Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
But...but...whites say there is NO SUCH THING as "white privilege".

White privilege is a figment of black people's imaginations.
See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Uh, oh, I think eating at an Ethiopian restaurant invokes the one-drop rule. You're not white anymore, sorry. ; )

But hey, I heard there's an opening at the NAACP.
Very funny.

But there was a book written during the 1961 called Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin. He had himself made to look "black" in order to document the experiences black people face (link to article on book). Excerpts from article on book:
Fifty years ago this month, Griffin published a slim volume about his travels as a “black man.” He expected it to be “an obscure work of interest primarily to sociologists,” but Black Like Me, which told white Americans what they had long refused to believe, sold ten million copies and became a modern classic.

Black Like Me disabused the idea that minorities were acting out of paranoia,” says Gerald Early, a black scholar at Washington University and editor of Lure and Loathing: Essays on Race, Identity, and the Ambivalence of Assimilation. “There was this idea that black people said certain things about racism, and one rather expected them to say these things. Griffin revealed that what they were saying was true. It took someone from outside coming in to do that. And what he went through gave the book a remarkable sincerity.”

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Would this be considered a non-fraudulent version of what this phony did? I remember reading it during Spring 1969 and having what we would now call a bully (entirely verbal though until I beat him up two years later) make fun of me for reading it. He walked around Quaker Ridge School saying "black like you" and having other kids say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Uh, oh, I think eating at an Ethiopian restaurant invokes the one-drop rule. You're not white anymore, sorry. ; )
As for the Ethiopian restaurant, a funny story. My older son is adventurous in food, as I am. He always tries the ethnic foods I often bring home. My younger son, on the high end of the autism spectrum, is a picky eater (common to that syndrome). One time when he was about 10 I came back from Port Chester with a takeout restaurant bag. He said "Daddy, what kind of Hispanic food do you have today?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So many people today have mixed ancestry and I don't know why it matters.
Mixed ancestry has started to matter only very recently. Earlier than the 90s, "biracial" or "mixed" meant nothing in American society except that you weren't white.

It doesn't mean much today, either, when you're pulled over by the police. It really only matter for getting on television.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
But the NAACP is a public organization and they know there are many in the Black community who simply won't accept her simply because she is White. After the MSM "drive-by" which exposed her, she had to go. Thus they asked her to fall on the sword. To Ms. Dolezal's credit, this exactly what she did. And apparently she did it to protect the NAACP.

That is rubbish.

The NAACP has, from the first day of its inception, had important members who were white.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
The author's experience in Black Like Me is in no way comparable to what Dolezal did. One was a short-term "experiment," the other was fraud with some mental illness thrown in for good measure.

Her recent media appearances aren't doing much to help, either. Plus, while making the rounds, she also met with a couple of reality show producers. If that comes to fruition, it'll probably be the closest to reality she's ever come.

Last edited by Delahanty; 06-17-2015 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The author's experience in Black Like Me is in no way comparable to what Dolezal did. One was a short-term "experiment," the other was fraud with some mental illness thrown in for good measure.
There was a woman who did the same thing later in the 70s. Grace Halsell used a drug to turn her skin black, then spent six months in Harlem and six months in her own Alabama home town as a black woman. She wrote "Soul Sister" based on her feminine experiences. She later died from complications of the drug she used.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:13 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Instead of an interview with Matt Lauer, I'd like to see Dr Phil have this woman for about a week.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
I agree. I wonder if the bigger issue here is white outrage? Whites thinking WHY WHY WHY would a white woman want to be black????

Why would she want to give up white privilege?

Why would anyone CHOOSE to be black?!?!?!?!?!
If there's white outrage, rather than mockery, maybe it's because she flopped as a white woman so took advantage of the easy route of victimhood and professional advancement as a black woman

Old 06-17-2015, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Her recent media appearances aren't doung much to help, either. Plus, while making the rounds, she also met with a couple of reality show producers. If that comes to fruition, it'll probably be the closest to reality she's ever come.
Oh goody! Maybe they will make her live in a teepee in the South African bush, and be beaten with baboon whips on a daily basis, and see how long she can manage to keep wearing those wigs under those conditions. Also...burning question...how long can her fake tan stand up under pressure?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 AM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
This just keeps getting more interesting, in a horrible way. Her brother has been charged with molesting one of the stepkids 13 or 14 years ago. Her parents think she coached her/him (now grown or in late teens) into believing this and filing charges. If you read any of the supposed charges, you'd not be surprised because it sounds similar to her other lies. Considering she has made up charges of being abused herself as a child, and all the fake hate crimes, this would not be a surprise if she lied. This is one of the terrible things about liars running around, lying: It's the girl who cried wolf, who muddies the waters about what may or may not have happened, because she has lied so much and so crazily and determinedly in the past and right up to the present day.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If the police officer who hauls you out of your car thinks you're black, then you're black.
This might sound really naïve, but that sort of thing has never happened where I live. Reading about it is like reading about barbarians that have a mental disorder - what almost seems like a socially condoned mental disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events