Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,932 times

Advertisements

So much for a second chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
So he was about 15 at the time of the transfer.....

What peeves me is many kids being BOTH the ADULT AND CHILD waiting lists.

This pretty much ensures a child transplant before an adult. And thats just not right.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
Well the cops are clearly to blame. Had they not chased him.... he could have died a few years later... in a robbery attempt gone wrong or beaten to death with a broom stick in prison.

What I'm trying to say is this was inevitable.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What a total waste. The doctors were guilted and strong-armed into giving this kid a transplant, even though he showed every indication that he wouldn't appreciate it or live a life that honored the donor. If I were a relative of the donor I'd be beyond disgusted. Heck, I'm not even related and I'm disgusted. Someone else who was waiting for that heart may be dead now. What a waste.

Lets hope this incident opens some eyes. I think this incident might have donors making demands on their donations and making sure the person who receives the donation meets a strict criteria.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The entire field of transplantation brings up huge ethical issues. Who gets to decide whether one person's life is more deserving than another? There have been countless stories of people with heart transplants that continue to eat poor diets and refuse to exercise. There was a story of a guy who received a lung transplant and actually was trying to smoke in his hospital room after the surgery.

As a society, are we going to monitor every organ recipient to make sure they are living a life that other people decide for them? Are we going to take away their choice and free will? Are we going to have them sign contracts stating they will never do anything wrong ever again? Who wold monitor or enforce such a contract?

Every organ recipient has not been a saint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, but that would not be politically or culturally Sensitive .

Facebook post from the Atlanta TV reporter who covered the story two years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/JovitaMoore...type=1&theater
It's not about political correctness at all. See above. Does the gift of an organ allow other people to determine that person's life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What a waste. Why is this stuff nearly always young black men? I've never seen such general anger in other groups.
Anger? Just no. What about white people who engaged in colonialism and imperialism? Much more damaging than the acts of a petty criminal.

You can't pen the world's ills on black men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most aren't but a good percentage of black men are involved in crime and mischief. Statistics don't lie no matter how much we can sit here and argue.
Your racial bias and assumptions are showing. Which statistics and do they show the real picture?

I would contend that the actions of the guy in the OP were far less harmful than the acts of someone like Bernie Madoff. Thousands of lives (and families) were ruined by Madoff and those effects will be felt for decades.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
now how were they supposed to know this boy would end his life in such a way?
Did you read the article? You are the 2nd one to ask this question. This individual wouldn't even take the drugs and perform the pre-requirements in order to receive a heart. It was only pressure of the race hucksters that got him a place in line.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It'd be a dangerous slope to go on for policymakers to even begin judging who is 'worthy' of healthcare.
It would be. But that isn't what happened here.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would contend that the actions of the guy in the OP were far less harmful than the acts of someone like Bernie Madoff. Thousands of lives (and families) were ruined by Madoff and those effects will be felt for decades.
A pointless comparison to distract from the issue a hand as was dropping the R-word at least once in your post.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:06 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
Am I the only one sick and tired of the ACLU poking their nose into everything?

"But they changed their minds following pressure from civil rights groups and the boy's family, who said he had been stereotyped as a troubled teen"

And they were right! The men and women we are today are the result of our life experiences and behavior up to now. Period. The way we have lived our lives and conducted ourselves every day, results in the blessings or consequences we receive.

Just really sick and tired of "civil rights groups" minding every one else's business.
Did the ACLU really get involved? I know it said civil rights groups, but I didn't see them mentioned specifically. No doubt there are many different civil rights groups.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most aren't but a good percentage of black men are involved in crime and mischief. Statistics don't lie no matter how much we can sit here and argue.
There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events