Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 05:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,988,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Ok, so until you pittie apologists have the galls to form protest groups demanding that we have laws requiring specific qualifications to eliminate certain classes of people from owning pit bulls, we will just have to focus on the dogs themselves. If you want "fairness" for your beloved breed, then you need to step up and demand that certain peoples must not be allowed to own them. Until such time, we will have to go after the pitbull dogs themselves.
Laws...good thing drugs are illegal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Where did you gather that information? Can you share it with us?
Still waiting for a reply to my post where I provided an answer in to this quoted question you asked me;

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...l#post37787307

`

Old 12-27-2014, 05:25 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
Quote:
Why are people so anti- Pit Bull?
And why are certain people stubbornly insistent on having to own a pit bull when there are any number of other breeds which are equally suitable as companions and far less likely to cause any trouble?

Old 12-27-2014, 05:26 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
You blame the dog. ..without knowing the owner? That seems unfair and presumptuous. Trash is attracted to those dogs sadly and they are responsible for training this aggression into them, more so than other breeds. When is the last time you passed a drug house with a Lab or golden retriever out front?
You just ruined your own argument. Of course they dont have labs or goldens, because they arent naturally aggressive like pits.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:28 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
I'm going to jump in here and just say a few things.

First, a dog can be bred for temperament just like he can be bred for pulling a sled or hunting birds. Anybody here ever read Clarence Pfaffenburger's The "New Knowledge of Dog Behavior"? One of the things I read in that book was how at Guide Dogs for the Blind, they decided to start breeding for trainability in their dogs. Once they did that, the success rate of the dogs becoming certified guide dogs rose from 21% to 96%. What I believe is going on with pit bulls is that there really is no basic standard for them. The dogs shown at AKC sanctioned shows are American Staffordshire Terriers, and while those dogs are obviously "pit bull" type, they have a strict standard they need to be bred to. For instance, their maximum weight is 60 lbs (which I'll grant, is still a somewhat large dog). They're a terrier, so naturally they may be dog aggressive (most terriers are), but they don't attack people because they're not naturally aggressive dogs.

The pit bulls you see that are owned by drug dealers and dog fighters have either no papers and no pedigree, or their pedigree is mainly word of mouth. It's probably pretty safe to say that they aren't bred for having the temperament to live as household companions, and more likely, the dogs are bred to be fighters.

Having said that, many "pits" of this nature can live as a househould pet, provided the owner knows how to handle a dominant breed of dog. I remember going to an American Temperament Test Society test hosted by the San Jose Pit Bull Club. There were a number of good dogs that passed, including mine (a Doberman), but I did see where pit bulls passed and an Akita or two didn't. It takes training and know how.

I personally would never keep a dog that bit me or anyone else. That's like living with an abusive husband (or wife). Because it will always happen a second time.

And I have to remind people here that the picture of the bull with a dog on its nose may also indicate a working cattle dog, not necessarily a rabid pit bull. Let's keep in mind here that Old Yeller grabbed a cow by her nose once in the book. That's what working cow dogs, or ketch dogs, do.

And I know this doesn't help, but I spent years and years waiting for my Doberman to "turn on me". I know it's hard to believe, but at one time pit bulls were not public enemy number one. That title belonged to those "vicious" Dobermans and I still remember the few people in our neighborhood who ran to grab their put bulls when I walked my dog past them, even though he was on leash.

I think there are a lot of pit bulls that shouldn't be owned by people, but I first and foremost believe the biggest problem with the breed is the problem of dog fighting and drugs. We never heard of these things happening until gangs, drugs, and dog fighting became so popular in the US. I think if we ever manage to get those things under control, the pit bull problem will solve itself.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:30 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You can see a still photo of Fat Boy at 1:15. Looks more like a mix with a mastiff than an exclusively pitty breed. It has a drooly-dog mouth. TRAGIC: Indiana man mauled to death by his own pit bull “Fat Boy” on Christmas Day | FOX6Now.com

And that is why I would never get a pit bull, even though I find some of them perfectly adorable. I would love to adopt the puppy at 0:50 in the following video, for example, but I can't get past my fear that the dog would turn on me someday. Indiana pit bull kills 40-year-old owner: Dog bones end in fatal mauling (Video) - San Diego Top News | Examiner.com
yep.... you can't trust a single one of 'em.....

^^^ this is me with one of our passengers, on transport this morning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Here's a picture of Fat Boy. He is definitely a pitbull. Indiana man mauled to death by his pit bull on Christmas Day - NY Daily News
I see a LOT of molasser in that dog.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Ok, so until you pittie apologists have the galls to form protest groups demanding that we have laws requiring specific qualifications to eliminate certain classes of people from owning pit bulls, we will just have to focus on the dogs themselves. If you want "fairness" for your beloved breed, then you need to step up and demand that certain peoples must not be allowed to own them. Until such time, we will have to go after the pitbull dogs themselves.
those "certain classes" of people should not own ANY breed of dog, or any other animal, for that matter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The names of the dogs , Fatboy, and Keylo ( a misspelling of kilo?) say a lot about the owners.
yup.... had that same thought and was actually surprised to see that his ears looked to be intact.....

Old 12-27-2014, 06:50 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
Any man who let a single pit bull kill them had to be a pansy.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:55 PM

I have a friend that breeds these kinds of dogs. They are well over 60#, but they are very behaved, calm, and do well with kids. Never a problem I've heard of. He is also picky about who he sells to...

Old 12-27-2014, 07:07 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why is hard to grasp for pit bull apologists. I would not take in a baby wolf, a bear cub, a lion kitten etc and expect it to be nice and civil down the road. I don’t expect the same out of any pit bull or related mixes. The delusional keep telling themselves pit bulls are as gentle and friendly as a King Charles Cavalier.
I agree.

Like keeping a pet cobra around the house.

The lives of one million pit bulls are not worth the life of one child. There are simply some breeds that should not be around people.

Ok, maybe I am being a little harsh. How about we allow people to keep their precious pit bulls with the understanding that if the dog ever gets out and hurts anyone the owner gets euthanized?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Any man who let a single pit bull kill them had to be a pansy.
Well, I had a pit once. It was what I call "a drug dog". Some trash owned it and when the bank foreclosed on their house, my father bought it so as to control the neighborhood and who lived there so that people like them wouldn't move in again. They just left the dog. So my dad's wife, animal lover she is, adopted it. When the family first got it, it was friendly and could be petted over the fence. Then they sent it off for about 10 days and when it came back it growled at passers by, and would not go near the fence. When we got it it had all sorts of issues.

Anyway, it was very aggressive at this point. Growling and charging and snapping at me. One time it charged it pretty hard. Scared me to be blunt. It took a fist to the chest maybe 80% of what I could throw. It was knocked back a few feet and then my other dog attacked it to keep it from coming back (German Shepherd. Very very well behaved. Had since a pup). Anyway, not only was the Pit unharmed, but it obviously didn't care. It wasn't even made. I looked into its face before my other dog distracted it, and it was just blank. No anger, no hurt, no fear, noone home. I feel like it was trying to assert dominance and when leaning into him didn't work I had to get more physical. Eventually the dog was put down because it failed to learn it's place and continued to be aggressive.

My point is, those dogs are tough. They are willful. You will not succeed in stopping it with your hands alone. You won't even **** it off. I know your post was in sarcasm, but I've had a brief run in and can tell ya, you wish you had your pistol or better a rifle or shotgun when one of them needs putting down fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events