Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I had friend who lived there. He's a Filipino.

He moved to Berlin after a year cos it is so boring. yes, the place is perfect and all that but other than that, its boring.

He likes USA much!
Im an outdoor/nature guy, so Id never be bored exploring and hiking and just sitting there taking in the scenery all day. Seriously.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
We've considered it and are considering it. We are not in the 18-34 age bracket, and we are not Conservative. I can work from anywhere and we have family in Europe. My brother is an ex-pat in Germany. At this point, we'll stay here for at least another six years, as our children are teens/preteens and we would not pack up and leave with them at this stage of their lives.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:48 AM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Land of the free ... to move to another country? A recent poll of 2,000 adults concluded that 35% of Americans would consider quitting the US and living abroad. That number jumps to 55% in the 18 to 34 demographic, per the poll by Transferwise, a UK-based money transfer service.

Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate

Bye Bye!!! I hope that works out for you

Old 11-06-2015, 01:26 PM

209 posts, read 304,459 times
The South of Brazil is open to immigration, is the best part. You would rapidly integrate and transform the region. Also is European majority and pretty conservative (and the people like that).

Old 11-09-2015, 04:00 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
We've considered it and are considering it. We are not in the 18-34 age bracket, and we are not Conservative. I can work from anywhere and we have family in Europe. My brother is an ex-pat in Germany. At this point, we'll stay here for at least another six years, as our children are teens/preteens and we would not pack up and leave with them at this stage of their lives.
Yeah had a few good friends and neighbors in exactly this situation who eventually made the move from USA to Europe. From talking to them, sounds like a big key to it was the free university tuition and college education that European countries offer strong American students, especially in Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, Belgium and Switzerland. (Though one went to France and a couple others to Mediterranean countries where IIRC university is either free or very low-cost.) It was a massive win-win for the families, since their kids could basically get education for free or nearly for free, while the parents could relocate to Europe and take advantage of high quality of life there. And this isn't trivial-- that recent report by that Nobel economist has been circulating around lately showing American whites having a crippling death rate and mortality crisis over past 15 years or so) (a lot like post USSR Russia did) whereas Europeans continue to gain health and life expectancy (doesn't hurt to have 6 weeks vacation and not worry about going bankrupt from divorce or hospital bills). Even if they lose thier jobs they don't go broke from medical bill costs or student loans. And when I see them today, they have better health and more solid finances to boot.

On practical level, my neighbor's kids took language courses in German (which is sort-of a must Europe-wide due to the economic center) and sometimes something like French, Dutch, Spanish or Swedish on top-- it wasn't a burden, apparently once you get the first language down the others are easier. (Unfortunately Britain also has very expensive universities so not such a good option.) The kids did well in school and were able to qualify for European university training, which is indeed competitive. The parents sought out contacts and forums for Americans abroad, then when their kids were ready for university, they made the move. Though I think some of them started out in countries like Lithuania or Romania to get residence (easier to get visas there) then moved on to the main European countries through Schengen freedom of movement principles. Just a step wise process.

Last edited by Corascant; 11-09-2015 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
I would leave. This country is committing slow suicide.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:17 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Likely the same 1/3rd who don't have passports and have never even been outside the country.
(I say that with the perspective of an immigrant, now citizen, who lived in a number of countries before coming here).

And on that subject, there are, literally, millions of people around the world who would certainly swap their citizenship for a USA citizenship. Perhaps the government can set up a swap meet? Then you'll fund how many are just talking out of their a$$.
Not true. I know a few Americans who have moved out of the US. Some moved to Latin America and some to Europe. I would only consider Northern Europe or Canada. I like that they still have a single identifiable culture. It's not all crazy like the US--can't do this, can't do that, supposed to do that but only if or when, or you're supposed to do this now. It's just nuts here and criminals are everywhere.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Originally Posted by Jay 100
Quote:
It's just nuts here and criminals are everywhere.
On top of that... is a totally corrupt, thieving, government!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
can't do this, can't do that, supposed to do that but only if or when, or you're supposed to do this now.
What specifically are you referring to?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:04 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times
I think the moral of the problem is that we need to address the problems at home instead of running towards/away to somewhere else. We needed to reform our government after the G.W. Bush years. In my opinion he set the precedent towards strong-arm partisan politics and now we have a two party system trying to out partisan the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events