusetts. When one conjures up images of old fashioned Christmas time in New England and Boston countryside, the image of deep snow is what many think of.

On the other hand…I have a few friends who live outside of Atlantic City, NJ, and they saw they have seen only a handful of white Christmas in 30 years. So the line of white XMASS vs. no white XMASS is very sharp on the East Coast it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Did things change regarding the Dec. 19-21 storm? I see NWS is only showing "mostly cloudy" for the 19th and 20th now (they were showing rain chances for the 19th yesterday). Temps definitely too warm for anything other than wet snow (mid 40s in NYC, so I'm assuming only see 30s in NW CT and adjacent upstate NY/western MA), but I know Accuweather was already saying that part today. Just wondering.....

Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Did things change regarding the Dec. 19-21 storm? I see NWS is only showing "mostly cloudy" for the 19th and 20th now (they were showing rain chances for the 19th yesterday). Temps definitely too warm for anything other than wet snow (mid 40s in NYC, so I'm assuming only see 30s in NW CT and adjacent upstate NY/western MA), but I know Accuweather was already saying that part today. Just wondering.....
Still long range , forecasts will change because data flowing into the models are changing.

Light rain tomorrow.

19th storm back in the game now and details will be ironed out soon.

24th storm is the one to keep your eye on. If the southern Jet and polar jet phase at the right time it would mean a hefty storm for us. Too far out still but the "potential" is there.

This is for the 20th... If that low shifts south it would mean some snow for parts of CT. I'm more concerned about the 24th actually.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:30 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
I think your right, based on most of the forecasts they are putting out at this point. The southeast ridge looks to stay strong right through XMASS. This should result in the most storms passing to the north and west of CT/NYC/NJ. It looks like it will be pretty mild on the 19th and 20th in most of the Tri-State area.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This is for the 20th... If that low shifts south it would mean some snow for parts of CT. I'm more concerned about the 24th actually.
Yeah, AccuWeather's long range forecast (they actually go 15 days!) mentions some "stuff" for Christmas Eve and Day. That would be funny after all the talk (and I don't mean from Wavehunter, but by the weather people themselves) about no chance of it being "a white one" this Holiday Season (apparently there was a big Xmas Eve storm locally in 1966 and as I'm sure most remember, in 2002 rain turned to ice and snow during the course of Xmas Day). Almost as funny as it snowing just before Halloween and then not even a flurry well into December......

Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM

From Larry Cosgrove. Still far away but when you can recognize other features sometimes it helps with "possibilities"

I noticed this looking at the 500mb pattern lately.

Quote:
There are important changes in the upper atmospheric pattern that will lead to an alteration in the national weather scene before the Christmas weekend.
Like I said, lets get through this week first before going over any potential with that storm. Just know the atmosphere is ready to be amped up.

Here's your Non Bias "CT Weather" forecast. Warmest days of the week come Thursday and Friday getting to low 50s then a sharp cold front comes through and temps stay below normal for the weekend. A storm off shore on Sunday will keep us cloudy with flurries around as high temps stay in the mid 30s.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Again, I am getting tired of the attacks and flames on this thread. I will no longer tolerate these comments on this thread. If it continues, I will begin banning posters. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM

December 20 & 24 Storm Update:

Just want to post a couple of things but first mention how every update is different and has a whole different senario. The "potential" is there for these dates.. Not the 16th, not the 23rd, not the 9th.. 2 Storms showing up...one around Dec.20th (could be 19th or 21st)... AND one on December 24 (could be 23rd or 25th) OR it can be nothing.

Because its constantly showing up I'm confident at least one of them will happen.

Once time gets closer we go over temps and track.

Ok..... Here is last nights update.. Has a storm on the 21st and NONE on the 25th. This "would" be a snow to a lot of rain back to light snow event.

This is the last update:
Storm on the 21st. This "would" also be a rain to snow event and most likely accumulating since the trough is deeper and more negative with a stronger storm.

Also from last update shows one on the 25th. This stays far enough off shore to not only bring less precip into the area but keep things cold and provide light snow showers.

Moral of story... things will change until we get closer.

Models are not handling the atmosphere well and the phasing of the jets. But the potential is there and we'll have to keep an eye on it.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Quick heads up again if you're leaving early tomorrow and in Northern Tier of CT. Some advisories are out for southern NH, MA, and VT for a coating of ice between 2-5am...No advisories for CT but the NWS does mention probable in their text discussion. Im thinking 84 north and Rt6 north to be cautious.. .

Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM

From TWC. NWCT now in the "Possible" range.
This is based on the 2 systems we're following. Still too soon to know.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut