Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 PM

18,477 posts, read 19,127,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That you want to split hairs to justify who can be killed and who can't is an indication that deep down you know abortion is wrong.
no abortion isn't wrong. do you prefer women be forced to give birth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:48 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,870,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That you want to split hairs to justify who can be killed and who can't is an indication that deep down you know abortion is wrong.
Well yes abortion is wrong in terms of bad choices. One should not bring a potential person into existence unless it is to be born and loved. I would fault the conservatives in that they want the kid born but want to dump the loved part. That would mean we as a society if we insist the kid be born would also insist the child be well provided for. We won't do that.

That it is a matter for the state however is a different argument. A wrong choice yes...a matter for the state no. We need to let people deal with their bad choices. Particularly if we are not really willing to intervene. The decision by the state that a child must be born should include a provision that the child will be well provided for.

A great area for the state to stay out of...

Old 07-16-2015, 08:52 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,369,740 times
[quote=hothulamaui;40441187
you want me to use the term baby parts for drama? ok will do. what do you want them to do with the aborted baby parts? throw them away?

[/QUOTE]

You are caught in a terrible bind. After justifying abortion as nothing more than vacuuming a blob, now we are told how valuable the “fetus” is and we should be very careful where we put the knife. How can politics blind someone to this degree? More than anything else this episode puts an end to the myth that what is being aborted is an Amoeba.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM

12,177 posts, read 8,567,068 times
How about, since some of us can rationalize this deeply moral subject so flippantly, to be fair we give every woman the right to one abortion and pro-life folks can pick up the tag; The second time the "mistake" happens, we can harvest mom and dad's organs? That should help people be a little more conscious of what they are doing wrong. It's really not that difficult to stay unfertilized if you don't want to have a baby bad enough.

Seriously, I'm amazed that this issue is really at the root of all human existence and can be considered simply from a materialistic point of view for so many.

Do people really think of the horror of a living being being crushed to death in its mother's womb in order to guarantee it doesn't accidently get to take a breath and therefor be classified a real baby? It's easy to avoid that thought if you use the right words. And by making the mother the victim of having to carry and birth the child we can transfer all the pain and drama to her and not have to think about the potential life at all. Maybe it's only fair to give equal thought to both?

And why not harvest the organs of living unwanted babies? After all breathing is really about the only thing they are capable of doing on their own. And unwanted children often grow up to be unpleasant adults. We've got plenty of those we'd never miss.

These are a few of the more absurd thoughts I've had about the subject. To me it's a sacred choice, nearly unspeakable and hardly the topic for a group of scholarly men to decide by law. I wouldn't presume to tell another woman what to do about her dilemma and I wouldn't want to be dependent on society's laws to decide for myself.

I guess we've decided that we have to have something uniform in place as a society but I still have a deep sadness for the bare-bone depravity of some life situations to feel one must make such a decision. Anyone who has birthed a loved and wanted child may understand what I am struggling to say.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,870,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You are caught in a terrible bind. After justifying abortion as nothing more than vacuuming a blob, now we are told how valuable the “fetus” is and we should be very careful where we put the knife. How can politics blind someone to this degree? More than anything else this episode puts an end to the myth that what is being aborted is an Amoeba.
There is no bind.

After extracting the mass as safely as possible the physician can do anything reasonable to provide most value to the tissue. Perfectly reasonable.

One always maintains value if it does nothing bad.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:01 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,369,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There is no bind.

After extracting the mass as safely as possible the physician can do anything reasonable to provide most value to the tissue. Perfectly reasonable.

One always maintains value if it does nothing bad.
Extracting the mass? Provide most value to the tissue? What the heck is that? The fact that you can’t bring to say what is really done and have to resort to code speak speaks volumes.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 PM

18,477 posts, read 19,127,148 times
Quote:

I have never said abortion is like vacuuming a blob. it is a fetus, potential life.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,111,908 times
Quote:
I am sure if you dig deep you’ll find Joseph Mengele saying the same thing at some point in his defense. Listen, I don’t care if you cure cancer tomorrow. You can’t harvest body parts. It is repugnant, immoral, criminal and revolting. It is two steps away from becoming an industry, if it is not already, where poor women get pregnant to sell the child’s organs. Same thing happened with child support payments for unwed mothers. Having more children became a source of income.

"Now, at Auschwitz, with full license to maim or kill his subjects, Mengele performed a broad range of agonizing and often lethal experiments with Jewish and Roma (“Gypsy”) twins, most of them children."
Using your 2 steps away meme we should be banning a lot of things.

Right off the top.....organ donation. If we allow people to donate their organs, the next thing you know, doctors will be killing healthy people just to harvest their organs. Therefore, organ donation must be banned!

Two more that come to mind are guns and alcohol. Every time you sell someone a gun or alcohol you are two steps away from that person maiming or killing an innocent person because of it. Therefore, guns and alcohol should be banned!

Now, do you really want to go there?

Were Jewish and Roma fetuses? So much for that argument.

Aborted fetal tissue/organs can be disposed of in two ways: 1. Thrown in the garbage. 2. Used for scientific research to benefit the living.

A society with any intelligence at all would choose option number 1.

We are no longer superstitious cave dwellers.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
A fetus with tissue and partially formed organs that cannot sustain life outside of the womb is being aborted.

Better to use that material for research than throw it in the garbage.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I am pro-abortion. What strikes me about this situation though is how it seems to contradict the common talking point about late term abortions being so rare as to be almost non existent. If these harvested organs are usable then the babies must have developed to a rather advanced state before they were killed.
The organs being saved for research are not fully developed enough to sustain life outside of the womb or I am sure they would be using them to save the lives of infants in need of transplants.

But then again, I am sure there would be certain people against using a heart salvaged from a late term abortion due to, let's say, anencephaly, to save the life of an infant. That would be quite a dilemma for those certain people, wouldn't it?

Needless to say, there is obviously valuable knowledge to be gleaned from these organs even though they are not fully developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events