Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:40 AM

513 posts, read 801,450 times

Advertisements

Anybody else see this story?

In NJ a 28 year old mother and her 2 year old son went to Mcdonalds and she got him a kids meal. Before leaving she realized she never got a toy and asked the manager for one. Apparently the manager then scolded the employee (Latia Harris, 25) for incorrectly doing her job. The employee then ran outside and jumped the mother while her son was right next to her. A bunch of others stood around doing nothing but screaming "oh hhh!" And filming to on their phones. The two year old tries helping his mom by screaming at the other woman then kicking her to go away when his mom was on the ground and the woman was kicking her head.

This has to be the most heartbreaking thing. How is it nobody helped? A two year old has more guts and morality than anyone else there.

Salem Police seek woman in brutal beating
NJ woman beaten in front of her 2-year-old as bystanders record the attack | PIX 11
Caught on Video: Woman Beats Mother in Front of 2-Year-Old Son - The Root
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...ok-page-687432
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:59 AM

29,533 posts, read 22,797,163 times
The classic 'bystander effect.'

Yes, it's infuriating, and yes, I'm sure many of us like to think that we would have done something far more 'heroic,' like going in for a kung fu arse whupping Chuck Norris style.

But despite what we claim, we truly don't know how we will act in any given moment, for any given situation.

What if it were a situation where a guy 6 foot 6 and 300 pounds of pure muscle was doing similar to a woman? Or a pack of criminals? Probably not so brave then.

Sense of shock at what's happening, event not even registering until it's over, things of that sort.

Just saying, at least I'd admit that I never know how I would act for sure in different scenarios. If that makes me cowardly so be it.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:36 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,514,405 times
I agree, Suburban.
Man, that is crazy.
Hope that crazy B is behind bars for years.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,208,079 times
While I would have immediately called 911 I would not attempt to physically break up an attack. If I get hurt I have job loss time and medical expenses. If the attacker gets hurt I may get sued and possibly face police charges.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:46 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,514,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
While I would have immediately called 911 I would not attempt to physically break up an attack. If I get hurt I have job loss time and medical expenses. If the attacker gets hurt I may get sued and possibly face police charges.
Right?
Stan4, is it true you have martial arts training?
Yes, your honor.
Fork over a million bucks for assaulting this poor lady.
That being said, I was ready to jump out of my seat just from watching the video...I dunno that I could have just stood there.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,549,543 times
Typical day at McDonalds.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,342,002 times
This is insane. People prefer to record something on their phones just to have something to put on their FB page. Why not call for help? And how about the little kid? Noone tried to protect him from the scene, really?

Old 06-28-2014, 05:26 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,886,288 times
I wonder if Spike Lee will tweet the attacker's home address out?

LaTia acts like she's a few nuggets shy of a Happy Meal, even though it's pretty obvious she hasn't missed a meal in years -- hopefully this pig winds up in prison where she belongs.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,246,959 times
Insanity! The attacker said "you almost lost me, my job." Did they fire that nut? Did the victim call the
police? This employee has some explaining to do at the police station and the attorneys. Let's see
how tough she'll be then.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:10 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,549,543 times
You can hear her say something like '...you're gonna press charges, I bet' or something near the end, so at least she became aware of how badly she is going down. It made me angry to watch this, but I have no doubt she is about to regret the hell out of this incident. On top of whatever the law is giving her, she is the most hated person on the internet du jour. Also ridiculous that everybody just stood around filming and saying "OHHHHHH!!!" like it's a Jerry Springer episode, but that does provide a lot of solid evidence at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events