Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times

Advertisements

Update on Natural Gas.. Upper Cumberland Gas is no longer a issue... Middle Tennessee Natural Gas now is the supplier of " all " Cumberland County for residential and commercial usage..
Middle Tennessee Natural Gas HQ is in Smithville TN

Welcome to Middle Tennessee Natural Gas | Middle Tennessee Natural Gas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
We have been renting in FFG the month of August. Regardless of whether we have been at the dog park, the supermarket, or just walking the streets everyone has told us how much they love FFG. Everyone. Also, my neighbor had a break at the key that turns off the water to his house. In FFG you are not responsible for the lines outside the house. I had this same thing happen at home and was told my village was not responsible beyond the water main. This was a costly headache you will not be concerned with here. The people have a friendly Midwestern/Southern manner and if you are nice to them they will respond in kind. If the folks in FFG and the surrounding areas are nasty maybe it's you and not them. Also season football tickets at Tennessee Tech are $25 in Cookeville ($5/game) and the State parks and waterfalls are free and beautiful. Crossville, Cookeville, the Natchez Trace and the larger cities has had only friendly people. I almost expect to see Wally and the Beave. And the music is phenomenal.

Last edited by JMT; 12-17-2017 at 08:04 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 AM

17 posts, read 42,736 times
Default Lawn service in Fairfield Glade?

Can anyone help me on this? Would like a private message sent to me on good, reputable lawn service in the Glade. I am moving there from another state. I have called several companies and am not getting return calls.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:40 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,265 times
Beamoc

It isn't the locals. Tennessee locals in the Crossville/Cookeville area are very nice if you treat them like people. Problem is most of the FFG people look down on the locals and they know it. I doubt you will find one local who will have anything nice to say about a FFG resident. Even one real estate wrote in one post, "whenever and person walks in our office and announces they are from FFG all the agents head to the back of the office trying to get away."

As an ex-FFG resident, if given a house in FFG for free I would still not move back to FFG. However I would gladly live in Crossville or Cookeville and surrounding areas.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Beamoc

It isn't the locals. Tennessee locals in the Crossville/Cookeville area are very nice if you treat them like people. Problem is most of the FFG people look down on the locals and they know it. I doubt you will find one local who will have anything nice to say about a FFG resident. Even one real estate wrote in one post, "whenever and person walks in our office and announces they are from FFG all the agents head to the back of the office trying to get away."

As an ex-FFG resident, if given a house in FFG for free I would still not move back to FFG. However I would gladly live in Crossville or Cookeville and surrounding areas.
I will have to agree with you. I don't have any personal exp. With ffg residence that I know of but it's the general attitude of both locals and other transplants that don't reside in the glades. Its almost a running joke. I have had my share of hearing many transplants bad mouth all locals but I don't know where they reside. My only personal exp. Was a school fundraiser and most all the folks were very nice.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:24 AM

52 posts, read 96,074 times
I dont understand why so many say that Crossville doesnt have much when there is plenty of shopping and restaurants. There are family things to do in Crossville and on the out skirts. The people in Crossville seem to be laid back and friendly. I love the way the summers are pleasant and not real hot. Crossville is a nice clean place to live.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,933 times
My wife and I are going to visit at the end of the month. I am from the area but she has never been there. Hopefully she will fall in love with the area and will want a summer home in the area when we retire in 6 years. Keeping my fingers crossed LOL

Tennessee and especially that area is definitely a place where if you mind your own business you will have no problems. The moment you stair, poke or prod your way into someone's business you will have an immediate issue. People live and let live for the most part.

I remember in the late 60's and 70's how bad the drugs and moonshine was in the area. If you want to see what it was like (and still is) get the original Walking Tall movie and watch it. If FFG people are looking down on locals it is because they don't understand the code of the hills.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
We just returned from a visit to Crossville and loved it. Did not visit Fairfield Glade (I'll never live in a community with an HOA--not my style) or Cookeville.

Crossville is a sweet town..we ate twice at Fortes on the Square for lunch--and it's terrific. Grilled grouper lunch for $8.50--or salmon...wonderful Italian food, daily specials. Nice people. We stayed a few nights at Cumberland Mountain State Park-oh my!! How beautiful.

The restaurant there is wonderful. Not usually a fan of buffets, but theirs is different. Down home cooking like Granny would make if Granny was a good cook..amazing deserts..and dining overlooking the lake was lovely, we enjoyed the hikes, and the friendly park staff made our stay special.

The history of parts of Crossville with the Roosevelt Homesteading project is fascinating..visit the museum and learn about the history behind those cute stone houses...

I must say this is pretty country. Can't comment on the shopping as I'm not much of a shopper, but the local
IGA had bananas ten cents cheaper than those at home...

And Crossville's library is amazing..I wanted to live there!! The Cumberland Plateau is well-worth a visit we found.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
And Crossville's library is amazing..I wanted to live there!! The Cumberland Plateau is well-worth a visit we found.
My kids and I love the library too! ITs amazing and the children's librarian was excellent in helping my kids find books when they did not remember the author's names. Even recommended similar books to them.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 28,171 times
well, we just bought some acreage and will be building a home soon in the Crossville area. We visited here a bunch. we have friends here. But, ultimately we love the area. We are now looking at and interviewing builders.
We looked all over for property. We looked at Chattanooga, Sparta, Cookeville Nashville. But kept coming back to the Crossville area.
The one thing that me and the misses loved the most? SO MANY retired police, feds, military, Doctors, dentists, professionals, country folks who just saved a lot to retire etc! I am retired military and a retired business owner. I like, like minded folks. Locals who weren't retired from those occupations, and still trying to make a living all seemed like minded. RESPECT is earned, not demanded or beat into you. We experienced nothing but respect and CLEAN EATING UTENSILS (my number one pet peeve!) at every meal at every restaurant in every location! Cookeville is awesome, but just couldn't find that "feels right location". But that is our "feels right" location, not everyone elses. The only time I have seen a rude individual was at a grocery store, and I quickly and respectfully addressed the issue and the person left in a huff, but that was that individual, not everyone. (when someone holds a door open for you and lets you go first and doesn't say thank you, that is the type of person that raises the type of people who bring down our society, my opinion and no one will change it). Another peeve of mine is rudeness. Btw: I simply said, "one of the problems with todays society is the lack of a simple thank you for a generous deed. Have a great day sir". I believe that one leads by example, and silence to rudeness or crime is consent..!
BTW: our property 4 acres, is inside FFG. 4 acres in FG? YEP, a buddy and former military team member who retired here found it. Look carefully, there is larger property available! We love this community. We see a lot of respectful proud people here. The folks who dislike FFG so much... have you been there lately? It is changing. And changing for the better. I am moving here because they want to enforce certain rules here. I am losing over 200k on a house in another state (no I am not from that state, just lived there until we could retire) because the thugs are raping pillaging, looting, kicking in doors, and the inmates are running the asylum! Schools suck, and shutting down schools in our area, city officials won't enforce laws, rampant cronyism, and continue to help build horrible housing in areas that ultimately is destroying property values., polluted our lake, major power lines in our yard now, no fire station, no sewer, locally after annexing us 18 yrs ago. Crime in that state is rampant, taxes are hideous compared to Tennessee, so we moved here and can't wait to get our home built. Btw, we are currently living in an rv park in the Crossville area with our little rv until our home is built. We are here daily and love it. One last thing, we have cooked several whole pigs over the last months and everyone enjoys our pig pickin' party's. Our cooker is going to be used to start raising money for charities in our Crossville and FFG community Starting next year. We won't make a penny, but going to give back to our new community who welcomed us with open arms! So come on down or over or up, and enjoy life contributing to society. Who knows, the next smiling face you see, just might be your own in a mirror getting ready to go have fun for the day!

Last edited by gladsheismyex; 10-23-2015 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: misspelling words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville