Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercityhorn View Post
Walter Furley-channel 10 newsman. A voice to go with a face and talent ahead of his competition. I was a counselor with his children in a summer church camp and he was a truly nice guy and great parent.

Gene Looper-channel 6 I believe.

Ken Cessna-sports reporter. Before the days of ESPN and internet instant scores and widespread radio/TV coverage of all games, hosted a radio call in show on Saturday afternoon and evening where callers could inquire about scores for their team.

Paul Lott-I believe this was his name. Sports reporter for KIII tv and umpired games at Oso Little League in the 60's. Salty and funny in his style.

Sad to say, this is all I remember and they are from the 60's-70. Anybody else recall any local TV personalities?

I don't think of Corpus Christi as being a hotbed of news personalities, but am surprised at how long the current batch have remained here. Joe Gazin, Lee Sausley, Joe Trevino, have been here at least since the 80s. It's pretty remarkable to me that they would stay in corpus for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM

15 posts, read 128,699 times
I think I recall Gene Loper and Ken Cessna being there in the late 50's. Dont't recall Paul Lott..

Last edited by kf5wd; 03-12-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Good source of Corpus Christi history.
Corpus Christi - Google Books

Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 177,143 times
Default Feudo's food store

There were more options for grocery shopping back in the 50's-70's than just HEB. One in particular I recall:

Feudo's-three family owned and operated stores that specialized in knowing each of their loyal customers on a first name basis. Ronald and Joe Feudo were the hard working brothers behind this group of stores that eventually grew to three and they were genuinely concerned with giving their customers what they wanted. Their wives, Helen and Margrette worked alongside them and the people who worked with this store were like a big family. I can still remember the names of several of these employees because they knew my name as a small boy. But perhaps the most amazing thing about this family owned chain was that they understood the needs of their customers when times were not so good economically. They allowed my mother on numerous occasions to sign a ticket for groceries for our family when the oil business that my father was in was slow. She always paid her debt and was never looked down upon by anyone in the store. This lesson in kindness has stuck with me and I have tried to pay it forward for others less fortunate than I.

Corpus Christi is less fortunate today because these stores were sold in 1999. Glad I grew up in CC during the period I did.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM

There was a Fuedo's at Kostoryz Rd. and Manshiem when I lived at 4833 Rogerson St., just around the corner. That was around 1955.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercityhorn View Post
There were more options for grocery shopping back in the 50's-70's than just HEB. One in particular I recall:

Feudo's-three family owned and operated stores that specialized in knowing each of their loyal customers on a first name basis. Ronald and Joe Feudo were the hard working brothers behind this group of stores that eventually grew to three and they were genuinely concerned with giving their customers what they wanted. Their wives, Helen and Margrette worked alongside them and the people who worked with this store were like a big family. I can still remember the names of several of these employees because they knew my name as a small boy. But perhaps the most amazing thing about this family owned chain was that they understood the needs of their customers when times were not so good economically. They allowed my mother on numerous occasions to sign a ticket for groceries for our family when the oil business that my father was in was slow. She always paid her debt and was never looked down upon by anyone in the store. This lesson in kindness has stuck with me and I have tried to pay it forward for others less fortunate than I.

Corpus Christi is less fortunate today because these stores were sold in 1999. Glad I grew up in CC during the period I did.
what a wonderful story! I was also lucky to shop @ the feudo's store at gollihar & airline rd. I liked the fact that they had good sales and were easy to get in and get out, something that has been lost with the huge HEB mega-centers.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,476 times
Default Feudo's say Thank You

my name is John Feudo, Helen and Joe Feudo were my Great Grandparents. I know that if they were alive today they would thank you all for the wonderful comments and great memories from back in the day. It was their lifes work to create and maintain those stores. They lived by the motto, do unto others and, you will love each other. I feels really great that the people of Corpus Christi remember my grandparents and the things they accomplished with the stores.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudoj View Post
my name is John Feudo, Helen and Joe Feudo were my Great Grandparents. I know that if they were alive today they would thank you all for the wonderful comments and great memories from back in the day. It was their lifes work to create and maintain those stores. They lived by the motto, do unto others and, you will love each other. I feels really great that the people of Corpus Christi remember my grandparents and the things they accomplished with the stores.

Welcome to city-data/corpus christi

Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 13,967 times
I was searching for photographs of Shep's Chicken Shack and found this thread. We lived in Corpus from 1972 to 1976, and I have many memories of it. We went to elementary school at Sanders. I also remember Burger Chef, the Torch Restaurant (I still have rubber finger puppets they gave me there!) and swimming at the JCC pool, going to Port Aransas and crabbing on an unstable old pier, going to the art museum, celebrating my birthday at Shakey's- and many other memories. Is the building which housed Shep's on the corner near the intersection of Everhart and Parkdale? I think I saw the building on google maps - at least from what I can remember it looked like it. The more I read of this thread, the more I remember. Does anyone remember the torrential rains and flood we had? It must have been around 1975, it was the first time I remember seeing people in boats going down residential streets.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug32 View Post
I was searching for photographs of Shep's Chicken Shack and found this thread. We lived in Corpus from 1972 to 1976, and I have many memories of it. We went to elementary school at Sanders. I also remember Burger Chef, the Torch Restaurant (I still have rubber finger puppets they gave me there!) and swimming at the JCC pool, going to Port Aransas and crabbing on an unstable old pier, going to the art museum, celebrating my birthday at Shakey's- and many other memories. Is the building which housed Shep's on the corner near the intersection of Everhart and Parkdale? I think I saw the building on google maps - at least from what I can remember it looked like it. The more I read of this thread, the more I remember. Does anyone remember the torrential rains and flood we had? It must have been around 1975, it was the first time I remember seeing people in boats going down residential streets.
I was beginning to think that I was the only person on this thread. The Shakeys is long gone. There is now a new Mexican restaurant there. The Sheps that you're talking about was near the intersection of everhart & staples. I think that it was replaced by eligios sometime in the late 70s/early 80s. I'm not sure what it is now, but I'll look the next time that I go visit my parents. I remember that flood too, but don't know which year it was, but definitely 1976 or before. which area of corpus did you live in? I lived and grew up in cullen mall area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi