Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:57 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
All of us do stupid stuff no matter how smart or dumb we are.
^This.

We've all done stupid stuff, its just that usually it doesn't lead to anything. If we listed the amount of crap we do throughout our lifetimes that puts us at a 0.001% chance of being in a lethal accident, we'd be surprised.

The odds are generally with us, but the world is a dangerous place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:55 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Natural selection...

Old 11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The fact this child was killed crossing the tracks is worthy of a thread to point out that this happens way too often. But the reason for the thread seems to be to belittle the deceased child and even the family for holding a vigil at the sight where she was killed, rather than to show sympathy and highlight the problems of some RR crossings and the number of people hurt or killed. Those with no sympathy for accidents that involve teens or other loved ones and possibly questionable behavior would certainly feel differently if the person had been someone near and dear to them. That's why I don't care for threads that start out as this one does. OP, If you want to do that then contact the family of this child and tell them face to face what you think. None of us were there, nor were we even given a link to the article to read. I think it's odd she wouldn't have felt or heard the train coming. People wearing headphones don't always have them blasting so they can't hear anything else. It's a shame this happened and I feel bad for her parents. The family holding a vigil at the tracks is no different than people holding vigils on a highway where a person was killed or even on a street corner somewhere. They often put signs, some balloons, candles and such as a remembrance. OP, do you put down those that have some kind of prayer and vigil at other places where an injury accident took place? Why does it matter to you how they choose to deal with their grief?

It's so easy to judge this girl and every other "dummy" out there. Now think back to a few of the not so bright things we all have done during the course of life, especially when an invincible teen or college kid. Ya never took any chances when you were a kid or acted without thinking things through well? We could probably make quite an interesting thread on that subject too. Ever get behind the wheel when you knew you were over the legal limit and shouldn't drive? Wouldn't that be considered "darwinism at it's finest"? I'd say it qualifies.

As far as the subways in New York City, they could have had barriers for free sometime ago as long as the company was able to advertise and such. It would have been a good deal and made it much safer. Even before mobile phones there were some people right up next to the edge of the platform. People and their phones, the preoccupation with them and the things they do, that could be yet another thread.
I'm empathetic to the family that lost a child but am so frustrated with someone wanting to barricade etc because people can't exercise simple common sense.

Standing right on the edge of a clearly marked subway platform or walking on a train tracks with headphones on are fundamentally stupid at a couple of levels. We don't need barricades to tell us that nor do we need more rules and "bubble wrapping" for the vast majority that DO exercise a reasonable level of awareness and caution.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:28 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yeah, but there's day altering stupid and life altering stupid
That's why it's miracle that I'm alive! Never thought my son would make it to adulthood , either.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So...they now have to spend a lot of money putting up fences to stop peons like you from playing on the tracks? What happens when some genius insist on climbing over the fence to play? When do we stop protecting people from their own stupidity?
I think he was merely pointing out that kids do stupid things.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There are shortages of lots of things in this world. Dumbasses ain't one of them.

Amen to that.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:20 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
A young girl was struck and killed while walking across the light rail tracks in my town. Sadly, she was wearing headphones and probably didn't hear it coming. It is tragic. Not sure why she didn't pay attention and look before she crossed though.

So family and friends held an unofficial gathering at the light rail tracks in the evening to remember her. It was reported they were all standing on the tracks. .... Did they want to join her??? WTH??? What is wrong with people??

Trains are one of the few forces at work still cleansing our gene pool.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Trains are one of the few forces at work still cleansing our gene pool.
Along with a human's ability to pay attention.. or lack thereof.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Could have been suicide, or an accident
Either way the tone of the OP sucks.

What's so hard to understand? Some of us like music when we walk.
At your own detriment, it would seem.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The fact this child was killed crossing the tracks is worthy of a thread to point out that this happens way too often. But the reason for the thread seems to be to belittle the deceased child and even the family for holding a vigil at the sight where she was killed, rather than to show sympathy and highlight the problems of some RR crossings and the number of people hurt or killed. Those with no sympathy for accidents that involve teens or other loved ones and possibly questionable behavior would certainly feel differently if the person had been someone near and dear to them. That's why I don't care for threads that start out as this one does. OP, If you want to do that then contact the family of this child and tell them face to face what you think. None of us were there, nor were we even given a link to the article to read. I think it's odd she wouldn't have felt or heard the train coming. People wearing headphones don't always have them blasting so they can't hear anything else. It's a shame this happened and I feel bad for her parents. The family holding a vigil at the tracks is no different than people holding vigils on a highway where a person was killed or even on a street corner somewhere. They often put signs, some balloons, candles and such as a remembrance. OP, do you put down those that have some kind of prayer and vigil at other places where an injury accident took place? Why does it matter to you how they choose to deal with their grief?

It's so easy to judge this girl and every other "dummy" out there. Now think back to a few of the not so bright things we all have done during the course of life, especially when an invincible teen or college kid. Ya never took any chances when you were a kid or acted without thinking things through well? We could probably make quite an interesting thread on that subject too. Ever get behind the wheel when you knew you were over the legal limit and shouldn't drive? Wouldn't that be considered "darwinism at it's finest"? I'd say it qualifies.

As far as the subways in New York City, they could have had barriers for free sometime ago as long as the company was able to advertise and such. It would have been a good deal and made it much safer. Even before mobile phones there were some people right up next to the edge of the platform. People and their phones, the preoccupation with them and the things they do, that could be yet another thread.
Speak for yourself. Some of us don't run around making excuses for our friends and family members ignorant actions. If that had been my child, I'd have been feeling guilty about the fact she was wearing headphones walking along the train tracks on a school night to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events