Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM

1,077 posts, read 872,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
So ??? As I said, he had the two incidents before killing Martin. Both were 7 years before killing Martin.

Also as I said, nothing to be proud of.

I don't recall the exact quote from the bond hearing, but when the state brought up the resisting arrest, the judge said something like 'I know how those things work,' and basically disregarded it. He knew that cops will pump any questioning or touching to resisting/violence.

Unless he did a lot more and wasn't caught, I don't consider his pre-Martin record worthy of calling a long history of violence or a predictor that he'd kill anyone.

I've gone thru life with none...so, must be his nature to be violent.

Yes, I agree he's done lots more and escaped being arrested. His father being a majestrate back then might have pulled many strings and still he's enabled..

One arrest is one too many and was able to expunge his record to obtain the CCP..if anyone doesn't need weapons, it's GZ.

GZ is another fatality waiting to happen, not if, when..

Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
SMH

A wrongful death lawsuit, even if this mooch has no money, would be what this guy needs, even if he had 30 years to pay it off, would be held over his head and he doesn't like anything held over him..

TM's parents have moved on...I'm just thinking it would be symbolic for GZ to have to pay..

Thank you very much but I never said GZ was innocent...

West was horrible to RJ, making fun of her, which put her on the defensive due to his lack of compassion..
There has already been a wrongful death suit by the Martin family against the condo association and/or management company. The charge being that allowing Zimmerman to have his half-a**ed, unregulated, untrained, neighborhood watch title was negligence. Insurance coverage was limited to one million dollars and the case was settled for what is believed to be in excess of that amount; the actual settlement is sealed. It is doubtful a similar suit will be filed against Zimmerman as prosecuting such would be extremely expensive and stand little chance of getting any payoff from the destitute defendant. I imagine that could change if anybody paid Zimmerman for a book, creating revenue.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But certainly nothing to indicate that he was a cold blooded murderer which is what is being alleged by those who support TM, only because he is Black, in this topic.
Taking black supporters of TM out of the equation for the moment, I am not sure him being black was key to people empathizing with him.
Keep in mind that the way the media initially portrayed the situation (white adult armed thug kills innocent unarmed little black child), it made many people, including myself assume he was probably guilty. Remember GZ's prison picture was juxtaposed to a picture of TM at around 11 years old was the firs pictures most of us saw. Then the media continuing to play up the racial aspect with doctoring the 911 tapes to make it seem as if GZ mentioned race first, as opposed to what really happened with the 911 asking for race first.
Then there was the attempt to try and hear the word "coon" is countless audio playbacks. It reminded me of the people who listened for demonic words playing records backwards. Frankly you could hear anything you were already predisposed to believing.
Anyway, regardless of race, many parents were empathizing with TM because they had kids themselves. Others are anti-gun to begin with, so they were against citizens having firearms, and this was just another example of a system gone wrong with too many guns in their minds. I could go on, but you get the point.

There is a group of people out there that are B type of personalities. They are not aggressive, or go getters. Instead they are mellow, placid, etc. and would never empathize with a neighborhood watch person. They certainly would not imagine themselves chasing after a bad guy, either out of fear, or just their general frame of mind. they will also be against GZ even if they don't believe TM was an angel, because they arm chair quarterback by saying "if only he had done this, or didn't do that". Since none of GZ's actions would occur to them, how can they take his side.

For those of us, regardless of race who stated to realize the media was aligned against GZ, and even good old post racial POTUS Obama once again chimed in before all the facts were in. Hence the reason many people now look at black mugshots and say "Obama's son".
But I digress.
We decided to challenge our initial reactions due to the media framed narrative, where as others stuck with their first thoughts, and never let go.
Some of us also have A type personalities and can envision being fed up with crime in our communities, and we are going to get involved, even if it means going into harms way. So people like that will likely be inclined to give GZ the benefit of the doubt, especially in light of the aforementioned.

Lastly, we have the black people factor. Regardless of whether it should be this way or not, far too many blacks in the last few generations are being raised with racial chips on their shoulders. Others are into being of a different culture and not assimilating into the so called "white culture"(i.e. working for the man or being an "Uncle Tom").
This sadly goes against the MLK's teachings of unity, but his voice is no longer around, and instead you have race baiters like Sharpton on the mega phones.
It is not healthy for them, nor society as a whole.
Fortunately more blacks are starting to realize (or never bought into) that the Sharpton's of the world will only lead them down the wrong road. Sure they see things from a black persons perspective, but how can they not?
Yet many are God fearing, hard working people who are making something out of their lives, and providing a good future for their kids. So they will not be as inclined to support TM or be against GZ unless it is something related to facts, not race.

`

Old 01-20-2015, 03:35 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
There has already been a wrongful death suit by the Martin family against the condo association and/or management company. The charge being that allowing Zimmerman to have his half-a**ed, unregulated, untrained, neighborhood watch title was negligence. Insurance coverage was limited to one million dollars and the case was settled for what is believed to be in excess of that amount; the actual settlement is sealed. It is doubtful a similar suit will be filed against Zimmerman as prosecuting such would be extremely expensive and stand little chance of getting any payoff from the destitute defendant. I imagine that could change if anybody paid Zimmerman for a book, creating revenue.
I find it disturbing that the HOA could be sued, even if Zimmerman did act negligently. If I am not mistaken they had rules about not being armed, and certainly did not promote vigilante justice. So how could they be held accountable
Answer: Only a bunch of money grubbing lawyers could find a way to hold the HOA responsible. The sad thing is that it probably will have a chilling effect on HOA's having neighborhood watches in the future, for fear of potential lawsuits.

`

Old 01-20-2015, 03:40 PM

104 posts, read 83,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What does 'giving him a pass' mean. Nothing to be proud of and not wanting as a buddy is about what it amounts to for me. I'm with the bond judge who called the dv and mutual restraining order 'somewhat mild' and the cop incident 'run of the mill.' For a 29 year-old guy when he killed TM, sorry, it doesn't = a long history of violence or a dangerous criminal.

I don't think of TM as a thug, so maybe my standards for long history of violence or thug are atypical.
To you it is that you wouldn't want him for a buddy. Some have actively supported him by sending him money and verbally attacking people who suggested, for example, he was not a good person to be carrying a gun. And remember, these are simply the instances that have reached the legal response level. Generally, one can assume a certain number of unreported infractions for each reported. I believe I've read the ratio (behaviors for which there is no legal action take/behaviors for which there is legal action taken) increases nearly exponentially.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:44 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Taking black supporters of TM out of the equation for the moment, I am not sure him being black was key to people empathizing with him....

`
I am 98.9% sure.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
I find it disturbing that the HOA could be sued, even if Zimmerman did act negligently. If I am not mistaken they had rules about not being armed, and certainly did not promote vigilante justice. So how could they be held accountable
Answer: Only a bunch of money grubbing lawyers could find a way to hold the HOA responsible. The sad thing is that it probably will have a chilling effect on HOA's having neighborhood watches in the future, for fear of potential lawsuits.

`
Or, that if they have a Neighborhood Watch it will be trained well, coordinated with the police, scheduled and have regulations precluding an armed man with a police record, likely taking mind altering drugs for which he had a current prescription, deciding on his own while on a shopping excursion to stalk, confront and kill an innocent youth under the guise of Neighborhood Watch.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
I've gone thru life with none...so, must be his nature to be violent.

Yes, I agree he's done lots more and escaped being arrested. His father being a majestrate back then might have pulled many strings and still he's enabled..

One arrest is one too many and was able to expunge his record to obtain the CCP..if anyone doesn't need weapons, it's GZ.

GZ is another fatality waiting to happen, not if, when..
There's a difference between your zero arrests, GZ's two arrests being two too many, and a long history of violence.

Just as a difference between no school suspensions, 3 or 4 being that number too many, and being a thug.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
This sadly goes against the MLK's teachings of unity, but his voice is no longer around, and instead you have race baiters like Sharpton on the mega phones.
It is not healthy for them, nor society as a whole.
Fortunately more blacks are starting to realize (or never bought into) that the Sharpton's of the world will only lead them down the wrong road. Sure they see things from a black persons perspective, but how can they not?
Yet many are God fearing, hard working people who are making something out of their lives, and providing a good future for their kids. So they will not be as inclined to support TM or be against GZ unless it is something related to facts, not race.

`
Thanks for the dissertation on the entire thought process of the black community. Sure, the only reason a lot of us see things the way we do is because of Al Sharpton. Not because of silly things like history and personal experience

And yes. A lot of AA's do have a racial chip on their shoulder. But that chip is necessary in some ways. We need to keep in mind that if we want to succeed we have to make sure we work twice as hard because we already have so much going against us statistically speaking. It's not all about crying racism.

And to the assertion that there are no hard working, God fearing blacks that support TM based on race....I just don't know what to say to that.

If it matters, I'm a 20 something year old with a Literature degree that enjoys English Rennaisance Drama and listening to classical music, so I feel no need to "act black" as you say.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh Dear, "many alternative reasons". LOL

This "many alternate reasons" simply means you can't accept the Jury decision, and thus are throwing all kinds of made up excuses at it hoping that some excuse ends up sticking.

Thanks for admitting that.

The jury decision was decided and accepted- period-- the man walks-
DO I agree it was a correct decision-
for self defense - NO-
because TM was Afro-American --NO-

MY reasons- why I think he is at fault for the boys death- nothing to do with the judicial process

1- A grown man against a child - mature thinking should have made A difference
2- NO verbal communication FROM Zim to de-escalate the problem
3- Zim complicated matters by NOT obeying instructions that maybe would have saved HIS life had things went different. The 911 told him to stay back to protect him-

will I change your mind NEVER - you could never be wrong- ever- do I care- NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events