Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

My friend was telling me about a neighbor child who acts like that...she told him her kids couldn't play, and he picked up all the flower pots on her porch and smashed them.

I think behavior like that is more than a tantrum and the child needs some kind of help (in the case of my friend's neighbor, my friend called child protective services but they told her to just call the police when the boy acts out like that).

I've also noticed that when I see a kid who isn't mine acting up in a store and there's no adult with them, if I tell them to stop what they're doing, they generally stop. Even grown men have been known to react to the mom-voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:53 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why did the store staff stand by for so long without doing anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If I was the owner of that store and I was on-site........I would have picked that brat up and threw him out of the store.
Yeaaah... not with the threat of a lawsuit from precious darlings parents as a very real consequence..
Not to mention three minutes is not an especially long time to respond if the mgr is elsewhere and unaware until it's reported to them. I would first call the cops, then see to the safety of employees and customers, and then tried to contain the kid in one aisle without physically touching him in any way, if possible. Stuff is just stuff, and writing it off as a loss is likely to cost less than any possible lawsuit from touching the kid. Let the police handle that bit.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:24 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,341 times
That's not what I expected. He seemed to be very calm and methodical. It didn't look much like a 'tantrum' or 'meltdown'.

I'm not sure that I would have done anything, unless I was the manager of the store. But I hope that the kid gets punished.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 PM

39 posts, read 51,480 times
Ahh yes. American children. The precious little angels who shall not have any adult even so much as to give them a mean look without risking being thrown in prison for "Child Abuse" and losing their careers.

I am sure this child was rewarded with an ice cream cone upon exiting the store by his mother to "make him feel better", and the mother might even be in the process of filing a lawsuit against the store employees for putting their filthy hands on this beacon of innocence.

LOL. I'm a fan of corporal punishment. Violence is a pretty effective deterrent for inappropriate behavior that the child KNOWS is wrong already.

I feel bad for the owners of the store. They will probably be unable to recoup any damages caused by this kid because children are so glorified in american culture. Another open and shut case of "kids just being kids"

Old 01-01-2015, 11:46 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
Dunno. Tantrum kids always ruin my mood. If I was in the store at the time it would be worse when my favourite music played!!! It means from very happy to sad face in just seconds. Just like "sunny weather and then quickly changed to overcast". If I'm a sim in the sims 2 it seems like the mood goes straight from "platinum" to "red"

Old 01-02-2015, 01:45 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
That's not what I expected. He seemed to be very calm and methodical. It didn't look much like a 'tantrum' or 'meltdown'.

I'm not sure that I would have done anything, unless I was the manager of the store. But I hope that the kid gets punished.
Yes, this is not a tantrum. It's more troublesome than a tantrum. Cool, calm, anger.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:21 AM

7 posts, read 6,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The little hoodlum needs to be carried back into the store by the beltloop or scruff of his neck and made to apologize for his behavior before he places each and every item back onto the shelf neatly.
I agree with you. I think we are seeing the end result of a child has little if any discipline (whatever type parents feel appropriate- I was not spanked but I realize parent discipline styles are different and children are different ) they key here was lack of any or all consisancy. The parents failed the child. Also the person taping this should feel ashamed. That child knows he was being taped and heard the laughter am.most like poking at him to continue. Not to mention when other countries including the middle east see this they will think all of our children are like this.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,010 times
Agreed. I don't even know why. Well I kinda do. Its usually kids trying to get mom/dad attention but they are all consumed in which pair of leggins make them look the sexiest lol I have three boys. Older now. But one time when the youngest was two I was at Walmart and we were checking out and he wanted candy. I denied him which led to blood curdling scream. Oh the embarrassment. It would have been so easy to get him something little to shut him up. But I refused. To my surprise. A lady came up to me in the parking lot and commended me for 'not giving in'. He he. Kinda made my day. So now if I see the same thing happening in the Checkout line I try to let mom that her efforts are noticed. Lord knows it can be a thankless job sometimes

Old 01-02-2015, 06:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
"He needs his ass kicked"

--Because clearly his behavior wasn't learned from a home filled with violence

Proper punishment: He gets to volunteer there for 2 hours each day after school for the next year. His duty is stocking shelves. Non-violent punishments that fit the crime are far more effective than the "fun" of beating someone smaller than you.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I think it's sad. That kid has no guidance... There's something disturbing going on with that kid. I don't think I'd stand around filming and jeering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events