Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 AM

78,480 posts, read 60,679,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not speaking out anymore for fear they will be next.

He called her fat. She should have just turned around and called him ugly and to mind his own business.
Instead she headed to the car for a crowbar while her son duked it out with him.
"fighting words" is a viable legal defense for beating up somebody.

If I'm on the jury (if they even bring charges) I'd find the kid not guilty. Now if she'd been wearing a Hillary campaign button and he said "I don't like Hillary" then no...those aren't fighting words.

Also, it's not "anymore" as if this is some sort of new curtailment of "speaking out" .

Calling someones mom "fat" while they are standing there has been a universal request for a punch in the face since forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the natural consequences of that speech.

When you take it upon yourself to gratuitously insult a total stranger, you are voluntarily assuming the risk that that stranger may not be a peaceful sort. (After all, you literally know nothing about the person.)

Was it wrong for the son to give the guy a beat-down? Yes. But NOTHING would have happened if Mr. Rude Jerk had kept his fool mouth shut in the first place.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Maybe he'll understand now that good manners were invented for a reason.
Isn't that what people said about bikini girl at the Texas pool party ?
And they got bashed for even thinking it.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,900,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
Its interesting how the fat people here are defending themselves. ROLLS OF FAT ARE UGLY. They should be ticketed and fined for being public eyesores.
Yes but there are many other types of ugliness. I'm not fat and think obesity is unhealthy but why would someone go up to someone and say these things? I don't think he should have gotten beaten either.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:00 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,179,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Isn't that what people said about bikini girl at the Texas pool party ?
And they got bashed for even thinking it.
One's a civilian. One's a cop. There's a somewhat different level of expectation and accountability.

C'mon, now.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times
Good for them. Sometimes manners need to be beaten into a person.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:26 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
And that's why being fat is worse than being ugly, or extremely short or tall, or deformed, or something like that, because you are born like that and can't control those things, but you can control fat. If you're fat it's your own fault.
Not in every case. Some people have to take steroids for extreme asthma. These will cause weight gain and bloating. There are hormonal and thyroid problems, there are mental conditions that contribute to obesity ( especially the extreme variety ) and then there is marketing and ignorance.

Many people simply do not know how to cook from scratch anymore. They don't know how to make a vegetable taste good. Meanwhile, the corporations have spent millions telling us that those empty carbs you just ate for breakfast are healthy because they are fat free.

Nevermind that your blood sugar just shot up and will crash in an hour or so due to the lack of protein and fat in that meal comprised of simple carbs. Go ahead and eat that "balanced breakfast" of Special K, with skim milk, un buttered toast and orange juice. Get back to me in a month with your A1C readings, and how much you now hate life.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,583 times
I do think a crowbar was an excessive response, but, maybe people should learn to keep their comments to themselves.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,188,103 times
There's inherent and supported shaming associated with being a smoker, a drunk, a drug addict. Why not being obese? You have to make a choice every day to be obese.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:25 PM

10,363 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
There's inherent and supported shaming associated with being a smoker, a drunk, a drug addict. Why not being obese? You have to make a choice every day to be obese.
Perhaps because people with manners do NOT in fact make public comments shaming individual smokers or drinkers? (And if they have even a smidgen of self-preservation, they don't openly confront drug addicts either. Personally I stay out of the way of people who are openly engaging in an illegal activity, as they are likely to be dangerous. Let the cops handle them.)

Poor manners may be rampant today, but that does not mean they are not poor manners. If you publicly shame a stranger who is smoking, drinking, or even taking other intoxicants and who is otherwise not causing a problem, you are a rude boor - and if that person does decide to teach you a painful lesson, I'm not going to feel the least bit sorry for you. You had it coming.

Ditto with people who offer unsolicited comments on other people's fashion sense, music preferences, choices in leisure activities, etc. As long as no laws are being violated, none of those personal choices are any of your damned business!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Perhaps because people with manners do NOT in fact make public comments shaming individual smokers or drinkers? (And if they have even a smidgen of self-preservation, they don't openly confront drug addicts either. Personally I stay out of the way of people who are openly engaging in an illegal activity, as they are likely to be dangerous. Let the cops handle them.)

Poor manners may be rampant today, but that does not mean they are not poor manners. If you publicly shame a stranger who is smoking, drinking, or even taking other intoxicants and who is otherwise not causing a problem, you are a rude boor - and if that person does decide to teach you a painful lesson, I'm not going to feel the least bit sorry for you. You had it coming.

Ditto with people who offer unsolicited comments on other people's fashion sense, music preferences, choices in leisure activities, etc. As long as no laws are being violated, none of those personal choices are any of your damned business!

Yep. That's about the way I see it. I mean, I don't necessarily condone the guy getting punched in the head, but I don't have too much sympathy for him either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events