Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:42 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,699,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Why should someone lose their job over something like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Because people are a bunch of PC crybabies.
I can't imagine too many people would want their child being taught by someone whose answer to ANY situation is "Kill yourselves." I won't even touch the racist aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:30 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,085,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Do people think that what they say on social media won't get noticed and have ramifications? Apparently, they do. Amazing. I don't care how good a teacher she might be; I wouldn't want someone who processes the world like this around my kids, much less teaching them.
She could have used a false name but she'd have to be careful to make sure other people don't find out it's her (and not log into the said account from a school computer)

Old 11-12-2014, 02:19 AM

9,476 posts, read 10,829,151 times
Quote:

I agree with you. So this woman does not like white people, that is her right. As long as her racism does not appear on the job then I agree she should not lose her job. No one likes a racist, but like it or not people have the right to be as racist as they want as long as they don't act on it. The ability of employers to fire people for views expressed on private time is a dangerous limit of our freedom. After all most of us answer to an employer, and this means that potentially an employer could limit our free speech. We all need to earn a living so our free speech could be at their discretion. Lots of people will defend their right to do it as well, claiming its a companies right to control what the people who represent them say "off the clock" because it could potentially affect their business. I agree that if someone makes political or offensive comments on the companies time then its a different story, or if the companies name is involved in some political or racial rant then there may be grounds for a termination. However if it is on private time and the company is not involved then its none of your employers business about your politics or views on race. Free speech is far too important to hand it over to your boss.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 AM

40,963 posts, read 49,278,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Free speech is far too important to hand it over to your boss.
Would it be OK for your childs teacher was a member of the Klan and post on Facebook Klan rants about killing Blacks and White Superiority?

It's OK if anyone wants to do this but teachers have a little higher standard since they influence and teach children.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,996,175 times
"You acting crackerish", Now there is a mature adult smart woman capable of leading by example and teaching the children of today. This idiot is part of the problem and is a disgrace to black folks. One that has to resort to racial insults rather than keeping dialogue civil and intelligent is stupid and not a fit role model and leader for children. People pay a lot in school taxes and deserve the best teachers available. This person is certainly not the best and the brightest. After her cracker comment how could her white students possibly think they would be graded fairly. Those defending her and thinking she should keep her position, imagine the backlash had this been a white teacher using the N word. That you acting crackerish comment made me laugh out loud. What a moron, I hope she loses her job.

Last edited by todd00; 11-12-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,852,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
"You acting crackerish", Now there is a mature adult smart woman capable of leading by example and teaching the children of today. This idiot is part of the problem and is a disgrace to black folks. One that has to resort to racial insults rather than keeping dialogue civil and intelligent is stupid and not a fit role model and leader for children. People pay a lot in school taxes and deserve the best teachers available. This person is certainly not the best and the brightest. After her cracker comment how could her white students possibly think they would be graded fairly. Those defending her and thinking she should keep her position, imagine the backlash had this been a white teacher using the N word. That you acting crackerish comment made me laugh out loud. What a moron, I hope she loses her job.
I agree.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:34 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,807,765 times
Let's take up a collection to deport her and resettle her in the idyllic African Motherland, wherever that is.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would it be OK for your childs teacher was a member of the Klan and post on Facebook Klan rants about killing Blacks and White Superiority?

It's OK if anyone wants to do this but teachers have a little higher standard since they influence and teach children.
Crap like this is why I never post on any message board (or Twitter) using my real name. I also never share where I work, not even on Facebook.

I do have Facebook under my real name, but I also have my "stirring the pot" profile that is completely fake.

So far nothing I've said on a message board or on social media has come back to haunt me at work. My Facebook page is locked down as tight as it can be, but I still do not discuss work colleagues by name there nor do I send or accept friend requests from current co-workers. I don't even "like" my current employer.

I'm sure admins here could quickly figure out my employer or perhaps even my identity using my IP address, but I'm trusting them to keep that to themselves. That's why this is the only message board I post on from work.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:28 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,144,427 times
Quote:
Because that's how the world works these days. People need to have a giant cup of S.T.F.U. before blathering their every thought on social media.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:58 AM

140 posts, read 192,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

I don't think this teacher is in a hate organization... If a white teacher said "I hate ******s" on Facebook I don't think they should lose their job. I think it's a teachers job to teach material to kids, not be a role model. You shouldn't have your freedom of speech restricted just because you chose to be a teacher..

And she's a HIGH SCHOOL teacher, not a 1st grade teacher. I think by high school most people know how to have their own opinions. I've had teachers that don't even bother hiding their bias in the classroom. One of my teachers said Republicans are racist, another said abortion is murder and should be illegal.

Last edited by GuyontheInternet; 11-12-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events