Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And just where would "here" be or can't you say?

Maybe the place is called #whereIamsucks ?

Umm no need to be nasty, but whatever- my location states Bundaberg QLD-not real hard to spot-(must be that awesome "murican education system again). It doesn;t suck, since it's not in 'murica. Jealous much? . I think you'd best stay in #Americasucks

Old 11-16-2015, 05:24 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
And once again, the US healthcare system ranks dead last among developed countries, consistently year after year, a very embarrassing result for a place that considers itself first world, let alone supposedly a leader among such countries.
And the first sentence in the article~"New York, NY, June 16, 2014—Despite having the most expensive health care system, the United States ranks last" !

The analysis by the Commonwealth Fund published Monday ranked the United Kingdom first overall, even though its per-capita health spending is less than half that of the U.S.
U.S. healthcare ranks last among 11 developed nations, report says - LA Times

Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
And the first sentence in the article~"New York, NY, June 16, 2014—Despite having the most expensive health care system, the United States ranks last" !

The analysis by the Commonwealth Fund published Monday ranked the United Kingdom first overall, even though its per-capita health spending is less than half that of the U.S.
U.S. healthcare ranks last among 11 developed nations, report says - LA Times

Let's take a closer look at that study.

The US ranked #3 in Effective Care. #4 in Patient Centered Care. The bulk of the negative scores for US Care were related to costs and what the study considered to be "equitable" care.

Among low scores include Canada's overall score of 10th place overall, Norway and Sweden's abysmal scores when it comes to safe and effective care, Canada and France's dead bottom scores when it comes to timeliness of care, and New Zealand's low feeder score on equity of care (the Netherlands and France didn't do well in that category either).

I hate to put too fine a point on it, but the US scores on "healthy lives" are greatly reduced by the unhealthy lifestyles and/or particular healthy challenges of many minorities in the US. None of the other countries in that list have the percentage of minorities in their countries, and unfortunately that brings down the US scores significantly. The diversity of the US compared to these other countries brings with it more challenges than the other countries face.

This very pertinent fact is NEVER addressed in these sorts of studies.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
And just where would "here" be or can't you say?

Maybe the place is called #whereIamsucks ?
He lives in Australia, it says right there next to his location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Again I say, if they want to leave bye bye and good luck with that. Hope it works out for them
What's with the smacking your head icon? What do you care if someone wants to live in a different country?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

What's with the smacking your head icon? What do you care if someone wants to live in a different country?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

I say this very sincerely - I really do hope that all those who don't want to live in the US put their money where their mouth is and leave.

So I don't understand that post you responded to either.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I say this very sincerely - I really do hope that all those who don't want to live in the US put their money where their mouth is and leave.

So I don't understand that post you responded to either.
It's not something one can do overnight.
Go read some expat forums.
There's lots of folks asking how to emigrate there.

It took over a year for my brother to get his Irish passport and that's with dual citizenship by birth, the easiest route to go.

It's a long process and different depending on whether you want to retire there or live/work/raise a family there.

Sure the numbers of expats is small but there are no poor among them.
What you have is a slow trickle of money/wealth/education LEAVING the US and a
high flood of poverty/no skill/little education ENTERING the US.

I'd say the ones that have the best shot are college students with good grades.
Most any country wants them and usually let's them stay after graduation.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,583,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

It took over a year for my brother to get his Irish passport and that's with dual citizenship by birth, the easiest route to go.

It's a long process and different depending on whether you want to retire there or live/work/raise a family there.

And in most cases, the cost of living is not as high as the U.S. (not speaking about Europe).
I've met many Americans and other foreigners abroad who love their new country and wouldn't return to their homeland. Most are not wealthy, but well to do, and just contribute to their new society and live peacefully.
BUT Don't go if you are not willing to speak another language where you're relocating to and expect people to do things the way the U.S. does.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Yeah this is my experience too, a steadily rising brain drain of educated, motivated, entrepreneurial people leaving the US for good. It's entrepreneurial, creative, professional people who are hit hardest by the USA's corrupt, idiotic healthcare system (and also they who realize just how predatory it is), since the health insurance parasites make it difficult for them to get good coverage and contend with outrageous medical bills. Result? It's the innovators and entrepreneurs, the best and brightest, who are the most likely to leave the US for one of dozens of solid options abroad where they never have to worry about going bankrupt due medical bills for having their appendix removed or getting a sports injury. (And i mean never-- whatever their other flaws, all European countries make sure nobody goes bankrupt from medical bills, even the struggling PIIGS countries in Mediterranean and Britain, hit with economic hardship, make sure that people get the critical medical care they need and nobody ever goes bankrupt from an outrageous medical bill, as millions do yearly in the United States).

This is the way a once great country destroys itself with the corrupt predatory interests that take control of its system-- especially healthcare, which should never be in profit-driven private hands for basic care-- and the United States its doing it right now, as we speak.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let's take a closer look at that study.

The US ranked #3 in Effective Care. #4 in Patient Centered Care. The bulk of the negative scores for US Care were related to costs and what the study considered to be "equitable" care.

Among low scores include Canada's overall score of 10th place overall, Norway and Sweden's abysmal scores when it comes to safe and effective care, Canada and France's dead bottom scores when it comes to timeliness of care, and New Zealand's low feeder score on equity of care (the Netherlands and France didn't do well in that category either).

I hate to put too fine a point on it, but the US scores on "healthy lives" are greatly reduced by the unhealthy lifestyles and/or particular healthy challenges of many minorities in the US. None of the other countries in that list have the percentage of minorities in their countries, and unfortunately that brings down the US scores significantly. The diversity of the US compared to these other countries brings with it more challenges than the other countries face.

This very pertinent fact is NEVER addressed in these sorts of studies.
Not exactly correct?

7 facts about world migration | Pew Research Center

Immigration and Ethnocultural Diversity in Canada

19.1 % of Canadian population is of visible minorities as of 2011

Further: your immigration is predominantly from just ONE source. Breaking that source into sub-categories aids in improving diversity quotient but only to a par with Canada.
Political Calculations: U.S. vs Canada: Comparing Oranges and Apples

Largest U.S. Immigrant Groups over Time, 1960-Present | migrationpolicy.org

In short; using the diversity quotient of the U.S. to explain some anomaly in healthcare stats is reaching, as the U.S. diversity rate as compared to others is not of a notably greater variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events