Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times

Advertisements

Terrible but I will not insult a dead person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
A young girl was struck and killed while walking across the light rail tracks in my town. Sadly, she was wearing headphones and probably didn't hear it coming. It is tragic. Not sure why she didn't pay attention and look before she crossed though.

So family and friends held an unofficial gathering at the light rail tracks in the evening to remember her. It was reported they were all standing on the tracks. .... Did they want to join her??? WTH??? What is wrong with people??
I've seen people cross streets this way. Headphones on and they don't bother to look out for traffic. I imagine they think of themselves as some kind of superhero "more powerful than a locomotive". No pun intended.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 9,818 times
I live by railroad tracks, and if I had a nickel for every time I saw someone stop their car on the railroad tracks... Traffic gets backed up near the lights and people just don't leave the space to not be resting on the tracks while the light is red. I've seen people have the gates start to come down on them and then they have to quick pull up on the sidewalk to get out of the way of the train. Humanity's never short on stupidity.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 9,818 times
Quote:
It's so easy to judge this girl and every other "dummy" out there. Now think back to a few of the not so bright things we all have done during the course of life, especially when an invincible teen or college kid. Ya never took any chances when you were a kid or acted without thinking things through well?
Don't even get me started on the stupid, klutzy stuff I do. However, being unsafe around train tracks was never one of them, and I had train tracks running along my grandparents' backyard. There's just no excuse for it. There's stupid, and there's too stupid to live.

I find it impossible to have sympathy for people who die out of negative life choices: those who get so drunk they drown in rivers (one of our state colleges is famous for this), people who get themselves addicted to heroin and don't go into one of the many detox clinics set up for the low income folks, people who drive so recklessly they plow into trees (again, probably drunk), people who strap rockets to their car to make it go faster and then die in a fireball, that guy on the internet who purposely plowed his rascal scooter through closed elevator doors and fell down an elevator shaft (though I don't know if he died- should have), etc. etc. etc. The Darwin Awards was set up for cynical "jerks" like myself who just laugh and laugh at this stuff. If you want a hoot, find the movie of the same name.

Last edited by Astralwolf37; 11-15-2014 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,420,843 times
The only train tracks I remember walking on were no longer in use.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But she certainly should have felt it coming. Even a light-rail train would make the ground shake.
Right? It's not like she was strolling through the Serengeti and was unwittingly pounced by a Cheetah.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yeah, but there's day altering stupid and life altering stupid
A lot of times the difference is luck.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
What is wrong with people??
So many have convinced themselves that gadgetry is a suitable substitute for living.

I'm just a few blocks from a large college campus. The number of students walking around w/o their noses buried in their cell phones or their ears plugged with buds is just a small fraction.

A tiny bit of zen needs to be injected into Americans' awareness. Things like:

Be here now.

Stop, look, & listen.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:35 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I always stand well back of a train or subway track. I'm always worried that some lunatic will shove people.
Quoting myself because of this: Man pushed to death in New York City subway station - CNN.com

Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
the first snow has fallen in the city that I reside in, and already the window lickers cant' be bothered trudging through the light coating of snow on the sidewalk and feel they need to walk on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events