Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why should a company be required to keep someone that creates a hostile work environent?
How is an employee creating a hostile work environment by engaging in particular activities OUTSIDE the workplace? Whatever happened to the understanding of keeping one's personal and professional lives separate--and no, "social media" is not an answer to that, because even prior to social media, we still knew what our co-workers engaged in during off-hours because of typical "water cooler" talk or from them possibly even showing us photos and the like, but even then, even if we didn't it, our response collectively was "as long as you keep that sort of thing out of the workplace, knock yourself out."

Heck, remember all the crazy antics 1990s NBA player Dennis Rodman engaged in off-court, many times with much media attention, yet his Chicago Bulls coach, Phil Jackson, basically had the response of "he's the consummate professional on-court, that is what matters." Exactly.

Now, just because we can look this sort up as "interactive contact" or the like and see it 24/7, supposedly now work and personal overlap and you have to act accordingly. I say no. As "daniel" said (I forget his username), that's tantamount to saying that you are under your employer's directives 24/7 during YOUR time, and that's just not the sort of society we've had nor that I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
How is an employee creating a hostile work environment by engaging in particular activities OUTSIDE the workplace?
By telling people of a specific race/gender/ sexual orientation to go kill themselves because you don't agree with their opinion.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Teacher's are held to a different standard than Dennis Rodman. And thank god for that! Let's not act like Dennis was a saint either. He has been in plenty of trouble. He is far from Mother Teresa and he was FIRED many times during his career because of his behaviors and attitude. He was under investigation by the government for his North Korea trips. So yes I can see why you'd compare anyone to Rodman.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Dude I am not sure what you are asking for, the below labor laws are already on the books and it covers just about any workplace discrimination you can think of. These are just federal laws, lets not even get started with state laws:

•EEOC (responsible for enforcing federal laws that make it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.) There is also a whistleblower clause.
•The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (CSRA)
•The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA)
•Executive Order 11246
•Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
•Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA )
•Title III of the ADA
•The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
•The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSHA)
•Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act
•Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
•Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act
•The Social Security Act
•The Fair Labor Standards Act
•National Labor Relations Act
•Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1866
•Workers Compensation Law
•Title I of Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

Now do you want another law like below?
•National Act to Protect Employees Who Write Stupid Stuff on Internet
I do not want any federal action at all, this is not the federal governments business. I want a state law protecting the rights of workers to express their beliefs outside of work. Do I want a law to "protect employees who write stupid stuff on the internet" YES I DO. One persons stupid is another's common sense. As the nation moves to the left it has become unacceptable to hold once common conservative views on social issues. Yet millions of us still hold those views in spite of this change brought on this nation by the millennial generation. While the teacher who this thread is about is obviously not the greatest person, and her views are disgusting, I absolutely stand by her right to say them. Now if she was REALLY threatening someone or plotting violence that is a different story, but a racist rant is absolutely her right. Using her employment to silence her is a means of muzzling free speech itself. Very few on this thread seem to get my point, really they do not want to. Most people who will be silenced in the end will end up being conservative people who are religious, against abortion, against the gay agenda. The reason they are ok with employment being held over the heads of those who speak out in public is because the vast majority of those who become victims of this kind of thing will be right wing conservatives. In the end it serves the liberal agenda, and that is the real story. Free speech is not valued anymore, in fact much of the bill of rights has been ignored or cheapened.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:28 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do not want any federal action at all, this is not the federal governments business. I want a state law protecting the rights of workers to express their beliefs outside of work. Do I want a law to "protect employees who write stupid stuff on the internet" YES I DO. One persons stupid is another's common sense. As the nation moves to the left it has become unacceptable to hold once common conservative views on social issues. Yet millions of us still hold those views in spite of this change brought on this nation by the millennial generation. While the teacher who this thread is about is obviously not the greatest person, and her views are disgusting, I absolutely stand by her right to say them. Now if she was REALLY threatening someone or plotting violence that is a different story, but a racist rant is absolutely her right. Using her employment to silence her is a means of muzzling free speech itself. Very few on this thread seem to get my point, really they do not want to. Most people who will be silenced in the end will end up being conservative people who are religious, against abortion, against the gay agenda. The reason they are ok with employment being held over the heads of those who speak out in public is because the vast majority of those who become victims of this kind of thing will be right wing conservatives. In the end it serves the liberal agenda, and that is the real story. Free speech is not valued anymore, in fact much of the bill of rights has been ignored or cheapened.
Please explain how this teacher's racist rant is "common sense".

Most white Americans, and I would hope most Black Americans as well, would regard this teacher's actions as vile and unacceptable.

Such a person is clearly lacking in intelligence and moral fiber and should not be teaching children.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:55 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
a lot of people don't understand the bills of right, free speech means the federal government cant throw you in jail, it doesn't mean somebody else can't beat the hell out of you, it doesn't mean you can't get fire . what it means is, its telling the government you can't touch him, but you are free game to everybody else, including school boards. which are not government

Old 11-15-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Please explain how this teacher's racist rant is "common sense".

Most white Americans, and I would hope most Black Americans as well, would regard this teacher's actions as vile and unacceptable.

Such a person is clearly lacking in intelligence and moral fiber and should not be teaching children.

In previous posts I stated that I feel no sympathy for the woman, nor do I support anything she said. She looks to be a moron to me. However many people believe those views they oppose are "stupid", and people who hold them to be beneath them. Others may consider those views to be common sense. That is always the case with opposing political views. You job should never depend on the prevailing political winds of the day, or the leanings of your boss. My gosh cannot people see who dangerous it is for our freedom to fire someone for their political belief?????

Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
a lot of people don't understand the bills of right, free speech means the federal government cant throw you in jail, it doesn't mean somebody else can't beat the hell out of you, it doesn't mean you can't get fire . what it means is, its telling the government you can't touch him, but you are free game to everybody else, including school boards. which are not government

I understand the bill of rights perfectly, and I am not disputing what you say. Your right the bill of rights only protects you from government action against you for the things you say. I am calling for state laws to bolster free speech, laws that protect you from being fired for "off the clock" political activity. There have been several cases of people being fired for political activity in recent years that have made the news. Usually it is a conservative being fired for their views and activities relating to their support for conservative social causes. Things like pro-life activity, anti gay marriage activity, anti-immigration activity etc. You get the point, they are getting fired for not being politically correct. We all have seen the very public action against Paula Deen and Phil Robertson, these types of things also happen to regular people. The left has learned it can really use its power over corporate America to silence conservatives. THis is a real danger to free political speech. Big brother now has a powerful ally in corporate America, where liberal groups have blackmailed corporations into accepting the PC agenda in the face of lawsuits and boycotts. This is why there is a great need for this type of protection.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
I understand the bill of rights perfectly, and I am not disputing what you say. Your right the bill of rights only protects you from government action against you for the things you say. I am calling for state laws to bolster free speech, laws that protect you from being fired for "off the clock" political activity. There have been several cases of people being fired for political activity in recent years that have made the news. Usually it is a conservative being fired for their views and activities relating to their support for conservative social causes. Things like pro-life activity, anti gay marriage activity, anti-immigration activity etc. You get the point, they are getting fired for not being politically correct. We all have seen the very public action against Paula Deen and Phil Robertson, these types of things also happen to regular people. The left has learned it can really use its power over corporate America to silence conservatives. THis is a real danger to free political speech. Big brother now has a powerful ally in corporate America, where liberal groups have blackmailed corporations into accepting the PC agenda in the face of lawsuits and boycotts. This is why there is a great need for this type of protection.
You're dreaming and living on Fantasy Island if you really think this will ever happen! Money talks and the people have none.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
In previous posts I stated that I feel no sympathy for the woman, nor do I support anything she said. She looks to be a moron to me. However many people believe those views they oppose are "stupid", and people who hold them to be beneath them. Others may consider those views to be common sense. That is always the case with opposing political views. You job should never depend on the prevailing political winds of the day, or the leanings of your boss. My gosh cannot people see who dangerous it is for our freedom to fire someone for their political belief?????
Thinking a race of people should all go kill themselves is now a political belief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events