Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 PM

286 posts, read 569,808 times

Advertisements

Brownout today on the south side. It gets warm really fast without fans moving the air.
Thankfully it was only 2 hours. Anyone else getting this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Brownout today on the south side. It gets warm really fast without fans moving the air.
Thankfully it was only 2 hours. Anyone else getting this?
Which neighborhood you in?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 AM

286 posts, read 569,808 times
Near Weber and Saratoga.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM

65 posts, read 292,437 times
I've noticed that on super hot days, my A/C doesn't cool my house completely. I have two condensers (upstairs and downstairs) and they're brand new from last summer, so they really ought to be working properly, but they seem underpowered. I left the thermostat at 83 when we were out of town recently, reset it to 77 when we got home and it took a full 24 hours for the temperature to come down in the house. I've wondered whether I have less electricity available to my house on the 98/99 degree days due to demand on the grid.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_evans View Post
I've noticed that on super hot days, my A/C doesn't cool my house completely. I have two condensers (upstairs and downstairs) and they're brand new from last summer, so they really ought to be working properly, but they seem underpowered. I left the thermostat at 83 when we were out of town recently, reset it to 77 when we got home and it took a full 24 hours for the temperature to come down in the house. I've wondered whether I have less electricity available to my house on the 98/99 degree days due to demand on the grid.
Unless the electricity goes off, you should have the same amount of it available regardless of the temperature. Brownouts rarely happen unless the power company messed up. Normally they will completely shut off portions of the grid to avoid brownouts.

Did you add insulation and seal all your ducts when you replaced the air conditioning? If you have a lot of duct leaks and poor insulation the new units won't help much. Many older homes have leaky ducts and insufficient insulation.

You should also install solar screens on your windows, they help a lot. This fall you should consider planting shade trees on the East West and South sides of your house. They cost relatively little and the shade when the mature will greatly reduce your AC costs.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM

220 posts, read 454,247 times
Quote:
I've noticed that on super hot days, my A/C doesn't cool my house completely.
You don't say? I think I've found your problem.

Quote:
I left the thermostat at 83 when we were out of town recently, reset it to 77 when we got home and it took a full 24 hours for the temperature to come down in the house.
Seems like a waste of electricity to me, I just turn of my air when nobody is home. I'd rather have the money to spend on stuff I want rather than to keep a house cool that no one is home to enjoy. Then again when I was growing up we only had crappy A/Cs so I'm used to warmer weather, 85 degree temperatures don't bother me so much as long as there is a fan or a good breeze going.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 AM

65 posts, read 292,437 times
@John, no need to be rude.

We leave it on while we're out of town because our research has indicated that it takes less energy overall to maintain a steady temperature than to let the house get up to 95 degrees and then have the aircon kill itself trying to suddenly get it back down to a liveable temperature.

@Cptn, thank you for the suggestions. Maybe it would be worth it to have an HVAC guy come inspect the ducts to make sure they're sealed well--the new units were installed before we moved in, as part of the purchase of the house. We do have large oaks shading the house, and solar screens, and I close the blinds wherever direct sunlight is entering the house, and keep the thermostat at 78 when we're home at 80 when we're not, and do everything else I can think of it to keep usage low, and we still have high AC bills. The cost of doing business in STX, I guess, but it's still a bummer....

Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
If you completely turn off the A/C, another thing to consider is that the refrigerator is having to keep its contents cool inside an un-air-conditioned house, meanwhile pumping out its own heat. Also, everything in your house that is supposed to be stored at a cool temperature isn't (prescription medicines, bread, etc.). It sounds like a bad idea to me.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:

We leave it on while we're out of town because our research has indicated that it takes less energy overall to maintain a steady temperature than to let the house get up to 95 degrees and then have the aircon kill itself trying to suddenly get it back down to a liveable temperature.

@Cptn, thank you for the suggestions. Maybe it would be worth it to have an HVAC guy come inspect the ducts to make sure they're sealed well--the new units were installed before we moved in, as part of the purchase of the house. We do have large oaks shading the house, and solar screens, and I close the blinds wherever direct sunlight is entering the house, and keep the thermostat at 78 when we're home at 80 when we're not, and do everything else I can think of it to keep usage low, and we still have high AC bills. The cost of doing business in STX, I guess, but it's still a bummer....
Don't overlook adding insulation, how much do you have in the attic? I increased mine to R-38 this summer and noticed a big improvement. Insulation is relatively cheap and pays for is self quickly, a good investment.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 PM

220 posts, read 454,247 times
Quote:

I find that highly unlikely except under certain conditions such as large square footage areas, extremely good insulation, and wanting to get temperatures down to lower levels. These conditions would be more typical for a refrigerated warehouse than the typical home I would think, but I'll admit I haven't done the research on your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi