Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times

Advertisements

Nice to know there is at least one Texan who is not an uneducated bigot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/us/containing-ebola-cdc-troops-west-africa.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&versio n=HpSum&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

It's unfortunate that Mr. Duncan became symptomatic while in Texas. I'm confident that he would not have been discharged, antibiotics in hand, had he sought treatment in the D.C. area.

Karma's a b***h.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 07:39 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What does obama have to do with ebola
Obama eased the quarantine regulations for entry into the United States. He also refused to deny entry to all people from the infected countries and/or people who had recently been in these countries.

Anyone who has a Liberian/Sierra Leonian/Nigerian passport, or who had their passport stamped in Liberia/Sierra Leone/Nigeria within the last year should be denied entry into the United States. Even US citizens should be denied entry if they have those stamps in their passports.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
I'm sure the unemployment situation improved in the Soviet Union under Stalin. Wouldn't it be great if Obama could, or would at least try, reduce the number of people no longer in the workforce? I don't think spreading death around the country is a good way to go about it, though.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,743 times
Nothing to see here folks....move along....let's fund raise!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The American Red Cross advises preparedness for any situation. Including a chemical spill in your neighborhood along with anything else like hurricane, tornado, flood, fire, whatever. What's wrong with keeping emergency equipment? You may never use it, so what. You have it just in case.
Nothing at all. It is a good idea, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. You must make sure you are preparing the right way, though.

Masks and respirators are typically rated based on the size particle they protect from. That's usually for airborne contaminants, though, and ebola is not. They also are ideally fit tested to your face to make sure nothing gets in around the edges. Having some training in this area, and having suited up in level A protection, I just had to ask exactly what a "virus proof mask" was since I'd never heard of one.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Nice to know there is at least one Texan who is not an uneducated bigot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/04/us/containing-ebola-cdc-troops-west-africa.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&versio n=HpSum&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

It's unfortunate that Mr. Duncan became symptomatic while in Texas. I'm confident that he would not have been discharged, antibiotics in hand, had he sought treatment in the D.C. area.

Karma's a b***h.
Right, because DC is so full of honorable, intelligent, superior people. This is manifested in it's crime rate and it's poverty and literacy rates as well.

The White House was breached twice in the past week or so. And you think the mentality in DC is actually more vigilant than elsewhere? I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you at a TERRIFIC price, if that's the case!

The hospital in Texas made a critical mistake. Hopefully, the rest of the nation will learn from this mistake. I'm sure many other cities and hospitals will get this opportunity before it's all said and done, and I personally wouldn't be touting any other area's "superiority" just yet.

It's unfortunate that Duncan lied in his exit paperwork and hid the fact that he'd been exposed to Ebola just days before he came here - he hid this very pertinent fact (which was illegal to hide, by the way) from not only airport officials, but from his own family, including his girlfriend and her children. He did not EVER tell hospital personnel about his close contact with Ebola patients - in fact, they only learned about this when his nephew and step daughter called as he was vomiting profusely, while the ambulance was en route to the apartment. That's right, he didn't even care at that point who he infected, and was STILL hiding the fact that he had been exposed to Ebola.

The best systems in the world can't protect us from someone who is determined to risk the safety and wellbeing of others by such deceptive measures.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-04-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I believe the report that the questionnaire didn't get to the doctor because of how the Electronic Health Record was set up. It wasn't designed to catch Ebola. It was designed to catch those at risk of TB, the flu, etc. The protocols changed, but the underlying IS application didn't - likely because no one remembered to put in the order to do so; people think the IT part happens by magic.

I have worked in IS for a hospital system. I can totally see how this happened.
Having worked many years at the other end (health insurance) I can also see the ER intake people making a big note on the chart to the effect that this guy has no health insurance, no social security number (being a non-citizen) and the question is who pays the hospital? In such cases, it's not uncommon or rather, not unknown, for such a patient to be given some sort of palliative treatment and discharged, post haste. Not saying that's what happened here, but it does have that smell.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
International travel doesn't work that way. You need a passport to travel from one country to another, and every time you travel through a country, they stamp your passport showing the dates that you were there. If you get off a plane from London, immigration doesn't just assume you've only ever been to England. They look at your passport, and if it says "Liberia - September 28th" (or whatever) you're not getting in.
Ever heard the term "undocumented immigrant"? We have a travel ban to Cuba and yet it's still possible to get there if you go through other countries like Mexico.
If you want to get some place bad enough (in order to survive) there is always a way. To me, it makes more sense to do our absolute best to remove the reason for them to leave Ebola-land to begin with.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Nothing at all. It is a good idea, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. You must make sure you are preparing the right way, though.

Masks and respirators are typically rated based on the size particle they protect from. That's usually for airborne contaminants, though, and ebola is not. They also are ideally fit tested to your face to make sure nothing gets in around the edges. Having some training in this area, and having suited up in level A protection, I just had to ask exactly what a "virus proof mask" was since I'd never heard of one.
Hopefully the link I provided to the exact mask was helpful.

I also hope I was clear enough, on several posts including the first one regarding the masks I purchased, that I was not purchasing these masks to protect myself against "airborne ebola" virus. Of course that's a ridiculous concept.

However, a good mask and goggles could help prevent body fluids from entering one's eyes, nose or mouth. Mainly though, I bought the masks and gloves as protection against airborne viruses in the case of a pandemic of such a nature - as I clearly stated, along with several links showing studies which have proven that using a mask and good handwashing techniques offer additional protection against airborne viruses.

It's not just Ebola we need to prepare to protect ourselves from. It's a good idea, in my opinion, to have items on hand which could be used to protect ourselves and our families from a variety of possible epidemics/pandemics. If we wait till we're in the thick of one, good luck getting the supplies we may need.

Masks and gloves and antibacterial soaps are easy to get our hands on right now, and they're cheap. I think every family should have some on hand in case of an emergency.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm blown away that the hazmat company hasn't cleaned the apartment because it lacks the proper hazmat permit to transport hazardous materials on the Texas highways. For goodness sake! Hire another company that does have the proper hazmat permits!
Because they hired on the cheap. Had they called in someone like Clean Harbors (a company who cleans up meth labs,murder sites etc. and transports/destroys hospital bio waste) they would not have had these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events