Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,621,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You are caught in a terrible bind. After justifying abortion as nothing more than vacuuming a blob, now we are told how valuable the “fetus” is and we should be very careful where we put the knife. How can politics blind someone to this degree? More than anything else this episode puts an end to the myth that what is being aborted is an Amoeba.
That's like saying that taking care with a donated heart is akin to admitting that corpses are alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 12:42 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,368,934 times
Another doctored videotape designed to bring wrath upon political opponents. When are people going to stop believing this stuff?

Lila Rose and Live Action have another Planned Parenthood sting. Yet again, it's completely misleading.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 AM

22,012 posts, read 25,354,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You are caught in a terrible bind. After justifying abortion as nothing more than vacuuming a blob, now we are told how valuable the “fetus” is and we should be very careful where we put the knife. How can politics blind someone to this degree? More than anything else this episode puts an end to the myth that what is being aborted is an Amoeba.
Same way I'm an organ donor. You take something that isn't of much value, in that case my lifeless corpse, and hopefully it will be of value to someone. Maybe my corneas will still be good, for example, or my heart, liver, kidneys, lungs. I'd certainly hope they'd be organ harvesters would be hopeful where they stuck the knife such as not to destroy things of value for no reason.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:34 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,776,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no abortion isn't wrong. do you prefer women be forced to give birth?
Well if you are so far along in the pregnancy that the dead baby has viable organs, even if you have an abortion you'll be giving birth, just to a baby that was killed on its way out. At that point unless there is a medical reason you might as well just let it go those last few inches and put it up for adoption. Ahh but you might see the baby and fall in love, and that would be hard. Better off just choosing to crush its skull.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM

12,158 posts, read 8,543,986 times
I have a problem with the concept of women being "forced" to give birth. Where's the principle of personal responsibility?

In most cases (not all) she made a decision to perform an act which she knew could result in a pregnancy and now, after natural consequences have occurred, someone is "forcing" her?

Choices can be made, yes. That is not the issue. The issue is using this excuse to imply her pregnancy is no responsibility of her own, that somehow she is a victim of her own biology and society in all this.

It's difficult for me to see this attitude as anything else than "I want to have sex any way I want without having to recognize that there may be consequences to my choice." And that seems unrealistic and irresponsible to me.

I hear so much about research but am not aware of results. Can anyone list the medical advances that have occurred because of the use of abortion tissue?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 AM

The justness of abortion is really a separate topic. Everyone already knew that Planned Parenthood had involvement with abortion. The news, such as it is, is that doctors are okay with using deceased remains for medical research, which is also not actually news. I guess the news is that abortions leave remains? I don't know.

As for benefits, medical advances include treatments for Parkinson's, Jonas Salk's Polio vaccine, and transplant research. Fetal tissue has unique properties that make it valuable for donation.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:39 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,776,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
The justness of abortion is really a separate topic. Everyone already knew that Planned Parenthood had involvement with abortion. The news, such as it is, is that doctors are okay with using deceased remains for medical research, which is also not actually news. I guess the news is that abortions leave remains? I don't know.

As for benefits, medical advances include treatments for Parkinson's, Jonas Salk's Polio vaccine, and transplant research. Fetal tissue has unique properties that make it valuable for donation.
For me the news is that partial birth abortions are so common that there's a cottage industry in the sale of organs from them. I had been under the impression that these barbaric procedures were exceedingly rare and only done in the most dire of circumstances. For others the issue may be something else though.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:35 AM

1.2% of abortions are performed after week 20. I believe that would be about 10 thousand per year? I'm not sure what you mean by cottage industry, as that implies organs are being sold for profit, which is a complete fabrication.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:04 AM

21,528 posts, read 10,651,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well yes abortion is wrong in terms of bad choices. One should not bring a potential person into existence unless it is to be born and loved. I would fault the conservatives in that they want the kid born but want to dump the loved part. That would mean we as a society if we insist the kid be born would also insist the child be well provided for. We won't do that.

That it is a matter for the state however is a different argument. A wrong choice yes...a matter for the state no. We need to let people deal with their bad choices. Particularly if we are not really willing to intervene. The decision by the state that a child must be born should include a provision that the child will be well provided for.

A great area for the state to stay out of...
You act as though when someone decides not to have an abortion, they automatically hate the child after it's born. That's not the case most of the time. I have known several people who contemplated abortion only to change their minds, and went on to love their child very much. It's easy to not feel love for the unknown; much harder to hate your own child once it's born.

I wouldn't want to outlaw early abortions, but 24 week fetuses? That is barbaric in my opinion. The only justification would be if the mother's life would be endangered. I used to think that was the only reason they performed late term abortions, but after the doctor in Philadelphia was tried, I realized it's not as uncommon as I had thought. That doctor even lied to one woman and told her she wasnt as far along as she was and let her stew on it a couple of weeks before deciding on the procedure. She thought she was within 20 weeks when she was actually 24 weeks. You just know that guy was probably making money off the organs, even though as far as I know it wasn't mentioned.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You just know that guy was probably making money off the organs, even though as far as I know it wasn't mentioned.
I think it was confirmed he was disposing of remains. Nobody anywhere has ever demonstrated anyone making money off of fetal organs as far as I know, beyond the completely legal and moral expense-reimbursement payments aforementioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events