Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's anyone who can trace his ancestry to persons imported as slaves to the areas that became the United States and Canada. They tend to share a common mainland Anglo-influenced experience that's different from other groups and formative of current culture and identity.

And, btw, Barack Obama is not African-American by that particular definition.

Eventually, it will become meaningless, but that won't happen until the last generation raised under Jim Crow has died off--the Boomer Generation.

Or...we can just blame "African-American" on Obama like everything else.
Hey, all I can say is that I'm a Boomer and I've more than done my part to change attitudes and behaviors about race in this country. I'm sick of having to ***** foot around everyone's hypersensitivity, frankly. Not saying that you're part of the problem at all - just venting.

In the words of a famous or infamous African American - "Can't we all just get along?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
BUMP

Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Many African countries have numerous "ethnic groups" with clearly defined differences in language and culture, mutually exclusive, sometimes in conflict, and pretty much all black. This hardly reflects the modern concept of multiculturalism.
What is your idea of the "modern concept of multiculturalism"? It looks like you may have invented your own definition..

Old 06-12-2015, 11:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,010,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
However here is how it matters.
The racist program of Affirmative Action which decides who gets hired, promoted, even admitted to college is predicated on giving preferential treatment to less qualified/educated minorities, based on race or gender (i.e. the box you check off).
So when people like Elisabeth "Pocahontas" Warren lie to get preferential treatment, it not only speaks to their lack of character, but it also shows how people will try to circumvent policies they themselves created or support.
Another words it exposes them as hypocrites as well.

I, as someone who vehemently opposes AA would have more of a right to try and circumvent a policy that unfairly discriminates against a white man, than someone like Warren (and presumably this "civil rights leader") who wants it for everyone else, but feels they are above their own rules.

--

On a side note, I actually was friends with a white guy who was rejected several times (as was I) for getting hired on the department. We both were over qualified and scoring in the mid 90's on the civil service exam.
Yet they were hiring every black, brown and woman that applied. This was even the case for those who couldn't pass the written or physical tests.
He decided to apply one more time, but this time as a Hispanic/Latin, and he legally changed his name so he would have ID to show.
Sure enough we both took the exam again, and for whatever reason he scored lower this time (maybe the transition to Hispanic affected him).
Anyway I again scored in the mid 90's and was rejected. But my friend who scored lower than usual was snatched up. He has since gone on to get plenty of promotions and has done a great job. However he never would have been hired had it not been for the racist and discriminatory program of AA.

`
I know someone who married into my family, a more distant cousin we see maybe once a year, who apparently (according to her) is Puerto Rican. She's as white as my Irish and German-American mother, and actually blonde - which my mother is not. She has an English-sounding name. But apparently her mother is Puerto Rican. Because she claimed she is Hispanic, she is currently enrolled in a doctoral program for paleontology for free at a university out West (wish I could remember where - again, we don't see them much). She told us last time we saw her in January, without any shame, that because she checked off "Hispanic" or whatever the hell it is, she got a free ride into this program. Then proceeded to praise affirmative action programs. I was stunned because she's whiter than I am - half Italian, quarter Irish, quarter German-American me. I'm not even sure I believe that she is part Puerto Rican. I know - Puerto Ricans can be white because of colonization - but when you think Puerto Rican, or Hispanic, do you not think of certain characteristics? Certain cultural attributes? I know I do. And she doesn't fit them even slightly.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:34 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,101 times
Default The NAACP has released a statement

Well just what I thought. It looks like the people with the biggest problem with Rachel Dolezal are the type of people she is fighting against!!

The NAACP has released this statement, saying it is standing by NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal:

Quote:
Baltimore, MD – For 106 years, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has held a long and proud tradition of receiving support from people of all faiths, races, colors and creeds. NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal is enduring a legal issue with her family, and we respect her privacy in this matter. One’s racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership. The NAACP Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Conference stands behind Ms. Dolezal’s advocacy record. In every corner of this country, the NAACP remains committed to securing political, educational, and economic justice for all people, and we encourage Americans of all stripes to become members and serve as leaders in our organization.

Hate language sent through mail and social media along with credible threats continue to be a serious issue for our units in the Pacific Northwest and across the nation. We take all threats seriously and encourage the FBI and the Department of Justice to fully investigate each occurrence.
Spokane NAACP Leader’s Parents Say She Is White, Group Stands By Her | News One

Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM

40,955 posts, read 49,248,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Well just what I thought. It looks like the people with the biggest problem with Rachel Dolezal are the type of people she is fighting against!!
No matter what you think, it's not about race. It's all about the lies.

That's a popular way to get what you want today. In the real working world, she'd be out the door before the day was over.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:38 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,010,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post

The NAACP has released this statement, saying it is standing by NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal:

Spokane NAACP Leader’s Parents Say She Is White, Group Stands By Her | News One
Good for them. It's what they should do. But as others have said, the "people she is fighting against" (aka whites, I assume you mean) have a problem with her, primarily, not because she is pretending to not be white but because she is lying, creating embellished stories that are obviously lies about her past. Pretending to be black (or whatever) in appearance is one thing, lying and creating all these stories, creating a whole new identity from your imagination and using it against a group of people is another. It's a mental illness. She has a problem.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
I have no issue with the NAACP and I applaud their non racist perspective of this issue.

My problem is with a so called professional who has built her persona and her "life experiences" - which often do enhance careers because they tend to enhance a person's credibility in certain fields - on a pack of lies. She is a bold faced liar, and honestly, she seems to need some professional help psychologically, as most pathological liars do.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, all I can say is that I'm a Boomer and I've more than done my part to change attitudes and behaviors about race in this country. I'm sick of having to ***** foot around everyone's hypersensitivity, frankly. Not saying that you're part of the problem at all - just venting.
The vast majority of us Boomers were raised in segregation and in a society that taught segregation as proper and right in a variety of subtle and not-so-subtle ways. In both the North and the South, segregation was the norm, not the exception. On television, up into latter 60s you could count the number of regular blacks in any season on your ring fingers (we saw blacks regularly on Twilight Zone...but that was, of course, science fiction).

Older boomers never sat in a classroom with blacks, and even younger Boomers may not have during elementary school. Remember that integration didn't happen in a Big Bang in 1964. In Oklahoma, it was in the 7th grade before I sat in an integrated classroom, and it was 1969 before I even sat in an integrated civilian movie theater (specifically, July 20, 1969 was the last time I sat in a segregated civilian movie theater--the military theaters I went to on post were integrated).

As the saying goes, "As the sapling is bent, so grows the tree." And as well the Proverb, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."

I thought for a long time that the Boomer generation would the transformative generation, but I've learned in the last six years that the Proverb is predominantly true. Only exceptional people ever break away from their childhood indoctrination.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:44 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,567,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Didn't say they didn't, but Obama perfected the lie to get Ocare passed.

"I didn't have sex with that woman" was also a good one.

Lying to fit your agenda seems to becoming the norm.
How do you have 20k Rep points with such a lopsided View of our Government
Call it both ways are you just look bad. George lying about weapons of mass destruction will always be the biggest lie ever told to the American People. George set the Standard, Obama just followed the Blue Print
Now back on Topic!
She's kinda Hot, i would hit it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events