Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,056,765 times

Advertisements

People agree with me because they understand the definition of free speech (and adherence to and preservation of constitutional rights is actually pretty popular with conservatives, too). Most of your diatribe is irrelevant to the subject at hand. Employers have the right to fire people who cost them money or damage their reputation. If your private life becomes a public problem it's on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I asked about in back in post 11, and I'll ask about it again---

Why are so many of you focusing only on the racial aspect of the teacher's comments?

Does it not HORRIFY you that a teacher would tweet that those with whom she disagrees should "Kill yourselves"? You truly think a school should keep a teacher on staff, when THAT is the solution she offers to a complex issue?

She not only should be fired, but be required to get serious counseling before ever being allowed to teach again. She is a disgrace of a human being.
I mentioned it in my very first post. I don't think "kill yourself" should be the go-to in your conflict resolution approach.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
People agree with me because they understand the definition of free speech (and adherence to and preservation of constitutional rights is actually pretty popular with conservatives, too). Most of your diatribe is irrelevant to the subject at hand. Employers have the right to fire people who cost them money or damage their reputation. If your private life becomes a public problem it's on you.
I wish I could give multiple reps to your last sentence. It applies here, the NFL scandals, and in so many other situations.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:01 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,821,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post

You don't seem to get it. I am not disputing that current law allows them to do this. I am saying that we need to add protections to the law in order to protect free speech from people such as yourself. I have no desire to have my speech controlled by liberal activist groups who have made inroads into major employers. The argument about employees costing the boss money does not hold water. Here is an example for you, how about customers who wont dine in places with an openly gay waiter. There are MANY people who wont let an obvious homosexual touch their food, so that gay waiter is running off customers and costing the employer money. This is especially true if the restaurant is in a conservative religious area, it could potentially really hurt a business if the locals just wont deal with it. I bet you don't support that employers rights do you?? I know your going to say its a civil rights issue, save your breath, but the concept is the same.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I find it disturbing that so many people agree with you. I also disagree with you that you don't have to hide your views, especially if you have a good job. Take the issue of homosexuality. That has become the liberal darling issue, those who oppose homosexual marriage are considered to be no different than Jim Crow era racists. If you come out opposed to the gay agenda then you will be treated as some backward thinking ignorant bigot. Translate that to the corporate environment today, which has been heavily influenced by liberal interest groups. If they find out at work that you speak out against gays and their lifestyle you will be looking for a job. Most of the folks that think its ok to fire an employee for political belief are likely liberal. Liberals have spent a lot of effort boycotting and suing corporations in order to force their agenda on them, as a settlement corporations often add things like diversity programs and pro homosexual policies to their company. This has created a corporate culture supporting the liberal agenda. Most people if they look at those things posted on the wall at work will see references to the companies diversity program or other liberal darling issues. That is not there by accident. Even the idea of a law protecting employees from being fired for their political beliefs expressed outside of work threatens years of work by liberals. They have put a lot into getting this influence in corporate America, and they will not let it be chipped away like that easily. The liberal agenda has never been successful in a legitimate way (legislative process), so it has been forced through courts, and other means like protests and boycotts. This is another tactic they are really just beginning to use in order to further their agenda. Silence the conservative traditionalist opposition by using their influence in corporate America to threaten their jobs. Conservative people tend to be employed, and that really is the best way to get at them. Make it difficult for them to be active conservatives AND keep a job at the corporations they have made inroads into. Free speech is most definitely in danger, and in the end so is freedom itself.
Are you unable to talk about issues in a mature adult manner? Do YOU go on social media and start cursing about f**s this and f**s that, and they should all just kill themselves?

There are plenty of people who keep their jobs even if they oppose the ideas held by the majority. How? They don't go on racist/homophobic rants on social media and they're able to communicate their ideas in a rational way.

There is a way to talk about issues that you oppose, but being a crazy psycho about it is not the way.

The teacher could have just as easily tweeted "I don't care if people don't agree with my opinions, they are still my opinions #Ferguson" Instead she has to say "Who the **** made you dumb duck *** crackers think I give a squat **** about your opinions about my opinions RE: #Ferguson? Kill Yourselves."

Are those really the words you want your kids to hear from their teacher... their high school ENGLISH teacher? Not only is she being racist towards her white students, but the solution to people who don't agree with her is for them to kill themselves?

I teach 7th graders, they bring up current event issues all the time. What might her reaction be if a student brought up something from the news that she doesn't agree with? Is she going to tell that kid "Shut up cracker?" or "Go kill yourself" for having a different opinion then her?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,041,065 times
Quote:
The argument about employees costing the boss money does not hold water. Here is an example for you, how about customers who wont dine in places with an openly gay waiter. There are MANY people who wont let an obvious homosexual touch their food, so that gay waiter is running off customers and costing the employer money. This is especially true if the restaurant is in a conservative religious area, it could potentially really hurt a business if the locals just wont deal with it. I bet you don't support that employers rights do you?? I know your going to say its a civil rights issue, save your breath, but the concept is the same.
Obvious homosexual? Are they waving around gay pride flags as they prance through the dinning room singing Cindy Lauper songs?

Can't say I've ever wondered about the sexual orientation of my waiter when going out to eat.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:14 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
Quote:
You don't seem to get it. I am not disputing that current law allows them to do this. I am saying that we need to add protections to the law in order to protect free speech from people such as yourself. I have no desire to have my speech controlled by liberal activist groups who have made inroads into major employers. The argument about employees costing the boss money does not hold water. Here is an example for you, how about customers who wont dine in places with an openly gay waiter. There are MANY people who wont let an obvious homosexual touch their food, so that gay waiter is running off customers and costing the employer money. This is especially true if the restaurant is in a conservative religious area, it could potentially really hurt a business if the locals just wont deal with it. I bet you don't support that employers rights do you?? I know your going to say its a civil rights issue, save your breath, but the concept is the same.
I know you were not addressing me, but I'd like to jump in. In your scenario, the openly gay waiter causes a loss for the business because of his flamboyant behavior. He does not have to act like that. I know plenty of gay folks that you would never guess were gay.

Being a hateful douchebag on social media, which is by it's very nature a public forum, is not a smart idea. It has real world repercussions.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:40 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,821,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I know you were not addressing me, but I'd like to jump in. In your scenario, the openly gay waiter causes a loss for the business because of his flamboyant behavior. He does not have to act like that. I know plenty of gay folks that you would never guess were gay.

Being a hateful douchebag on social media, which is by it's very nature a public forum, is not a smart idea. It has real world repercussions.

Most gay people do not act that way, your right. A few do however and we have all seen the kind of waiter I am talking about. It is just my example of an employee costing a business owner money because of his lifestyle, or viewpoints and the employer NOT being able to do anything about it. How is it different than off the clock political rants bringing negative attention to employers??

Oh and I agree the teacher is a deplorable person for the things she said, I am not defending her, but free speech.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It really seems like you want a specific law protecting you from gay people.

A restaurant owner can fire a gay waiter...if he goes on Facebook and starts badmouthing the place. He can't be fired just for being gay. Just like the teacher couldn't be fired just for being black. However, when your behavior, words or actions have a negative public impact, you may lose your job. There will never be free speech without limits or repercussions, and it has nothing to do with liberals. Please adjust your tinfoil.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,453,550 times
A little background on the school district. Duncanville ISD has degenerated from a quality district to a marginal district and good teachers have left, turning it into a version of an inner city school district.

Tis is the type of teacher that the district has been hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events