Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Someone turns up in DC with ebola symptoms.
Ebola outbreak: Patient hospitalized in D.C. with possible Ebola symptoms - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The average IQ in Liberia is 67. Think about it.
The IQ test doesn't accommodate third world countries. Their intelligence should be assessed differently to get an accurate measure. You can't use the same test to test first world countries and third world counties and have accurate results. Third world country populations have just as many people with high IQs as our countries. IQ represents potential, not actual knowledge. Come on, you should know that!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:29 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times
Quote:
So you think it would be dangerous for family members to drop off a box of items at a gathering point to be delivered to the door for their quarantined family? I'm trying to figure out just how you think food and other necessary items are actually going to get to the people who are quarantined. So far, the Red Cross is delivering food in boxes to the family. Just regular food - no need to decontaminate it or wrap it up in any way - they're just sitting it in boxes outside the door. What would be weird about a family or friend packing up a box and having it delivered to them the same way?
I don't see anything wrong with friends or family members dropping off food or supplies and leaving them in a safe area either.

and not for nothing, but I don't understand why people here are trying to start an argument over your responses.

It's silly and distracting.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
So you think it would be dangerous for family members to drop off a box of items at a gathering point to be delivered to the door for their quarantined family? I'm trying to figure out just how you think food and other necessary items are actually going to get to the people who are quarantined. So far, the Red Cross is delivering food in boxes to the family. Just regular food - no need to decontaminate it or wrap it up in any way - they're just sitting it in boxes outside the door. What would be weird about a family or friend packing up a box and having it delivered to them the same way?
Nothing, but that's not what you were advocating several posts ago. Listen if you decide to put forth alternatives to your original "why aren't they leaving baskets of food at the door like my relatives did when we had the flu because we're all so great and these guys aren't" scenario then one of them is statistically likely to make sense.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,144,484 times
A question about the 3 cops that went to the Ebola affected apartment and are now on medical leave. Did they go home to where family is before they were told they were at risk putting their family at risk to exposure to Ebola or were they immediately quarantined in isolation away from everyone? Were they in contact with any other cops before they were put on medical leave?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Nothing, but that's not what you were advocating several posts ago. Listen if you decide to put forth alternatives to your original "why aren't they leaving baskets of food at the door like my relatives did when we had the flu because we're all so great and these guys aren't" scenario then one of them is statistically likely to make sense.

Why COULDN'T they leave baskets (or boxes or whatever) near the apartment? You're making this way too literal and you're totally missing the point.

Surely you can grasp the general idea here - that family and friends can and probably SHOULD help this family out by gathering some necessary items - and heck, maybe just some things they know the family would appreciate, like favorite drinks or movies or snacks or personal care items - and getting those delivered to the family without having actual in person contact. It doesn't matter whether the items are in a box or a basket or left on the curb, at a gathering point, or in an office - whatever works best in the situation.

I think you fully understand what I'm saying and for some weird reason are focusing on non pertinent issues as if they are the stumbling block. "But you said BASKETS! But you said leave it on the doorstep, not at the apartment entrance!" What I SAID was that it's not unreasonable to expect family and friends to help these people out by providing some necessary items for them.

Is that unreasonable to you?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-03-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM

188 posts, read 358,281 times
Default Now a patient in Washington DC may have Ebola

Patient Being Evaluated for Possible Ebola at D.C.'s Howard University Hospital | NBC4 Washington

Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
OH great.
A man came from Nigeria is in isolation unit now in DC for possible Ebola. While I am following the news closely, this is getting more like media frenzy.

Patient Being Evaluated for Possible Ebola at D.C.'s Howard University Hospital | NBC4 Washington

Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
A question about the 3 cops that went to the Ebola affected apartment and are now on medical leave. Did they go home to where family is before they were told they were at risk putting their family at risk to exposure to Ebola or were they immediately quarantined in isolation away from everyone? Were they in contact with any other cops before they were put on medical leave?
They aren't cops. They are two EMTs and one paramedic. They did not know the patient had ebola. They were quarantined after the patient tested positive. The quarantine is at their own homes with their own families.

My BIL is a paramedic and he would go even if he knew ahead of time. That's what they do. They're in the job to save lives. They know that means putting their own lives on the line. Ebola wouldn't be any different to my BIL than all of the other risks he takes.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Ebolavirus - Pathogen Safety Data Sheets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events