Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:43 PM

319 posts, read 199,205 times

Advertisements

Check Lake Tansi.

Been around longer; the focus isn't exclusively golf and has lots of fishing. The rules are being tightened, but we find it to not be as stiff as FFG seems to be. In our community, there are several guys who constantly have tools and buzz saws going on one project or another.

As far as storing your RV, there are several places, with varying prices. We just pulled ours from the facility by the fairgrounds. It was $2/foot for storage, but we were moved twice, the second time being banished from a paved area where it was easy to maneuver to a rock-surface area that would be difficult to navigate anything larger than 24 feet. As more people move to the area, it seems the need for junk storage has increased. That's why we were shuffled around. The space was needed to build more lockers We moved to the storage facility at the corner of Dunbar and Lantana, which is rock-paved but cheaper. Also, closer to home. Still, even there we were told no predictions can be as to how long before construction of more lockers will occur.

One thing more - the closest place to have your RV serviced will be Rockwood, about ... eh, 20 miles from Crossville, right off I-40. There is a shade tree RV guy in town, but when we tried to get him to work on ours, he told us he's booked with jobs through all of 2022.

https://laketansi-poa.com/poa-acc-board/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 07:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaSue2 View Post
That was helpful, thank you!
Is an HOA a must for you. If you're not so big into the amenities of an HOA there are plenty of areas without restrictions and places to hike, etc.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is an HOA a must for you. If you're not so big into the amenities of an HOA there are plenty of areas without restrictions and places to hike, etc.
Hi! No, we would prefer to not have an HOA actually. I find that so many houses for sale in the areas of Crossville & Cookeville have HOA's though. We have never been part of an HOA, we have only heard horror stories, which is why I am hesitant of FFG.

My husband and I would be moving to Tn alone which is why I was originally interested in a community like FFG. Our kids and all of our family and friends would be 2,000 miles away and it would be a very hard transition for us so making friends would be important. I hear these retirement communities are the way to go in that respect.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Hi! No, we would prefer to not have an HOA actually. I find that so many houses for sale in the areas of Crossville & Cookeville have HOA's though. We have never been part of an HOA, we have only heard horror stories, which is why I am hesitant of FFG.

My husband and I would be moving to Tn alone which is why I was originally interested in a community like FFG. Our kids and all of our family and friends would be 2,000 miles away and it would be a very hard transition for us so making friends would be important. I hear these retirement communities are the way to go in that respect.
I'm with you on the HOAs.

There are various groups and such for meeting people. Church is a big thing here but there are community activities, classes, etc. you can get involved with to meet folks with similar interests. Perhaps buy a short term online subscription to the Crossville Chronicle to get an idea of community events and groups in the area and/or Facebook groups.
Here is one that might be helpful:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1236...a792584ba0100b

Old 04-07-2022, 03:22 PM

319 posts, read 199,205 times
Quote:
Welllll, if you've seen areas outside of the HOA dominant developments .....

We drove around Lake Tansi after buying in and found the older parts not much more than fish camps with some pretty tumble-down dwellings. Drive around the fringes of FFG and you'll find some very ill-kempt properties. Having learned our way around Crossville, there are what would would be sweet little cottages, if the owners were spurred to clean them up. We bought a dwelling that was once a rental and have been working the last three years to bring out its potential.

Retirees and people relocating from more prosperous states drive the gentrification of these towns. It's good in some respects that there will be an incentive to create higher wage jobs in health care. The better outlook for trade jobs has definitely boosted the enrollment at the Colleges of Applied Technology.

Communities now want to control what goes on in regard to development and upkeep. This is our first experience with an HOA. We were worried about things like the kind of trash cans to be set out and if garage doors could be left open - that kind of nightmare. Lake Tansi has not been bad in regard to the HOA. Mostly sensible rules with some caveats on the size of dwelling you have to build. I'm no fan of that. They have been working to improve the community, even if it takes strict measures - which, IMO, have been needed, considering some of the existing properties that have been allowed to decay.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:29 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,102 times
Quote:
Hey all!

My husband is retiring TOMORROW (I still can't quite wrap my brain around it) and we are looking to move to a more retirement friendly area. FFG has been recommended.

My husband hates golf, but we enjoy biking, hiking, fishing, kayaking, and travel. He also enjoys tinkering in the garage (he's very creative) and would be miserable if that were not possible. So I am curious about the HOA restrictions there. For example, do cars need to be garaged at all times? Could he use a skilsaw, drill, power tools etc., in the garage without causing an HOA meltdown? Is it possible to add on a small shop to our property and if so how many hoops would that be to jump through? Can I have a small raised garden bed for fresh veggies? can we have a fence for our dogs, can we HAVE dogs? If we have visitors where are they allowed to park?

We also have an RV. Where does one store said RV and how much does that cost each month? Can one bring their RV to the house to load and unload or does one have to do that at the storage facility?

I actually wrote a much longer post than this but for some odd reason only the first line posted, so I have pared this down a lot in the rewriting. Basically, we are concerned with the lifestyle there and if it would be too restrictive for us. I would love some thoughts on it from people who live or have lived at FFG. We have never been under the thumb of an HOA, we have only heard horror stories, so I am coming into this inexperienced and with a bias not my own.
Have you heard about Cumberland Cove? It is a large 6,000 acre community with about 2,000 more acres used for 4 parks. The parks are for the exclusive use of property owners and have hiking trails, streams, waterfalls, bluff overlooks, and caves. Cumberland Cove has a property owner's association (POA), but our restrictions are far less stringent than in Fairfield Glade. We have minor restrictions that help to protect property values. Cumberland Cove is fully wooded with all utilities available, including high speed broadband internet. We have had a building boom in the last couple of years and now have more than 600 homes in Cumberland Cove. You are allowed to park your personal vehicles in your driveway, but RV's must be kept out of sight or garaged while not in use. Workshops are fine. They can be attached or detached from your home. We have a committee (Environmental Control Committee or ECC) that must approve all building projects, but most everything is always approved as long as it is not something out of the ordinary. Gardens for growing vegetables are fine. We are currently putting up a greenhouse. You can have a fence put in for your dogs with ECC approval. Domestic pets like dogs and cats are fine, but you cannot let your dogs run wild. Visitors can park in your driveway. There is an RV storage facility just outside of Cumberland Cove. There are both homes and lots for sale in Cumberland Cove. We are located between Cookeville and Crossville, just off Interstate 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville