Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I'm not saying we should sensor free speech. I'm saying if you do something to antagonize someone you could get killed.

Every freedom fighter that wanted to stick it to muslims has either had an attempt on their life or has gone into hiding.

Its fine to stir the hornets nest. But if someone has an attempt on their life or has to go into hiding or keeps doing whatever they are doing after they have been sternly warned violence would ensue, that's their problem.

Charlie Hedbo thhough they were just too cool for school. Cartoons of the pope raping children. Cartoons of jesus in a bukkake with Japanese business men, shiva clapping as women were raped. really untasteful stuff. Charlie staff underestimated the resolve of muslims.
Were you born in America? Did you graduate from high school? If so then how is it you didn't learn a damn thing about our constitution and laws?

If you weren't born here and are just gravy-training our prosperity while holding onto those sorts of third world ideas then you should be shown the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's right - they were too busy drinking Shiner Bock and floating the river, enjoying all the personal freedoms that are so often disallowed in predominately Muslim countries.
Shiner Bock and floating the river rep +

Old 05-04-2015, 04:03 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,352 times
What those morons who put on that "show" did was bait weak minded people. Reluctantly, I must admit that they probably were within their first amendment rights, although I wouldn't be surprised if some would claim it was synonymous with hollering "fire" in a crowded theater.
What is disgusting is the baiters' ridicule of a weak minority in this country for their own amusement. Satire, to be effective and to warrant its constitutional protections, is the ridicule of the powerful by the weak and powerless, not the other way around.
If these guys are so tough, why don't they rent a hall and do their "satire" show in Syria or Saudi, instead of organizing an anti-Islam event "live, from the buckle on the Bible belt?" Bunch of losers (unfortunately) protected by my 1st amendment. Score one for the bullies.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I'm not saying we should sensor free speech. I'm saying if you do something to antagonize someone you could get killed.

Every freedom fighter that wanted to stick it to muslims has either had an attempt on their life or has gone into hiding.

Its fine to stir the hornets nest. But if someone has an attempt on their life or has to go into hiding or keeps doing whatever they are doing after they have been sternly warned violence would ensue, that's their problem. .
And I guess if you're stupid enough (and inept enough) to get yourself killed by a Garland police officer (while you're holding an AK 47 in your hands) while you're committing a hate crime, I guess that's your problem too.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:06 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Reluctantly, I must admit that they probably were within their first amendment rights
There's nothing for you to be 'reluctant' and 'admit' or be 'probable' about what the First Amendment means. You either know the Constitution, or you don't. Ugh.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:07 PM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
There's nothing for you to be 'reluctant' and 'admit' or be 'probable' about what the First Amendment means. You either know the Constitution, or you don't. Ugh.
Simple minds like simple answers. Sorry if I can't oblige.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Simple minds like simple answers. Sorry if I can't oblige.
What our First Amendment right entails is extremely simple. You can muddle and complicate it by confusing the right to free speech with the right to not be offended, but they are absolutely two different things. The former is protected and the latter is not.

For example, your right to sputter utter nonsense here is totally legally protected. My right to any legal recourse for being offended by the ridiculousness of your words is not protected at all.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:18 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Surely the problem is that a 'non secular' form of 7th century thinking expects accommodation in a 21st century world.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I think Islam has to reign back and redefine what it is about, cutting out all that 1950`s Egyptian jihadi **** and drop the winged horse and the child bride, nonsense (Isnt that illegal?). It needs to evolve, especially in the minds of young ignorant muslims ( Endless supply there), and become a true religion, like Christianity.
The Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia appointed in 1999 by the King of the House of Saud set the lower limit at 10 years old.

Of course that is legal for an arranged marriage to a 60 yo provided he only has no more than 3 wives already.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if some would claim it was synonymous with hollering "fire" in a crowded theater.
By 'some' you mean you. Shouting "Fire" in a theater gets innocents killed. A sketch of Muhammad on a donkey shown in a private exhibit got two fanatics shot dead for trying to murder unarmed cartoonists. You see some equivalency here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808
Satire, to be effective and to warrant its constitutional protections, is the ridicule of the powerful by the weak and powerless, not the other way around.
You just make this stuff up as you go along. Show me where the founding fathers laid down their definition of constitutionally protected satire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808
If these guys are so tough, why don't they rent a hall and do their "satire" show in Syria or Saudi, instead of organizing an anti-Islam event.
Why don't you tell us all about what tough is? Like your 'tough' jihadi pu$$ies who attack cartoonists? How about blowing up spectators at a marathon race? Chasing Yazidi families into the desert to their deaths? Burning caged captives alive? Kidnapping hundreds of African school girls and selling them into sex slavery? Boy that was double tough when they gunned down those Rabbis picking up their corned beef at the kosher deli. Yeah your jihadis are real tough. Come back and tell me how tough they are when the 3rd infantry division rolls up on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events