Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 05:42 AM

230 posts, read 189,387 times

Advertisements

We have accepted an offer on our northern Wisconsin home and if the deal closes on 9/16/19 my wife, black lab and I will be relocating to Fairfield Glade. We have made several trips their already and also checked out Lake Tansi and Tellico Village.

We are selling our existing home with all the furnishings included. So unless we buy a home that includes furnishings we will be starting fresh. Can someone share where they would recommend we look to buy new as well as used furniture to setup our new Tennessee homestead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 AM

320 posts, read 540,534 times
Welcome to the Plateau! There are SOME options directly in Crossville. A few local furniture companies are Mayberry's Interiors, Balou's Furniture Gallery, Crossville Wholesale Furtniture, and Tabor's. I would try them out in that order. There is also a Badcock Furniture store, which is a national chain, so it would have many options and maybe some higher end things. Big Lots also has a decent selection, though I've found the quality of their furniture to be on the lower end. If you are looking specifically for mattresses, there is a store called Beds-To-Go. If you want some antique/rustic pieces, there are several shops in the area, but I recommend Dogwood Exchange.

For more extensive shopping, try Knoxville (roughly an hour to the East) or possibly Cookeville, (roughly 30 minutes to the west). Many of the stores in these cities will deliver to the Crossville area. Of course, there is always online companies like wayfair that will deliver to your door.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:46 AM

Thank you so much for the information. We will definitely check all these out.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:10 PM

303 posts, read 294,709 times
If you go the Cookeville route, definitely check out DT McCalls first.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:15 AM

An update for everyone. We have now been residents of Fairfield Glade for almost a year. We absolutely love it here. I can't think of a better place to ride out this stupid virus. We are gofling, fishing on the many private lakes. If anyone has any FFG questions please ask away. I am monitoring this thread daily and will get back to you quickly.

Last edited by JMT; 08-24-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-29-2020, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,456 times
Fishingupnorth .. so glad you are so willing to help. Can you tell me besides Zurich Homes which I believe are AKA Fairfield Homes is there a quality but not $200 a Sq ft builder in the area? They are a little rich for my blood. We’re flying out on the 9th to look at some lots we have found. Want to put an offer in then.

Also one real estate agent said internet is sketchy? Can you advise?

Is it Direct Tv or is there cable?

What did you wish you had known about FFG that you have since learned good or bad?

Thank you

Old 08-30-2020, 05:27 AM

Zurich and Fairfield Homes are seperate builders but share crews. I have read good things about Jeff Woods and Ronnie Wyatt builders but I have no personal experience with them. Be advised that it takes a year to get a home built here. It's not like up north whet they work weekends and sketchy weather days.

Here is a link to a Facebook page that talks about building a home in FFG.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/112433...31152683715712 It might give you some ideas.

You are building in what is practically a rain forest. Make sure you have a lot of sun exposure or you will be dealing with moisture and mold issues.

There are only 2 choices for internet. Frontier or Xfinity/Comcast. Frontier is slow DSL service. Xfinity is fast but costs more. The new satellite based internet service will not be active for a few years and I think trees will affect their effectiveness. I would not buy our build in an area where I could not get Xfinity. Direct TV and Dish are available but trees are a factor and when it rains here you will lose signal.

Natural gas is also a consideration. I am not a fan of heat pumps. You either have to like them or you will need to put in a dual fuel unit which uses electric and propane. I have natural gas and would never switch.

I wish I would have known how many deer, rabbits and other critters there were here. The deer population is out of control and rabbits are everywhere. Forget about having any kind of garden or flowers outside. You either have to spray the plants constantly or they will be eaten down to the nubs.

I looked for a home here thinking I wanted a nice flat lot. Which is what I bought. In retrospect I have learned that having a slope to your lot allows you to have a higher crawl space which can almost act like basement. If we ever move this is something I would like to have.
I hope this helps. I do want to say that living here is like "heaven on earth" Everyday you feel like it's the first day of summer vacation. There is so much to do and people are so friendly. Like anywhere there are some negatives but the pluses far outweigh those.

Feel free to Direct Message me any time.

Last edited by JMT; 08-30-2020 at 05:45 AM..

Old 08-30-2020, 06:58 PM

26 posts, read 32,791 times
We actually put an offer on a FFG home and backed out of it. In the end, the lots were too small for our taste and the HOA fees were a little steep - $110 per month two years ago. Lots of activities for those interested though and their own police and medical services. Loved the golf courses and play them sometimes and Legends restaurant is top notch. They have a great Sunday brunch.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:28 AM

445 posts, read 1,682,772 times
Default A little over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
An update for everyone. We have now been residents of Fairfield Glade for almost a year. We absolutely love it here. I can't think of a better place to ride out this stupid virus. We are gofling, fishing on the many private lakes. If anyone has any FFG questions please ask away. I am monitoring this thread daily and will get back to you quickly.
We have been here for a little over a year too. It is heaven on esrth. Winters aren't so bad either.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:36 AM

404 posts, read 380,713 times
We are here a FG (Wyhdham timeshare) for a few days and I'll just say it is really remote - unless you are a golfer, there is nothing to do around here. Maybe it's due to COVID but we've been here a few days and really all we've found to do is walk around the resort. We will do some hiking later but will have to drive to those areas. It's very beautiful here - it's just really boring for us here at the resort (and the surrounding areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville