Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 02:05 PM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Corporate McDonalds won't suffer, but the franchise owners will.

1. "Corporate McDonald's" is owned by shareholders, many of whom are middle-class (like me).

2. You have to be pretty rich to own a McDonald's franchise. They are very expensive to buy into, unlike other franchised fast-food outlets like Subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:14 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Well about time, corporate welfare needs to end.

Let's start paying some livable wages to these people so our taxes don't go to programs to feed and house these workers.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:20 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
These fast food places are going to be inundated with applications. Let the competition begin.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
1. "Corporate McDonald's" is owned by shareholders, many of whom are middle-class (like me).

2. You have to be pretty rich to own a McDonald's franchise. They are very expensive to buy into, unlike other franchised fast-food outlets like Subway.
Your personal bank account used to acquire a McDonald's restaurant has nothing to do with the income it generates.

You think those franchise owners should pay out of their pockets now ?

Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Of course it does.
It will severely decrease the value of the middle class's dollar. Someone who went and got an A.S. degree and has been making $17/hr doing drafting or radiology, or even nursing, just went from making double what fast-food workers made to only $2 more. You don't see a problem with this? The $17/hr workers aren't getting 70% salary increases. COL hikes are typically around 2% yearly.
It will either lead to further inflation of other wages or the competition to get a fast food job will get harder. I would love to work in retail again, like I did in high school and college. Very low stress compared to teaching and I like dealing with people.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/ny...d-workers.html

This is a 70% increase in pay for folks who, for the most part, decided not to go to school or pick up a trade, or work their ways up into management roles...

Meanwhile, middle class wages are practically stagnant.
I received a whooping 5% COL raise this year -- still more than most.

It's a sad world when the lazy can go protest and whine against the government and the government gives in.
In many places, fast food workers are now making more than crane operators and medical technicians.
Just think though, parents can stop sending their kids to college. While their kids are flipping burgers, they will be saving thousands.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:40 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I tell you what, I wouldn't want to have their job. Not because it pays like crap (that doesn't help), but because I wouldn't be able to handle that stress.

Stress is a payable factor, one that fast food workers aren't getting compensated for at all.
It's not that stressful.I worked at subway and loved it. I've worked retail jobs too and loved it.

You wake up, put on your uniform, and go into work. No prep, no working at home, and less stress than most office jobs. You just have to take the order, accept the payment, fill it right, and give it to the customer with a smile. Most people use credit cards now and cash registers tell you how much change to give out.

If you have a nasty customer, they are gone quickly. Much better than the parent of a student I taught in the inner city who threatened me with a gun. If someone is brandishing a gun at a minimum wage place, they usually just want money. I would just hand it over quickly.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Well about time, corporate welfare needs to end.

Let's start paying some livable wages to these people so our taxes don't go to programs to feed and house these workers.
What type of corporate welfare does McDonald's get ?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/ny...d-workers.html

This is a 70% increase in pay for folks who, for the most part, decided not to go to school or pick up a trade, or work their ways up into management roles...

Meanwhile, middle class wages are practically stagnant.
I received a whooping 5% COL raise this year -- still more than most.

It's a sad world when the lazy can go protest and whine against the government and the government gives in.
In many places, fast food workers are now making more than crane operators and medical technicians.
A 5% COLA is pretty good! I've worked for the same school district for 23 years and I don't think I've ever seen a 5% COLA. Considering the past six or seven years we are doing pretty decently this year with .62%.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:47 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What type of corporate welfare does McDonald's get ?
Something like this maybe?

McDonald's Costs Taxpayers $1.2 Billion Annually - Business Insider

Walmart beats these guys though

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events