Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Children have a constitutional right to public education in CA. You don't think threatening people with removing their constituional rights is coercion? Maybe you should review the word's definition. The school is free to prevent someone who actually has a communicable disease from attending while contagious and every parent still has the right to vaccinate their own child.

Under these circumstances, I am sure California would be happy to supply the necessary books and curriculum.... just as they do to children whose parents DO pay attention to well researched and reviewed scientific data.....

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
[My replies in bold]

Your wrong. Its very different. The choice to feed your kids a diet that allows them to become overweight affects your children. The choice not to vaccinate your children for an infectious disease affects the entire community because those not vaccinated, not only can catch a disease, they can spread it as well. Its why the two problems have been dealt with differently for over a 100 years.

Look guys, you tried every argument imaginable to justify not having to vaccinate your kids. You lost in the legislature where it counted and if you challenge the constitutionality of the law, you'll lose in the courts too.

How about being good sports and either accepting the law and getting your kids they shots they need? We can then bring all this hyperbole to an end.

A child's diet/lifestyle and the health issues that result does indeed go way beyond themselves and does indeed affect other kids and the entire community. Let's start with a kid who doesn't eat right. That kid eating junk food all the time, not eating lots of fruits and vegetables, will get sick more because their immune system isn't up to par and will get things like the cold and flu more often, passing this on to other kids and people in the community. And no, the answer isn't pull them out of school and problem solved(we could say the same for vaccinated kids too if this were true, right?). Before a person gets serious symptoms, they are passing the virus to others. There will be lost productivity, in school and eventually the work force(last I knew kids grow up to be working adults) when kids get health issues from a bad lifestyle/diet, strain on our healthcare system/cost associated with it, etc.

My point in all of this is asking where does it end? One can make lots of arguments for more government control on other choices parents make and frankly, some might be ok with new controls for valid reasons to some as I made above. I'm not saying that vaccines are right/wrong, you missed the point of my entire post you responded too and it appears you took it a little too personal of an attack on vaccines. I see gray here. And I see a potential snowball running downhill. You seem to see it as "just do it and shut up" and this decision exists in a vacuum with no potential ramifications beyond it. We disagree strongly on this point, and vaccines have nothing to do with what we disagree with....there's a bigger issue I'm making here.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Please explain to me how producing one small vaccination is more profitable than producing the antibiotics, anti-virals, pain relievers, fever reducers, etc. needed when someone comes down with one of these easily preventable communicable diseases??
It wasn't, which is the reason for mandates. Don't be stupid, we have a "for profit" healthcare system. Profit is the bottom line in all corporations, not health. If we cared at all we would fight for a non profit healthcare system. But, then your mandates wouldn't be necessary. What to do....

Mandates are an incentive to keep producing vaccines. That's common knowledge and not a conspiracy theory. There was a fear they would stop producing from threats to do so. These mandates give them a reason to continue.

Stop using science like a religion. It's not. It didn't ask to be used that way. The only way science improves on things is by the mistakes it makes. Scientist are ok with being proven wrong and it's open to do so. There is no God of science, no science bible. No scientist would ever claim just because they said it makes it so like a bible quote. Refuting science is science.

With mandates will come an increase in injury and death. There are casualties in all medicine. I imagine the VAERS reporting system will hire more people to deal with it. Since the drug companies are liable for bad product they are thrilled to continue. What company wouldn't be?

Our healthcare system and it's mistakes are our 3rd largest killer in America. Attaching the advice of a doctor or scientist in this country isn't doing you any favors. The fact that you don't know what the main objective is for drug companies who provide a product in our for profit system isn't helping you either.

Please do some more research, as long as you feel like you are qualified to push mandates from your couch, you might as well know why you are doing it. You after all will be looked to for the responsibility of a child's injury due to a vaccine the parent was coerced into getting in order to keep their kid in school. This will only increase as they add more new vaccines to the mandate like hpv, swine flu, and the new ebola vaccine. You might get use to dealing with a few parents that are upset. I guess as long as it isn't your child you'll be ok with this. Right!

I am not anti vax, I am anti delusion. I chose to vaccinate, but I do not agree with mandates, they are dangerous. It perpetuates a divide and groups the unvaccinated. There are better ways to increase vaccination rates without mandates. What are you going to do with the new herds of homeschoolers? They play, they travel, they shop and they go to theme parks. Are you going to suggest tattoos on the forehead?

You've just lumped a whole group of unvaccinated children together. Congratulations on promoting the spread of disease. We were safer when they were mixed into the herd.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanabush View Post
Once people get a lot of money than others it goes to their head and they start thinking success in their area means their opinion on other matters hold merit.

Hollywood actors are the worst with this because they are usually uneducated, picked at a young age for their looks and lack of shame in front of a camera. They literally have nothing to offer the world off camera, which makes many of them mentally unstable and depressed.
Correction. Once someone is famous, it goes to everyone else's head and they start treating everything that person says and does as if it's newsworthy.

Everyone has the right to have an opinion on what happens in the world around them and contrary to the tired gripe of "regular people", that right isn't magically revoked just because you're an, athlete, entertainer, or rich.

The only difference between you guys voicing your opnions and a celebrity doing it is that no one cares who you are and therefore has no reason to blast your opinion all over the media the second you have one.

It's not celebrities thinking their opinion holds merit. It's celebrities being humans with interests and convictions beyond what they do for a living just like everybody else. Though, for the record, the average celebrity does have more influence than not and they didn't give that power to themselves. Who did? Here's a hint. The same society that resents them for having it.

As for him not being a doctor/scientist, if everyone spouting off about politics, science, business, law, education, race, religion, or anything else needed sufficient qualification in said area before they were allowed to do it, there'd be crickets.

To that end, I'm going to assume that you have an academic and professional background with extensive statistical research under your belt and experience casting in the industry to qualify you to state that actors are usually uneducated and picked for their looks and lack of shame in front of the camera with nothing to offer the world off it making many of them mentally unstable and depressed - or is that just how you feel about it?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
He lived with that well known medical expert and authority on autism, Jenny McCarthy, for years. Its fun when the Libs start arguing among themselves.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
He is correct to the extent that the government should not coerce things into people's bodies. Vaccinations should be between parents and doctors, not the government.
They have an option if they so strongly object to vaccinations - homeschool. It really is that simple. You want government services? You have to follow government rules.
Quote:
Children have a constitutional right to public education in CA. You don't think threatening people with removing their constituional rights is coercion? Maybe you should review the word's definition. The school is free to prevent someone who actually has a communicable disease from attending while contagious and every parent still has the right to vaccinate their own child.
Where exactly is it in the constitution that they have a right to public education? Education isn't mentioned in the constitution and public education, free or otherwise, did not exist when the constitution was written.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-01-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
He lived with that well known medical expert and authority on autism, Jenny McCarthy, for years. Its fun when the Libs start arguing among themselves.
What does this have to do with liberals?

As far as I'm concerned, vaccination is NOT a partisan issue. And for the record, some of the most vehement and passionate anti-vaxxers I've met have been politically conservative home-schooling Christians.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:14 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
He is correct to the extent that the government should not coerce things into people's bodies. Vaccinations should be between parents and doctors, not the government.
^^^This. Also, with the illegals, they are bringing in things you cannot vaccinate against for both us, our children and our pets. I think I live in the lice and bedbug capital of the world! The dogs at the shelter got an unknown and this winter, there was a mystery illness being called different things by different doctors. Illegal fever I call it!

If I could take back the vaccinations given my youngest son, an adult with special needs, I'd do it in a minute. I survived those things and am healthy and thriving at 60 years old. Don't let the medical machine $$$$$$$$$ dictate your health.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
It's not celebrities thinking their opinion holds merit. It's celebrities being humans with interests and convictions beyond what they do for a living just like everybody else. Though, for the record, the average celebrity does have more influence than not and they didn't give that power to themselves. Who did? Here's a hint. The same society that resents them for having it.
It's interesting that it seems the ONLY time people have a problem with outspoken celebrities is when they disagree with their stance.

Personally, I give a lot of credit to celebs who realize that by virtue of having increased visibility, they have an opportunity to draw attention to the issues they're passionate about ... whether I agree with them or not. It's better than the vapid celebs who do nothing but look pretty.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He's Canadian, perhaps he needs to address vaccinations rules in his own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events