Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 12:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,019,312 times

Advertisements

So 200 of the 235 arrested yesterday were adults and the rest were teens. Al though the teens were quite fearless and aggressive. Arrest being made now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,194,680 times

Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,390,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
Not condoning the actions of these rioters at all, but the first page I saw someone call them entitled...Have you ever been to this area of Baltimore? These kids have NO advantages compared to the rest of America. It does not make it right, but to call them entitled is some BS
They have few advantages when compared to the rest of contemporary America, but they have infinitely more advantaged when compared to the people confined to the ghettoes of the mid-Sixties. Discovering those advantages should be the responsibility of parents and teachers. But the former are, if responsible, struggling with their own issues, and the latter, too often more concerned with their salaries and benefits as participants iin the monopoly that is "public education" -- (an oxymoron, IMHO).

But some will still find their way out, as is always the case, and what's left will be even more excluded and unrealistic.

If anyone has a real remedy (as opposed to a fantasy proposed by politicians and bureaucrats with their own agenda), feel free to speak up.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-28-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,019,312 times
Did he take it? I don't think I saw that

Old 04-28-2015, 12:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,579,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
So, you're calling human beings animals, huh? Nice person you are there.
Well, biologically we are animals. However, some of us have developed the neat skill of reason. Others, not so much. If they act like unreasoning animals then they deserve the label. In fact, looting and burning their own towns is not reasonable. How many lower animals do you know that mess up or destroy their own lairs? Yet these do!

Old 04-28-2015, 12:38 PM

21,984 posts, read 25,338,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The people responsible are the rioters, plain and simple. There is an investigation going on, and it does take awhile for a thorough investigation to be completed.
Baltimore has an ugly, long, and well-documented history of some egregious police brutality. In my mind, it justifies civil disobedience. It's well beyond the point where a rational person would expect an investigation to lead to anything. The only thing that does is lawsuits, and Baltimore seems perfectly content to just pay the damages and not change how it operates. Personally, use of force in effecting an arrest really doesn't bother me. What does is extrajudicial force. You get get someone handcuffed and then take a couple kicks resulting in multiple rib fractures and brain damage for no reason or break some grandmothers shoulder for no reason than you can. It's that kind of conduct that does occur in Baltimore that does bother me. Neck injuries are weird. The damage could have been done during the arrest or a couple of officers might have had a good time in the back of the paddy wagon on the way to lock up. Hard to say for sure.

None of that justifies rioting so you can steal some chips and wanton violence directed at random people because of their race. That's not going to effect anything positive, not that I expect that's really a concern for the rioters.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:48 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,391,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Oh they're just acting like the for the free gatorade, TP and booze. Right?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Baltimore has an ugly, long, and well-documented history of some egregious police brutality. In my mind, it justifies civil disobedience. It's well beyond the point where a rational person would expect an investigation to lead to anything. The only thing that does is lawsuits, and Baltimore seems perfectly content to just pay the damages and not change how it operates. Personally, use of force in effecting an arrest really doesn't bother me. What does is extrajudicial force. You get get someone handcuffed and then take a couple kicks resulting in multiple rib fractures and brain damage for no reason or break some grandmothers shoulder for no reason than you can. It's that kind of conduct that does occur in Baltimore that does bother me. Neck injuries are weird. The damage could have been done during the arrest or a couple of officers might have had a good time in the back of the paddy wagon on the way to lock up. Hard to say for sure.

None of that justifies rioting so you can steal some chips and wanton violence directed at random people because of their race. That's not going to effect anything positive, not that I expect that's really a concern for the rioters.
It doesn't justify rioting in any case. Burning down local businesses and attacking cops is not what's going to get them what they want. (It's hard to say because the investigation isn't over yet.)

Old 04-28-2015, 12:51 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,391,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Did anyone hear Obama's speech? It was on CNN just minutes ago. He spent more time talking about police abuses and societies flaws than he did about the rioters. Though he didn't come right out and say it, he holds whites accountable. I find this totally unacceptable behavior from a president. I can't even begin to explain all the reasons why. How is the white man responsible for black women birthing babies like the rabbits? No father is the home is...who's fault? Society's? The white people?
Didn't he call the rioters thugs and criminals?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,390,029 times
It's worth noting that this time around, with the help of video surveillence, the authorites in Fergusoon did "take names" and actually plan on bringing criminal charges against the lumpenproletariat among the rioters; that did not happen in Watts, Newark, and Detroit half a century ago.

But whether actual accountability can be established remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events