Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is your hypothesis that: after being around dead ebola people in Liberia, including carrying one dead lady (at least) off the street then jumping on a plane to America...that he didn't suspect he had it?

You realize that being a body collector is a transmission vehicle, right? That's why they wear the special gear OVER THERE.

Which he OBVIOUSLY KNEW since dead bodies are all over the place and being picked up.

He went to a hospital and FORGOT to mention he was picking up dead people with ebola in Liberia.

I think saying this guy and all the others over there are "ignorant" is putting it kindly. And BECAUSE of the ignorance - intentional or otherwise - we need to worry about OUR OWN borders and entry.

Even in THIS article they say the Liberians are in "denial" publicly. As if that is gonna work. OK let me take that back - our politicians are the same way denying the obvious about a almost everything that's going on in America.

Liberia’s Ebola Victims Dying at Home Amid Shortage of Clinics - World - The Boston Globe
He might have hoped on the plane knowing and thought he'd survive it if he came here. Little did he know the hospital staff here would be so enbicilic and just send him back home. He should have done his homework, they kill a lot of people here this way, he should have flown to France or Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, I think you know what I was saying when I said "knowingly expose himself". Good grief, you're not that obtuse, are you? And no, he didn't knowingly expose others to ebola. He didn't know he had ebola. If he did, THEN I would say he knowingly exposed others to it.
He had to know he had the virus. He just left a household in Liberia where they were all infected and dropping fast.

His ignorance may have hoped that he was not infected.

But I'm with Katheryn that no way if I even 1% thought I might be infected would want to be around the ones I love or the public.
He's either very ignorant or extremely careless and not caring about others. I suspect he was well aware of his situation.

Much like an AID's carrier purposely having sex with others without disclosing before.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Are you saying that he may have told the staff that he was exposed to Ebola, and they just let him go home with a prescription? Seriously? I am 100% positive the word Ebola never crossed his lips. If it had, he would have been in isolation immediately. The nurse may have not realized the significance of Liberia or it's place on the map, but she has to know the word Ebola.
Oh please. A health care professional knows about Ebola but not cognizant of the primary source countries?

Here come the excuses.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's either that or severely restrict your contact with people. Whenever you see pictures of China you see people walking around wearing masks. Maybe the time is coming that you will see that here?

I would say it's a great time to become a monk and join a mountain top monastery!
I think it's a good idea to take Asian examples of hygiene and use them here, but, in most Asian countries they care about spreading disease and not just catching it. That mindset will be harder to teach in America I'm afraid.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He had to know he had the virus. He just left a household in Liberia where they were all infected and dropping fast.

His ignorance may have hoped that he was not infected.

But I'm with Katheryn that no way if I even 1% thought I might be infected would want to be around the ones I love or the public.
He's either very ignorant or extremely careless and not caring about others. I suspect he was well aware of his situation.

Much like an AID's carrier purposely having sex with others without disclosing before.
I think he knew too and others will flock here for treatment since people live through it if they are exposed. This will become a new problem.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Why did he lie? He didn't, he omitted a very important fact. He could have been scared, he could have thought he didn't have Ebola, he could have thought it wasn't important fact. That is what we will never know.
A lie by omission, especially on a matter of this magnitude, is a form of deception = a Lie.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Don't make excuses for him; anyone with an ounce of compassion for others and some common sense would have fully disclosed their exposure to the disease and not subjected others to possible infection.
I am not making any excuses for this man. Do not put words in my mouth!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A lie by omission, especially on a matter of this magnitude, is a form of deception = a Lie.
Yup. I worded that poorly answering to another post.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I think he knew too and others will flock here for treatment since people live through it if they are exposed. This will become a new problem.
It is now spread to other African countries. Those who have been exposed are going to think maybe the U.S. medical system will save them, so they won't admit any symptoms and will board planes to come here, then suddenly "notice" those symptoms.

If this guy's symptoms were initially mild, why would he go to a hospital?? Many people treat those kinds of symptoms on their own, thinking it a cold or some form of manageable flu.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
Any news on the possible ebola patient in Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events