Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Surprised? no, care, yes. It's another reminder of how ridiculous they are.

They are animals, filth and scum. They murder people in horrible ways, you expect them to respect artifacts?

It's terrible that they would plunder ancient, historic relics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
They destroyed priceless ancient Mesopotamian/Assyrian artifact. They pretty much destroyed over half of Mesopotamian history. Very sad and disgusting.

Glad some of statues and such were already taken to Europe and North America.

Yeah I agree, launch a mission to rescue relics and store them in a museum. ISIS will most likely sell them on the black market and use the money for funding.

Good think Turkey took back the Tomb of Suleyman in Syria this past week.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:17 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Is anyone really surprised? Who cares.

Who cares?!? A lot of us who are interested either in art, or cultural artifacts in general, care very much. No one's cultural history should be destroyed. And it's emblematic of how they're destroying all of what people think of as the pleasures of life. Weren't you aware of the outrage across the world when the Taliban destroyed the Bamiyan Buddhas?

Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yeah, a lot looked like plaster of paris with no age Patina.
They confirmed they were made of plaster. They said the iron bars were visible during the video.

Did ISIS Smash Fake Sculptures in Mosul? Experts say Many of Them Were Replicas - artnet News

Instead of England, the originals were kept in Baghdad.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:51 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Quote:
I mean who cares, as in, various groups of humans have been destroying ancient artifacts since the dawn of time, this is not a particulary barbaric or unusual behavior. The egyptians, The greeks, The romans, The goths, the huns, The arabs, The Ottomans, the Nazis and yes even the, the United States of America have all done it and on a grander scale than ISIS. What do you think happened in musuems when US forces came into Iraq? They (the iraqis) looted them and we had nothing to do with the destruction of rare and valuable artifacts? riiigghhtttt. Not saying I'm an ISIS fan, just saying killing thousands of people was met with mostly indifference by western scholars, but now, the academic community actually cares about ISIS because they dare destroy artifacts in a museum.

There is nothing particularly terrible or unusual about destroying historic artifacts.
It's supposed that we "evolved" from ancient times, at least in some regards.
And no, those killings weren't met with "mostly indifference", at least in Europe.
You can criticise the inaction of world governments, but to say that those killings have been met with "mostly indifference" is completely false.
Yes, we could all agree that media exploited the events, that #jesuischarlies, kobane and company were also manipulated by the media, but it's a blatant lie to minimise this abhorrent act with the excuse that ISIS has done worse things.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
They want everything of the 10th century but they all drive around in a 2015 Toyota Tundra. Where are they getting all those new trucks anyway?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They confirmed they were made of plaster. They said the iron bars were visible during the video.

Did ISIS Smash Fake Sculptures in Mosul? Experts say Many of Them Were Replicas - artnet News

Instead of England, the originals were kept in Baghdad.
Wishful thinking, they are confirming most of the items were not fakes.
New IS Video Shows Militants Smashing Ancient Iraq Artifacts - ABC News

Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Saw this on the national news this morning. Isn't that wonderful (sarcasm). The Muslim spokesman in the broadcast said that ancient civilizations used to worship those statues instead of worshipping Allah. I guess that's probably one of the main reasons they are destroying them. Kind of reminds me what modern day atheists and the like are trying to do with symbols of Christianity in America and how they are trying to purge the public square of all religious symbols through their endless litigation. "Christians use these symbols to worship God instead of worshipping the goddess of reason".
Are you kidding me? You are comparing atheists who don't want religion shoved down their children's throats in schools, as per our constitution, which was written by a bunch of guys who FOUNDED this country on the premise that no one would have to adhere to any sort of religious faith and certainly wouldn't have it dictated to them as their former country did- you are comparing that to ISIS? Are you KIDDING me? Some guy not wanting to see the Ten Commandments in a court room is a far far cry from destroying relics of ancient civilizations, raping and pillaging. Your statement is an insult to ANYONE who has ever suffered under a totalitarian or religious regime. Its like Paris Hilton saying "god, my life is so TOUGH". I mean, seriously. I am not even an atheist but your statement is totally beyond the pale.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:54 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
I mean who cares, as in, various groups of humans have been destroying ancient artifacts since the dawn of time, this is not a particulary barbaric or unusual behavior. The egyptians, The greeks, The romans, The goths, the huns, The arabs, The Ottomans, the Nazis and yes even the, the United States of America have all done it and on a grander scale than ISIS. What do you think happened in musuems when US forces came into Iraq? They (the iraqis) looted them and we had nothing to do with the destruction of rare and valuable artifacts? riiigghhtttt. Not saying I'm an ISIS fan, just saying killing thousands of people was met with mostly indifference by western scholars, but now, the academic community actually cares about ISIS because they dare destroy artifacts in a museum.

There is nothing particularly terrible or unusual about destroying historic artifacts.
Thanks for pointing out we are no better than ISIS and never have been. Made my day.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM

520 posts, read 775,800 times
All these ISIS guys need is economic opportunity, health insurance and a hug. Then they will be peaceful like the other 99.9% of Muslims.

This is the safest time in history to be an ancient artifact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events