Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do know that the four assassinations happened without protection right? Do you want to see another president to be shot in office?
Well, if it's ok for a regular person to HAVE to go around without protection and having to worry about being killed/robbed/maimed then how is the President (a person, not a god contrary to popular belief) any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
, Schindlers list comment, how ignorant! That was the Nazis not just your every day police officer or army . That was brainwashing to the max and even if most Jews had a gun it would have made no difference to their survival as it was an ideology. A lot were gassed and starved as well as shot.To compare genocide to harden your argument just shows how dumb you are, because of this do you now see all jews and others affected carrying a gun, no I don't think so! They humbly rebuilt their communities and didn't arm themselves go on the rampage with a gun shooting all Germans because of it.

Our police are not armed where I come from and those that are(special firearms/terrorist squad) most don't go around on some power trip shooting everyone like your argument above. They sometimes take a while to respond to calls depending on where you live but do we feel the need to arm ourselves to the max NO! One of unarmed soldiers was beheaded outside a barracks when he was off duty by a terrorist, do we then all pick up a gun and have it at home as justification for a weapon No! and none in our nation are calling for this or to have a weapon at home, so sorry but it is definitely a culture thing here and the USA obsession with having one because its their right. meanwhile the mass violence worsens and continues and more innocent lives get lost. Be interesting to see the figures for people killed/injured by accident by some trigger happy person exercising their constitutional right! Bit like the teacher who was sacked here for playing with her weapon at school in a restroom whilst sat on the toilet, which then went off and shot her in the leg and put a bullet through a door. Luckily no kids were in there at the time as obviously the safety catch was not on and she was just fooling around for fun! But hey at least she was excercising her constitutional right so that makes it ok then doesn't it!

You completely missed the point he made. You are dense to the point concrete is as water. The Germans were systematically disarmed for a reason as were the Chinese and Russians. Armed citizens are easily cowed. If you live in England you know this well.

Your second paragraph was as an adult speaking in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So that makes the victims of guys like Houser just necessary collateral damage?

Any less than the 4 at the Embassy in BENGHAZI?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:45 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
...and there's the problem. So, you wouldn't agree with people being licensed and having guns registered to owners in exchange for the ability to carry said guns in all 50 states without question?
What other rights do you want to require a license for? Should there be qualifications and licensing required to be able to speak out freely as well?

I'm fine with minor accomodations as far as gun control goes but once it gets to the point where basically it is seen more as a privilege than a right, the whole "right to bare arms" goes right out the window.

In anycase, any minor black market disruptions could be filled by our cartel friends from across the border who are bringing in plenty of Chinese weapons via the drug trade, if they can sneak tons of drugs across the border on a daily basis, they sure can bring in plenty of weapons too should the demand exist.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:55 PM

914 posts, read 973,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
You work in Utah, right ?

I can bet you the majority of your 11 year old boys did not just "saw" a gun, they have one (most likely a .22LR rifle). People usually start teaching their kids at 8-9, when they are old enough to understand instructions and follow rules. Especially in Utah.

So, do you think your class is full of little murderers ? Or boys who will grow into men that are honest, law abiding, and know how to use their guns safely ?

My eldest son has been shooting a rifle I bought for him since he was 10. I just started him on handguns. He is a good shooter but he doesn't really seem to have interest in guns. That's perfectly fine with me. At least he learned firearms safety, he knows to respect them and not treat them as toys, and if ever needed, he will be able to use one to defend himself. He's an honest, (sometimes too honest ), compassionate, hard working boy, and I hope one day will grow up into an honest, compassionate, hard working adult. And if he's an armed adult, he's not going to be a danger to society, just the opposite.

Have you ever tried to go to a shooting range, try it for yourself, and talk to people there ? At the very least, this could be a fresh new experience for you.
I work with children from Kindergarten to Grade 5 so yes up to age 11. As I mentioned here the US has more of a culture of guns than the UK where you would not expect to have children see a gun and would fear it if they did.Like I said, I have no problem with guns in a controlled environment for adults and I also commend you for teaching your child to use a gun safely some may follow your lead and some may not therein lies the problem especially where a gun is involved. The same can be said for everything as a parent, if you don't teach them then some don't learn. If you don't teach your kids manners then chances are they will not have them unless someone else chooses to step in and do it for you. Sometimes this will be a teacher or another child and sometimes that child lacks manners or respect.

No I don't think that all the kids are murderers at all, same as all kids don't start out as racist or see colour. It is other influences that can affect that. Utah is a good example actually as you do have parents who influence how their children think, and also interact with other children because of their religious beliefs. I respect the fact others have different beliefs(my husband & I are different faiths) but I do not accept that children should not play with others because they are seen as bad because they don't go to church or have the same religious belief. We remain impartial and remind children about kindness and playing with others and being a good friend, that is all you can do but unfortunately they will grow up in life some of them believing they should never mix with others that don't believe. Kids friendships in some cases are affected here by that influence as they would never dream of questioning it because they don't know any different . It is horrible to watch.The same can be said for other religions by the way. So therefore if guns are sometimes readily available and that person has not been shown the right way or has an issue with someone they see as a problem they may not logically use that weapon in the way it was intended or for some reason they end up with a mental illness they may not have that rational thinking at the time. The same way some mums with post natal depression harm their kids. They may be rational when they originally had that firearm but that can change.

I haven't been to a range and I know many in my husbands office do go. I find it hard to get my head round even being anywhere near a gun but living here I guess I have to accept it and even realise that one day it may save my life. Not neccesarily from crime but from wildlife even when I am out hiking and even that will be hard to get my head round if confronted by a bear because it maybe a life or death situation but I do not have a wish to kill anything intentionally !

Old 07-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
and that's living in the land of the free is it sending your kids to an armed guard school?I'll take Europe any day. We have no weapons at home in schools or armed guards, we just have a buzzer on reception to let people in, secure doors throughout the school and a closed recess yard with security codes which parents are not allowed to have the code to only staff , no parents can access the recess areas or school without going through the front desk first, and bar Dumblane there has no been a reoccurance and we disarmed after that incident. No armed guards, no private school in order to protect kids. We have a panic alarm linked to the local police.
We have a buzzer to let people into school and playgrounds are secured not by armed guards but coded gates. If the code gets found out it is changed immediately and is changed anyway often every term. Do we have mass shootings in schools in the UK ...No! and yet we have criminals and mental illness, yet not one criminal feels the need to go into a school and shoot at innocent children on a monthly basis or in a church or place of worship why do you think that is? no armed guards either?

Here in the US but because of the need for people to arm themselves I feel less safe than what I do in the UK and about my children's safety but I still do not arm myself. I agree we don't have armed guards here and don't think we should as this just makes kids think guns are normal and part of life to me they are not. Nothing to do with being a liberal and everything to do with the European culture.

Where I live here in the US, the recess yard is completely open even though reception is secure. Parents who I don't know just walk onto the recess yard during school hours and there are no coded gates unlike the UK or secure gates onto the recess yard. So even a disgruntled parent can just walk on into that yard, if they are armed under their so called right then my kid stands no chance, if they were not they do! But I guess you will have some argument about that too.

Give me Europe any day.Kids here see guns as normal to every day life, coming from Europe kids don't maybe that's because not all our police force is armed too.

Enjoy your right, whilst others lose their other right which is to live freely. Something which is a fallacy here as I feel anything but regardless of weapons. Same with the free speech thing here. Free speech as long as it tows the line otherwise watch out you are either going to hell or getting your head blown off and you are a bleeding liberal rather than actually someone who is accepting and tolerant.

An elaborate alarm system was supposedly in effect at the abandoned SHES.

I grew up in TX, mid 60s, where everyone carried guns openly. Trucks had rifle racks and the rifles were loaded. No one was shot and certainly not at a schoolyard.
Progressive liberal nut jobs - the left - had not spread their filth yet. As liberals spread their filth deeper and deeper American society went to hell. People are mentally insane but it's OK by liberals. They can be rehabilitated and are no danger to society. The fact Hollywood, liberals, continue to pump out films which glorify gunplay and violence is non productive as too many don't know movies from real life. Same for role playing video games which allows for characters running around blasting the hell out of anything which moves.

Funny thing is there are 3 places people don't pull a gun and start shooting others - guns stores, gun shows and gun ranges.
And certainly not in my home.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
All those "law abiding people" are the source of the guns used in all these tragedies. With the exception of a few weapons smuggled into this country every firearm here starts out legally owned and then far too many are either mishandled or otherwise transferred to someone who uses them illegally. Why does anyone have a problem with keeping that from happening in the first place?

Does anyone out there believe Rusty Houser should have had that gun?
He had every legal right to until he turned criminal. We don't jail people for thoughtcrimes yet.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's a braindead comment. Who said the US government should have nukes? It certainly wasn't me.

Maybe nukes should be banned. Really banned, as in kept out of private AND PUBLIC hands. But that's another discussion that has nothing to do with the fact that unilaterally disarming citizens -- in other words, depriving them of the ability to defend themselves -- is morally wrong.
Agreed.

The grenade launcher/nukes argument is a sign they have no more to offer and resort to emotional weakness.
Who wants either anyway? A grenade launcher might be cool if the National Guard starts stormtrooping but for the most part, no.
A nuclear weapon means you better be miles away or your ass is toast as well. Film footage from the Enola Gay is proof of that.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Have you been to parts of south London? east London and north London? You are right they do police them better and not all our police are armed! But there are still areas where response times are too long. Yes its true they are on a smaller scale but they are there and they are not just black. We have lots of eastern Europeans too that are involved in crime. But because its harder to gain access to weapons there are probably less of them plus our culture is less divided in terms of race and guns are not seen as part of our culture or everyday life especially as kids growing up hence why we fee the way we do. We do treat mental illness and I think also have a better understanding of it sometimes rather than just calling people crazies! People who are mentally ill are so for a variety of reasons and some may never be rehabilitated or cured . We don't treat all or as many as we could and there are many that slip through the net, but yet we still don't run for the gun or feel like sitting ducks in our own country
I agree in some respects that its too late for the USA, guns are so normal here now and engrained in culture it would be impossible to ban/restrict them anyway and more lives would probably get lost. How do you change years of people thinking its normal to be armed.

Ask Matt Dillon, Josh Randall, Wyatt Earp, Roy Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I've been to London. And Paris. And some parts of Eastern Europe.

It's not the guns. It's the mentality. I saw some bad hoods in Paris, but nothing like the ghettos here. I'm not asking if you've been to the bad areas of Detroit or Chicago since it's clear you haven't. An unarmed policeman would be very dead very fast there.

And the hooligans in London or Paris want to beat the crap out of you, they don't want to kill you. The ghetto thugs want to kill. They kill needlessly, just for the kicks.

Take their guns away, and they won't stop killing people.

Here's some more statistics. Murder by the type of weapons used for 2013.

In California, 1745 total murders. 521 not by firearms. That's 30%.

In Colorado, firearm murders were half of all murders. The other half by other means (and half of that by knives).

In Idaho, less than half of all murders were by firearms. Idaho is a gun friendly state and yet the killers used other weapons in more than half of murders.

In New Hampshire (remember, high levels of gun ownership, very low crime) there was 21 murder in the entire 2013, only in 5 were any firearms used.

In Wyoming, the US state that has the highest level of legal gun ownership, there was 15 murders and the guns were used in 9. 40% of murders in the most gun filled state of the nation did not involve firearms.

I think when you study that table you'd see the same thing as all other tables... the states that have the highest proportion of gun homicides vs other homicides are also the states that have the ghetto problem - and I can guarantee you that none of these guns are legally obtained.

And in California, 1/3 of murderers don't even bother with guns.

Take guns out of circulation, and that 30% will jump to 100%. I doubt they will stop killing people. They are pretty efficient without guns as it is.

Let's look at California again. The state population is under 40 million. The population of France is over 60 million. The total number of murders in France in 2012 was about 670. The number of murders without use of firearms in California - 521.

Let's repeat it again. In California, which has much smaller population than France, and in which criminals have far better access to guns, the number of murders where no guns were used is almost the same as the number of all murders in France.

So, the guns are the problem ?
Her head is made of rubber; facts bounce right off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events