Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 02:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Well, Michael Jackson was black at some point but trying to turn white didn't seem to work out very well for him, health wise.
Vanessa Williams, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, and Shakira have all lightened their complexions and hair colors.

When Christina Aguilera wanted more hip hop fans she dyed hair hair Black and darkened her skin.

Julie Chin had surgery to make herself less Asian. Bruce Jenner is now Caitlyn Jenner. Chasity Bono turned herself into Mr. Chaz Bono.

Its worked out for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not if she claimed to be black on legal documents to gain financial benefits or hiring preferences. Then it becomes a legal matter.
Should race matter in terms of employment or financial matters? I do not think so and therefore don't care if she lied to gain these things.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
The bolding is mine. Quoting from Yahoo News, who can't seem to get the details right but does have verbatim quotes from the Today show interview:

Rachel Dolezal, the former NAACP leader at the center of a controversy surrounding her race, says the case of Caitlyn Jenner “resonated” with her.

I cried,” Dolezal said in an interview with NBC’s Savannah Guthrie that aired on the “Today” show Wednesday. “Because I resonated with some of the themes of isolation, of being misunderstood — to not know if you have a conversation with somebody, will that relationship end then because they have seen you as one way?”

Jenner, the Olympian formerly known as Bruce Jenner, made her debut on the cover of Vanity Fair earlier this month after announcing she is transgender.

Dolezal said she also related to Jenner’s story in terms of her own sexual preference.

I’m bisexual,” Dolezal said. “I’ve dated men and women, and I will intentionally ask, ‘Like, so, do you just like lesbian women? What is your spectrum?’...(Me: OMG she's going to try to grab the mantle of bravely fighting sexism and anti-gay attitudes now! What a fake!)

Dolezal filed a racial-discrimination lawsuit against Howard University, claiming that she was denied teaching posts and a scholarship — because she was white. The lawsuit was dismissed in 2004.

But Dolezal says she doesn’t see the irony.

“I definitely am not white,” Dolezal told Guthrie. “Nothing about being white describes who I am. What’s the word for it? (me: A LIAR) You know what I mean? The closest thing that I can come to is ... if you’re black or white, I’m black. I’m more black than I am white. So on a level of values, lived experience, currently, I mean, in this moment, that’s … that’s the answer. That’s the accurate answer from my truth.”

Talk about self-absorbed, talk about RACISM! She's all about being BLACK and now threw in bi, because she sees Blacks and LGBT as different, alien, and thought she could just glom onto being Black and Bi! I don't feel sorry for her at all now!
You shouldn't. She's going to get a book deal and maybe a movie deal. Clearly she did something that struck a nerve.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I should stop belaboring this, since we've all gone way off-topic. However, you missed my point entirely. Obama isn't typical of ANY person, Black, White, Asian or Hispanic. After all, there have been only 44 men since 1732 who have service the United States as President. He also is a Harvard Law Graduate and was president of the Harvard Law Review.

So, yes, Obama is not typical. However, he was always a Black man in the eyes of society and, if you read one of his books, you'd realize he struggled with his identity. In any case, if he sneaked away from his Secret Service agents, put on everyday street clothes and was walking down a city street, he would look like any other African-American man.

Anyway, I don't see your point. Are you saying people don't use racially offensive language when talking about Obama?
Obama has more in common with Clinton and Bush than he does with most Blacks. What an idiot may say in talking about him means nothing. Obama is a part of the white establishment.

What he looks like isn't the issue, it's how he lives. Ditto his wife.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
And? He's still black.

Some people seem very envious of his achievements & education.

What because he's biracial he's not supposed to live in Hawaii? Go to Indonesia? Spend time with his parents?

Sorry your post is nonsensical. And completely off topic.
Is he? Black isnt't really just used as race.
It also implies culture and class. Just listen to the stereotypes people have of blacks. And I am including the stereotypes Blacks have of other Blacks.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not sure what your issue is with this. Obama is a great speaker. I can't stand the guy and even I can admit this. Many white presidents have also been considered great speakers (and not so great speakers), as well - because they were.

Remember how Bush was frequently attacked for being not so eloquent? What's your racially-fueled response to that? He's white.

Saying Obama is articulate has nothing to do with people being shocked about that fact because he's black and therefore it's unexpected. What a ridiculous claim that is. I feel sorry you are so insecure you feel many people actually think this way. I feel sorry for you because many of your posts make ridiculous rather racist claims about whites...
Obama was the first twice Ivy league educated Black to show u in politics. His wife Michelle similarly has two Ivy League degrees. Since people normally associate the masses of Blacks with high school drop outs, surely you can see why they stand out.

I am not attacking them but Obama was certainly the first Black or mixed man with anywhere near the credentials to be President. Other prominent Blacks in politics were poorly educated ministers (Jackson, Sharpton, etc.) Obama came of age after the civil rights movement and could therefore do what he did. Ditto his wife.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:05 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,974,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Obama has more in common with Clinton and Bush than he does with most Blacks. What an idiot may say in talking about him means nothing. Obama is a part of the white establishment.

What he looks like isn't the issue, it's how he lives. Ditto his wife.
My kid goes to school with a majority AA student body.

The parents range from a judge, a treasurer at the opera, doctors, lawyers, nurses, police, firefighters, caterers, corrections officers, teachers, contractors, business owners and all in between.

Are they part of the white establishment? Because they're educated professional people, are they acting white?

No, they aren't to answer my own question. They live middle class lives like everyone else. They represent a large majority of the black population. How they live is just like how the majority of Americans live.

How 'most blacks" live.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 696,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
He technical still employed
He isnt on the air, and he's known as a fool

Old 06-18-2015, 09:37 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,975,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Actually, this white woman isn't thinking like that at all.

This particular white woman has four biracial kids and is very attune to the whole "non privileged white lady" thing. I know that one doesn't have to "become black" in order to relate to, or understand, or empathize with the very real struggles of many African Americans (and many underprivileged folks in general) in the US today.

I have four beautiful biracial kids, and one of them is dark enough in skin tone to basically categorize herself as African American - not because she doesn't feel biracial, but because she's tired of fighting society's insistence that she is indeed, AFRICAN AMERICAN. "Alright already - if that's what you insist on, that's what I am, but I'm not your mother's African American." That's sort of her attitude. Anyway, my other three kids look more mixed race and have all sorts of interesting stories they can tell you, starting with my oldest daughter, who was asked by her career counselor in high school "Just what, exactly, are you?" (those were her exact words) My daughter answered, "Human, but I'm assuming you mean racially, right? Do I get more scholarship money if I claim to be black?" Her counselor said, "Well, basically yes - there are more opportunities for you to qualify for more scholarships if you designate yourself as African American." My daughter leaned back in her chair, grinned widely and said, "Well then - I'M BLACK."

I could go on and on, but you get my drift - being African American is GREAT when it's convenient, and not so great when it's not convenient. Just ask my kids.

This Rachel D woman capitalized on all that can be gained by being African American, but at the end of the day she could wash her face, and take off her wig, and be white if being AA became too much of a hindrance to her agenda.

She's a disgrace.
100% correct, Kathryn. As always.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
My kid goes to school with a majority AA student body.

The parents range from a judge, a treasurer at the opera, doctors, lawyers, nurses, police, firefighters, caterers, corrections officers, teachers, contractors, business owners and all in between.

Are they part of the white establishment? Because they're educated professional people, are they acting white?

No, they aren't to answer my own question. They live middle class lives like everyone else. They represent a large majority of the black population. How they live is just like how the majority of Americans live.

How 'most blacks" live.
At the high end of the professional world you statistically have very few Blacks. It's a whole different world. So I stand by my comments, there isn't much difference between Obama and the clintons.

Many of the jobs you mentioned are working class and of course you have many Blacks doing them. But I doubt the Obama girls attend an AA majority school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events