Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:58 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,322,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Unfortunately, many of these parents are products of bad environments themselves and are carrying that lifestyle on. Some of them have drug and alcohol problems and by definition can not take care of anyone, including themselves. There are parents who are trying their best but who have to work two or three jobs to support their families (but hey that's ok because why should anyone be guaranteed a living wage from one full time job, RIGHT?).

Many of these issues could be solved with fiscally smart progressive ideas and programs. Unfortunately, we'd rather waste time telling people on welfare what to buy and whether two men can get married rather than dealing with the real issues facing our society.

Quote:
When I read CD Forums its clear that many people have little to no experience in dealing with others unlike themselves or even reading objective materials about other people, their plights, etc. Hell, pick up a history book or two, learn basic economics...something...to educate yourself (general, not directed at anyone here). Some of the things people say blow my mind because its clear they've never really thought critically about the situations they are commenting upon nor have they ever learned anything about the topic at hand. Its crazy to me.
Me too. It's maddening, really.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 AM

613 posts, read 466,324 times
Quote:
When I read CD Forums its clear that many people have little to no experience in dealing with others unlike themselves or even reading objective materials about other people, their plights, etc. Hell, pick up a history book or two, learn basic economics...something...to educate yourself (general, not directed at anyone here). Some of the things people say blow my mind because its clear they've never really thought critically about the situations they are commenting upon nor have they ever learned anything about the topic at hand. Its crazy to me.

Totally shocking to me. Don't people know when they're spewing ignorance? And if you call them out on it, they'll brush it off, like, "oh, you're being too PC."

Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,461,365 times
Quote:
In situations like this, people react emotionally to the mayhem witnessed on the television. I used to react the same way myself. Many white people seem disgusted, and some want to wipe their hands, and say about black areas of America, "let 'em rot. They deserve nothing from the taxpayer. All they do is riot, and destroy the few facilities they have. They have no sense of responsibility, and just want to live off the public teat, and breed."

I say this, really, just from reading comments about black people in general on City-Data. This is how I, a foreigner see it, from this thread, and others. Responsible black people post, expressing their disgust, but also trying to give reasons for some of what occurs. We have had a few riots in England also. The similarities are striking. The main difference here, is black and whites have been involved in the rioting.

These things tend to take decades to develop. 35 years ago, Margaret Thatcher set about destroying certain industries she saw as past their time. Steel and Coal were two big ones. Two million manufacturing jobs were lost between 1979 and 1981. Many of those areas of Britain, especially the ex-coal mining valleys of Wales, never really recovered. There is a sense of hopelessness among the young. Some drunken and drug fueled behaviour. Many live off the public teat, and breed. These of course, are white people. I have seen this happen in my lifetime. A once proud working class, reduced from earning good wages, buying homes, moving up socially, to a sub-class of fecklessness, and hopelessness. Not all of course, the smart always find a way out.

The riots here, saw the same sort of things stolen as the Baltimore riots. Cell phones, sneakers, drugs from pharmacies, stupid stuff. The same grinning faces caught on camera as they exited the stores. The riots started in London, and were mainly, but not all, blacks. Then spread to cities like Manchester, where the rioters were mainly white. Some who were interviewed later, said things like, "we have nothing. No work, and what there is minimum wage. We can't even afford the inflated rents charged today."

We are both dealing with people who are filled with hopelessness, and a sense of having no stake in society, and feel they have nothing to lose. In a riot, they steal what gives them instant gratification. We can either wipe our hands of them, and shout, "jail 'em, and throw the key away." Or we can keep looking for a solution. Even if we find one, it will take decades to bring real improvement.

For me, I believe drugs have to be legalized. We can't keep locking folks up for selling, and using drugs. The laws of supply and demand are seen here. Isn't that what capitalism is all about? They should never have been criminalized in the first place. Do gooders many decades ago decided against them, and brought in laws to punish users. Well, look where that has got us this last 50 years. Vast sums thrown at this problem, and still is being done so. It's big business....... on both sides of the so called war. The mayhem caused by this war is plain for all to see. Least of all the people locked up in jail, who upon getting out, can't find work because of the punishment meted out to them.

Secondly, we have to somehow find work for such people to do. The uneducated, some who struggle to put a legible sentence together, all of them. We have to break the cycle of hopelessness. We have to keep the next generation in school, and encourage birth control to lessen children being born into this mess. We have to find a way forward. Where's the money coming from you say? Well, there always seems money available for wars doesn't there? How much did the Iraq war cost the taxpayers of America and Britain? Funny that - when politicians decide a war is needed, there always seems plenty of money for that. They should try using some of these funds to try and lift our people out of the pit of despair, instead of going thousands of miles away, killing people who have done no harm to us. The cost of killing the few who have harmed us, has literally been billions.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,088,082 times
Wow, they are going to play a MLB game with no fans. What a nice city! Glad I don't live there. So far Pittsburgh is doing okay, but all it takes is one media hyped up headliner and BOOM.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,025,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The rich, more than any class of people, just love getting things for free! The middle class as well! And the lower classes! All classes of people!

And if you say, you don't like getting things for free, then you're unquestioningly retarded!

Those that rant and rail about the looters, what's behind it? Envy! They'd love to be doing it themselves!
Getting free stuff is very different from stealing.

Envy? Seriously? You're right, I do love free stuff. Which is something that is given to me by someone else BY CHOICE. As opposed to taking it without permission.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:14 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,025,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Your gravely mistaken because
1. The black cops are the cops,they didn't allow anything. There's wrongs performed every day,Police wrongs are no more than a reflective of everyone. Wrongs are not in the policy's they follow. 2. The police chief is appointed by the mayor. His job is to carry out the administrations objectives. When you see a police department run counter to the mayor's office,,,there's an internal political skirmish....
3.The cops don't pitch nor catch in any policy decision,,they only do their job..Whatever is going on in Maryland is an example of such a breach between the political rulers and the people...Looking at cops is nothing more than a distraction.
The thing that is being conveniently ignored is the union's role in all this. They defend bad cops, fighting to keep them on the job, keep their pay, keep their benefits, keep their retirement.

Yea, the unions. The darling of the "left". When will minorities wake up?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM

78,911 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Quote:
Many of these issues could be solved with fiscally smart progressive ideas and programs. Unfortunately, we'd rather waste time telling people on welfare what to buy and whether two men can get married rather than dealing with the real issues facing our society.
Wierd, because after all the bleating.....the police abuses, poverty, rioting etc. seem to be happening in Baltimore which has had 50 years of Democratic mayors and is roughly 85% democrat.

So rather than address the topic seriously, you blame republicans for not going along with the democrats policies because those policies would fix this mess. Say what? You seem to miss who is running the show there with ZERO oppposition.

Maybe, just maybe....both parties have some stupid policies that aren't working....but you'd never see it that way even when it's staring you in the face.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 AM

78,911 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow, they are going to play a MLB game with no fans. What a nice city! Glad I don't live there. So far Pittsburgh is doing okay, but all it takes is one media hyped up headliner and BOOM.
They just don't want violence to wreck the game because mobs of guys throwing objects at peoples heads and punching each other goes completely against what MLB stands for.

Unless of course it's retaliation for when the other team threw at your guy the day before.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,019,549 times
Seems only the press and MLB scouts are allowed to the game. It look so strange

Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,395,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wierd, because after all the bleating.....the police abuses, poverty, rioting etc. seem to be happening in Baltimore which has had 50 years of Democratic mayors and is roughly 85% democrat.

So rather than address the topic seriously, you blame republicans for not going along with the democrats policies because those policies would fix this mess. Say what? You seem to miss who is running the show there with ZERO oppposition.

Maybe, just maybe....both parties have some stupid policies that aren't working....but you'd never see it that way even when it's staring you in the face.
Where in my post did I mention Democrats or Republicans? Oh RIGHT. I didn't.

Re-read the post. I neither commended nor condemned either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events