Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 06:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,703,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Considering the situation, no cop in his right mind would drink that water. That's no reflection on the child handing it out. His motives are probably 100% peaceful, but nobody knows for sure from whom the child received that water. It would be stupid for the cops to consume it.

I agree with this. Its just basic prudence, nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,986,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I remember the Watts riots.

And then LA decades later in 1992.

Then Oakland.

Ferguson rioted to a lesser extent.

Now Baltimore.

I think people don't understand that this isn't racial. It's more economics. It's marginalized people. Marginalized people get roughed up by cops, killed by them, in great numbers. Poor people are marginalized, or put better, marginalized people are more likely to be poor, more likely not to be getting much care or being in the care of skilled/secure persons, and more likely to come into contact with these ill-trained, sometimes evil/mean police. AND IT NEEDS TO STOP. ALL LIVES MATTER.
Nobody cares about poor whites. Liberals think we're entitled whiners because we're white, conservatives hate us because we're poor. We have no advocates. We fend for ourselves.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,681,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It has nothing to do with poverty. Latinos are much poorer than blacks in the U.S. When was the last time Mexicans burned down a city?
No, hispanics are slightly wealthier than black overall.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM

671 posts, read 894,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
But since the minority is the majority in both the police dept and gov't - why has this continued? I can't believe the black cops or the city gov't would have allowed this to continue without raising concern.
Your gravely mistaken because
1. The black cops are the cops,they didn't allow anything. There's wrongs performed every day,Police wrongs are no more than a reflective of everyone. Wrongs are not in the policy's they follow. 2. The police chief is appointed by the mayor. His job is to carry out the administrations objectives. When you see a police department run counter to the mayor's office,,,there's an internal political skirmish....
3.The cops don't pitch nor catch in any policy decision,,they only do their job..Whatever is going on in Maryland is an example of such a breach between the political rulers and the people...Looking at cops is nothing more than a distraction.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM

12,445 posts, read 8,244,069 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with poverty. Latinos are much poorer than blacks in the U.S. When was the last time Mexicans burned down a city?
Unincorporated East Los Angeles versus the Los Angeles County Sheriff in 1970. In 1992 Los Angeles after the Korean owned liquor stores went up in smoke the first night of the riots the looting and burning train that moved north to Hollywood over the next three days was largely Latino

Old 04-28-2015, 07:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,392,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Unincorporated East Los Angeles versus the Los Angeles County Sheriff in 1970. In 1992 Los Angeles after the Korean owned liquor stores went up in smoke the first night of the riots the looting and burning train that moved north to Hollywood over the next three days was largely Latino
So you have to go back 50 years, and find a minor disturbance? Your second example was a primarily black riot, not a Mexican one, even though Mexicans outnumber blacks like 10-to-1 in Southern CA.

I'd say your examples prove the point. There are far more Hispanics than Blacks in the U.S. (like 50% more) and they are far poorer on average, yet there aren't really any examples analogous to Ferguson or Baltimore.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 PM

11,413 posts, read 9,339,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Let me ask this, they have a minority/majority city, they have all the top positions filled by Black people and yet the people aren't happy and they're saying the same things as were said in Ferguson,Los Angeles,New York City etc. every time there's a riot/protest which is Racism,injustice,poverty to just name a few are rampant in our city.

Given the above what exactly do these rioters want? Seriously, I'm befuddled by all of this.The complaints have been Blacks are not represented fairly when it comes to power positions and if they were all would be rainbows and sunshine.
Well????
Blacks are well represented in Baltimore, from the Mayor to the Police so why is this happening?
For the most part the rioters were a small group of high school hooligans not old enough to vote or know better.

They had no reason for being born in the first place. The cycle of poverty is hard to break. The irresponsible people who gave them life should accept responsibility for this happening too. Can't give a child a stable home and proper upbringing then don't have children. One would think that is simple common sense.

I just moved out of Baltimore one year ago. This makes me sad because except for small pockets of bad neighborhoods the city is not like this. I felt very safe living there and would still consider it safe, where I was living anyway. It's a black eye the city did not need.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,505,970 times
Quote:
So you have to go back 50 years, and find a minor disturbance? Your second example was a primarily black riot, not a Mexican one, even though Mexicans outnumber blacks like 10-to-1 in Southern CA.

I'd say your examples prove the point. There are far more Hispanics than Blacks in the U.S. (like 50% more) and they are far poorer on average, yet there aren't really any examples analogous to Ferguson or Baltimore.
Blacks are slightly poorer than Hispanics in the US. 26% vs. 28% in poverty but for all intents and purposes could be considered equal.

One major thing of note however is the history of Hispanics in the US vs. the history of Blacks in the US. These issues of race when it comes to blacks and whites were ingrained into US culture for hundreds of years, something that has no equivalent with any other race here.

So I agree that it's not all about poverty. There are several other factors that cause this beyond poverty, though that does play a significant part as you don't see any wealthy black people participating in this stuff.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,713,341 times
When you don't put a curfew into effect until 10pm expect problems. During the LA riots which was also in April you had to be off the street at dark. That is what got it under control.

Just like Ferguson with their ridiculous midnight curfew, 10pm is too late.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:26 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,640,053 times
Of course no one is paying attention to the curfew. Good to see that the police are pushing them back now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events