Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times

Advertisements

I guess it just proves maybe there really is a "Book of Life" somewhere out there, and although a transplant can prolong your life for many years, in some cases, when your number is up, its simply your time to go. I remember, when I was a kid, my grandfather's relatively fatalistic saying, "If the good Lord wants me, he's going to take me."

Philosophy aside, maybe the only reason he had changed his lifestyle was because his failing health left him no choice; and, the transplant made it possible for him to go back to his old ways once again.

I think even convicted murders deserve a life-saving organ, if there is no one else that can use such a selflessly offered gift.

In either case, it shouldnt be wasted or taken for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I think even convicted murders deserve a life-saving organ, if there is no one else that can use such a selflessly offered gift.

Wow really? Why would you give a good heart to someone who has little regard for life? A CONVICTED murderer should be the very last person to get a heart imo.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
The guy didn't die from reckless behavior. He died from criminal behavior. After he shot at an old lady after breaking into her home, he died during a high speed police chase.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:24 AM

142 posts, read 242,251 times
No convicted criminals should get organs, no matter what their age. Very few criminals ever change their ways.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I would contend that the actions of the guy in the OP were far less harmful than the acts of someone like Bernie Madoff. Thousands of lives (and families) were ruined by Madoff and those effects will be felt for decades.
Ummmmm.......you would be wrong.

A. No one was physically hurt by Madoff unlike Stoke's two victims who are currently hospitalized.
B. Madoff's "victims" were made whole by the trustee in regards to their original investment so while they didn't reap their crazy returns, they didn't actually lose the money they actually invested.
C. This guy took a heart from someone more deserving of the transplant which is the real travesty here.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:06 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
No convicted criminals should get organs, no matter what their age. Very few criminals ever change their ways.
It depends on the crime in my opinion, but I did know a young man (husband of a co-worker) with Hep-C in liver failure, who was unable to get on the transplant list because he didn't have insurance. He died a few years ago at the age of 30. If that young father of two couldn't get on it, then I damn sure don't think a convicted murderer should be on it.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I wanted him to get the heart initially because I feared (and still fear) the slippery slope tied to only giving "good" people organ transplants. What a complete waste.
I think we already gave a heart transplant to a horrible person in Dick Cheney. Guess this makes two that we know about. Wow, what a waste of a heart, but it goes to show you how misguided these wacko civil rights groups are!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think we already gave a heart transplant to a horrible person in Dick Cheney. Guess this makes two that we know about. Wow, what a waste of a heart, but it goes to show you how misguided these wacko civil rights groups are!

Well at least one of them paid taxes and contributed to society. The other one was more of a burden on society imo. Wasting police time and resources.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
I remember hearing about this story when he was denied the operation....I can't recall what my feelings were about him being denied back than. Clearly the hospital, doctors and insurance company were within they're rights to deny this person the operation citing bad behavior and he wasn't a contributing member of society. It's sad to thing that someone who truly needed that heart wound up not getting it and quote possibly died.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
i feel bad for the organ donor too. what's the point in donating your organs if they're going to be figuratively thrown in the trash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events