Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,846,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In previous posts I stated that I feel no sympathy for the woman, nor do I support anything she said. She looks to be a moron to me. However many people believe those views they oppose are "stupid", and people who hold them to be beneath them. Others may consider those views to be common sense. That is always the case with opposing political views. You job should never depend on the prevailing political winds of the day, or the leanings of your boss. My gosh cannot people see who dangerous it is for our freedom to fire someone for their political belief?????
Well, I guess technically it is a political belief to advocate that a certain demographic group kill themselves.

The employer has a duty to maintain a non-hostile atmosphere for its employees; having someone who advocates that some of those employees should kill themselves because the color of their skin creates a hostile work environment, thus the employee causing this hostile work environment should be terminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,324,625 times
danielj72 is right. That there are still people like him is very refreshing.

Yes, this sort of thing is tantamount to, as he said, "using someone's employment status to silence them." That's just plain dirty, and people who do that sort of thing--and advocate it, also--are pond scum, as far as I'm concerned. No person with any sense of justice whatsoever should be okay with the idea of it being totally just fine for someone to fire someone whom they now dislike because of what their behavior is ON THEIR OWN TIME.

Diversity in the workplace is a beautiful thing, you are bringing together people from all sorts of different backgrounds and they are united for the purposes of getting the particular jobs done. The idea is that you will have Italians, Jews, Japanese, Muslims, Islams, Jehoviah's Witnesses, African-Americans, Chicanos, etc--all of them putting aside their differences and uniting at work for the purpose of getting the particular jobs done. The idea is that they are to put aside their differences AT WORK, but once the work is done, they go home and go to their own personal lives and resume being who they are. They get to "switch off" whatever behavioral modifications they have to assume for the purposes of work. They're not expected to continue "assimilating" on THEIR TIME the way they have to at work.

So long as, AT WORK, everyone puts aside their differences and unites for the common cause, that is what matters. PERIOD. That they become something altogether different once the day is done--it's none of your business, because they're not "on the clock" anymore, if anything you EXPECT that they will resume being "the real them" as it were once the workday is done. At work, maybe one employee named Jane likes to go to areas where nude hiking is legal and let it all hang out during her free time, while Joseph is a firm religious guy who would never appear shirtless even at the pool. At work, IT DOESN'T MATTER, and Joseph has no business CHOOSING to be "offended" at what Jane is doing on HER TIME, nor does Jane have any business judging Joseph to be a "square," and the same goes for the company's clients. As long as Jane does what she is supposed to do at work, and Joseph does what he is supposed to do, and they leave their differences of opinion at home and treat each other with respect, then what they are doing off the clock, EVEN IF IT'S KNOWN and EVEN if photos are posted, is absolutely no one's business to judge in terms of their fitness as an employee. Period.

So yes, if it takes the enactment of laws to MAKE employers stay out of their employee's off-hours activities, so be it. Preach on, "danielj72."

Old 11-15-2014, 11:28 PM

9,475 posts, read 10,823,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thinking a race of people should all go kill themselves is now a political belief?

Making foolish statements, making racist statements, making plain stupid comments are all free speech. Free speech means tolerating the presence of people like the one who made those racist tweets. As long as that racism did not end up affecting her job performance then it is not her employers business. I know my view is not popular here, but im gonna stand by it. Free speech is more important than what is popular.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:31 PM

Only in lala land does someone really think people put aside their differences at work. Fact is, they do not, and even if they did, it would always be under suspicion.

You are expecting people to kindly work with the lady in this story, after she just stated a race of people should go kill themselves, yea right, like that is going to happen. Every action she makes is going be be questioned whether it is racially motivated or not. Her co-workers are not going to be comfortable working with such a dolt, and this will impact performance.

She is a teacher, parents may wish not to have their kids in her class; any grade or criticism she gives to a white student will always be questioned whether racism was involved; if she is ever in a supervisor position, performance evaluations of white subordinates will always come into question.

While I am the first for advocating employers should stay the heck out of the private lives of employees, the actions of this lady far crosses the line because it does have a real impact on the workplace performance, and all of her actions will always be questioned whether it was race based or not.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Making foolish statements, making racist statements, making plain stupid comments are all free speech. Free speech means tolerating the presence of people like the one who made those racist tweets. As long as that racism did not end up affecting her job performance then it is not her employers business. I know my view is not popular here, but im gonna stand by it. Free speech is more important than what is popular.
But what you are failing to understand that it does impact performance at work; or do you think everyone is just going to brush aside her comments? You think white parents would like their kid in her class? You think white coworkers want to work with her? You think any white person wants to work for her in the future? (not just white, but any rational person of any race)

Old 11-16-2014, 01:41 AM

9,475 posts, read 10,823,063 times
First I bet she is young, so she is going to do stupid things. Most people say and do things in youth that they would like to take back. The young generation however has the technology to put it on the internet, that is the difference between them and those of us over 35. When we were young we said it and everyone forgot it. Now its out there forever. It is possible this could follow her for many years, and is that right??? It was a stupid internet comment, not really said to anyones face. I bet she would never do that, as most people who say stupid things on the internet don't act that way in the real world. Now if she really is acting out racist beliefs at work then that is a whole different matter. If she is running her mouth at work that is another matter. If she uses her employers name in her off the clock rant that also is another matter. This was meant to be an anonomous internet rant, not something that would be national news. Would I want my kid in her class??? Not really, but I should never should have found out about this should I?? Again it should have remained a stupid internet rant. Oh and for the record I am white and conservative and what she said I found to be ignorant and insulting. But I whole heartedly support her right to be a racist, her right to spew her rants on the internet without consequence to her job. Free speech means tolerating people who say all kinds of crazy things. Something else I believe is that she will grow up and be a normal person, without the racial chip one day. We have become too sensitive of a society, we need thicker skin and learn to not be so easily offended. PC is ruining this country.

Last edited by danielj72; 11-16-2014 at 01:50 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 03:19 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,056,964 times
Nothing worse than those stubborn folks who possess little understanding of complex issues while also believing themselves to be brave freedom fighters.

All two of you in this thread, keep up the good fight! I'm sure it will go your way someday.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:17 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times
Quote:
In previous posts I stated that I feel no sympathy for the woman, nor do I support anything she said. She looks to be a moron to me. However many people believe those views they oppose are "stupid", and people who hold them to be beneath them. Others may consider those views to be common sense. That is always the case with opposing political views. You job should never depend on the prevailing political winds of the day, or the leanings of your boss. My gosh cannot people see who dangerous it is for our freedom to fire someone for their political belief?????
Would you want your kids being taught by someone like this? I wouldn't, and I would hope the vast majority of Americans wouldn't either, whatever their race/ethnicity may be.

I think it was right and proper for this person to be fired. Actually, it's moot because she resigned, probably after being offered the choice of quit-or-be-fired.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:34 AM

671 posts, read 891,819 times
If she never brought it into the classroom,,no problem. If every persons thoughts were made public and that was a legal ground for firing the unemployment line would go on into infinity......She expressed her take of things outside of the school....So what? Pure bully tactics on the part of the school.....

Old 11-16-2014, 09:40 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,951,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
If she never brought it into the classroom,,no problem. If every persons thoughts were made public and that was a legal ground for firing the unemployment line would go on into infinity......She expressed her take of things outside of the school....So what? Pure bully tactics on the part of the school.....
Well to an extent I agree with you. But she crossed the line somewhere and her posting went viral, which forced the issue. The school board has to do something once it's reached that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events