Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,914,120 times

Advertisements

I like the creativity. Wish more Judges would do that instead of throwing someone in jail which costs the taxpayers money. AND while you're walking lady, pick up trash on the side of the road too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 07:45 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,305,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't have a problem with the sentence at all. But an alternative would have been to make this woman drive a taxi cab for 30 days and live solely off of what she earns from it for that month. Maybe then she would appreciate what she did to the cabbie a bit more.
The point people seem to be missing is that this woman:

ALREADY PAID THE MONEY BACK

PLUS 3 DAYS COMMUNITY SERVICE

PLUS $50

AND IS ON 4 MONTHS PROBATION.

And why are we assuming that she makes more then the cabbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Not going to flame, just going to disagree.

I think the punishment is not at all harsh. Maybe next time she thinks about skipping out on something she owes, she'll think back to this.

MAYBE. Or maybe not. She will surely hope that next time she doesn't get a judge trying to make a name for himself.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,899,821 times
You can't have it both ways, folks. We all complain when we hear of weak judges who keep turning criminals loose to offend again. Even the cops hate the revolving door where they are not even done with the paperwork and the perp is back on the street.

This judge saved the taxpayers money, resolved the matter quickly, and taught her a lesson I bet she won't forget. We forget that there was a victim here, the cabby. Shouldn't there be some measure of justice for him ?

What she did is called theft of services, it is no different than stealing an item from a store. She is actually lucky she didn't get the time in jail.

Don

Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,583,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. This is not the 17th century. What's next? The stocks? Wearing signs around ones neck?

Oh wait...draconian judges have already done that...

My guess it that she bailed because she was POOR.

Just love seeing our country moving backwards...
LMAO you are really comparing a harmless punishment equivalent to the kinds of punishments given in the 17th century?

Would you rather he just locked her up for 30 days wasting tax payer money on her and space?

Draconian punishment, PLEASE! Draconian punishment would be forcing her to be stripped naked and put in chains in town square while having food thrown at her.

Shouldn't we be happy there are judges willing to offer alternative choices other than just to automatically lock them away?

Here's a good one from a judge: Shena Hardin, Woman Ordered To Hold 'Idiot' Sign For Passing Bus, Under Court Supervision

Are these parents draconian as well?

Teen Girl Forced By Parents to Stand on Corner and Hold ‘I Steal’ Sign
Father from the Carolinas makes daughter hold sign admitting plagiarism | myfox8.com
Indiana Mom Forces Son to Wear 'I Lie, I Steal' Sign - ABC News
Parents Force Teen To Wear Sign As Punishment For Sneaking Out, Threaten To Shave Her Head (VIDEO)

Old 05-31-2015, 01:29 AM

66 posts, read 86,141 times
Cruel and Unusual, i don't think that it's the place of a judge to sentence someone to excersize. Give her a fine but don't do that its equivalent to hard labor IMO

Old 05-31-2015, 01:45 AM

7,675 posts, read 8,762,743 times
In my opinion, since no one can say the effect on her health... the sentence could better be have her walk back from B to A (assuming she took the cab from A to B), before she could do anything else, without time limit. In other words, to make her cab trip in vain.

However, why not just ask her to pay, say, double the taxi fare to the taxi driver? That would be simpler and the driver will be happy, with no health effect on her.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:34 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,583,484 times
I wonder if those here concerned about her health would say the same if it were a man?

Old 05-31-2015, 04:44 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,409,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
Cruel and Unusual, i don't think that it's the place of a judge to sentence someone to excersize. Give her a fine but don't do that its equivalent to hard labor IMO
His intent was NOT to punish her to 'exercise' -- she rode a cab 30 miles, then jumped out and refused to pay the cabby. She basically stole the cab's service. I would have fined her the cab fee + court fees + $100 extra cash for the cabbie to make up for her nonsense and irresponsibility. Due within 24 hours to the Clerk of Court.

However, he gave her the option to walk that 30 miles that she took a cab for, then refused to pay. It is a fair punishment. Hell, I may even walk those miles instead of paying fees out the behind too. Definitely would walk it instead of being locked up for 60 days.

You got it twisted, vincent.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:46 AM

6,722 posts, read 5,971,377 times
I guess it's more merciful than Saudi Arabia where they cut off thieves' hands!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,331,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
She did and to me that makes the punishment a little harsh..

Walk 30 miles

AND

Pay $100 to the cabbie

AND

4 mos probation

That's a little steep for skipping on a cab fare IMO.

Im all for making her walk. Don't get me wrong. To me if you are going to make her pay restitution then leave off the probation or if you are going to make her pay then dont make her walk but still give her the probation.

Anyway.....I'll wait while folks flame away.
I stopped reading the remainder of the thread because this did catch my attention...no, not for the purpose to flame.

I think and this is just my opinion, that the offer she received was fair enough as she had a choice, and she chose.

Thus, it is about the lesson and not the punishment. I sincerely hope she "gets it" and makes better choices in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events