Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:13 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,192,215 times

Advertisements

****. The last time I had surgery, I was anxious of this - and if the doctors talk about me while I'm unconscious ? Damn, if they're real doctors who care for the people they treat, they shouldn't do things like that, it's gratuitous and mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
$500k for some insults he probably didn't hear when they were being said? That's ridiculous. Someone has to pay that $500k, you know. I'll admit, that was mean spirited of her, and she should be disciplined.

If something negative to his health had arisen because of those comments, then the award would be more understandable.
Understand, the fine is a penalty to the doctor, not a grant to the "injured". In order for a fine to work, to teach the lesson, it has to hurt. What the guy heard -- maybe is worth 10K, but 10K won't teach that idiot doctor a lesson.

Liken it to this -- run a stop sign? Used to be 35 bucks. I could pay 35 bucks easy peasy. That's not a lesson at all. Now -- a run stop sign is like 400 bucks-- or more depending on where you are because they are adding all sorts of costs. Guess what? I stop at stop signs. Completely.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Understand, the fine is a penalty to the doctor, not a grant to the "injured". In order for a fine to work, to teach the lesson, it has to hurt. What the guy heard -- maybe is worth 10K, but 10K won't teach that idiot doctor a lesson.

Liken it to this -- run a stop sign? Used to be 35 bucks. I could pay 35 bucks easy peasy. That's not a lesson at all. Now -- a run stop sign is like 400 bucks-- or more depending on where you are because they are adding all sorts of costs. Guess what? I stop at stop signs. Completely.
There's something called "the punishment fits the crime". Humans aren't perfect. We do things wrong. It's wrong to punish minor crimes with severe penalties. Or, in this case, I don't think a doctor insulting a patient is even a crime. Yes, insulting people is wrong, but I don't think it's been codified as a law. And if it is, this is something that it's worth severely punishing someone for. It seems anyone can get anyone in trouble nowadays. Yes, we could deter almost everything that's "wrong", but at a severe cost to freedom. At some point there has to be a balance.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:14 PM

138 posts, read 129,762 times
I'm glad for the decision. I hope it sends a message to all doctors and hospitals. I also hope that people going in for surgery start asking to have it recorded (at least with audio). It wouldn't surprise me if that starts happening after this.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
He should have received more.
Why? I think that is a pretty crazy amount for such a thing. Was she unprofessional? Of course, but talk is talk. It isn't like she stabbed him. I think the amounts of lawsuits are stupid, but whatever. We have more attorneys than any other country, so we are going to have every ambulance chaser around tripping over themselves to get a piece of any pie they can get.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:56 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Where was the phone hidden? Will they now frisk every patient before a procedure? We should all have the right to not be made fun of, while in the hands of professionals in our most vulnerable state. I want a medical team that cares, not those who are heartless comedian wannabes. I'm glad he won.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Will never understand the connection between suing someone for that much money and justice.
It's not about justice, it's about teaching some jerk a lesson. And rightfully so.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
This is the way my Brothers Wife is . . . She is a nurse and a nursing teacher, and has non-stop yukkity yukks talking about all of her patients with her nurse friends. "Dicky Do's", "fat" and all kinds of other disparaging remarks about people all the time. A real nasty individual. I think doctors and nurses just think of people like a cut of meat after a while, then comes the next phase where they just say bad stuff about humanity, endlessly. They all do it, this one got caught. Maybe doctors will need body cams now~lols

Old 06-26-2015, 02:41 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why? I think that is a pretty crazy amount for such a thing. Was she unprofessional? Of course, but talk is talk. It isn't like she stabbed him. I think the amounts of lawsuits are stupid, but whatever. We have more attorneys than any other country, so we are going to have every ambulance chaser around tripping over themselves to get a piece of any pie they can get.
No, she openly said she was going to falsify his records. That is malpractice, a crime.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:25 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I wish doctors and nurses were perfect people. They aren't and neither are the rest of us. They do, however, choose to help you and me every single day of their working life.

Guess who pays the awards for these ridiculous lawsuits? Patients and policy holders.

This lawsuit award sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events